Is it OK to leave the "Cats" in the trailer while on the road?

lappir

Yesterday for the first time I didn't move the cats to the truck when I was doing some things getting ready for the long move today. They seemed OK with it. Sure, once the slides started to close they found hiding places and pretty much stayed there, Once all the stuff was done (about an hour and a half later) and I was parked again I put the slides back out and very soon they came out to explore the Jeep (which was now in the garage). They love sitting on it looking out the windows in the garage, they can't see those windows except for the one that climbs the inversion table and get's it balanced so she can look out. Apparently where I have it set for my height works pretty well with her weight too. 

So, I'm moving about 3 hours today, but before that I'm spending a couple hours parked in a parking lot. It's cool today so I'm not worried about the heat in the truck as much as the cool. It's 43 degrees now with a projected high of 50. Perfect day for me and I'm pretty sure there is a warm spot in the truck for them to hide. The trailer does seem to hold it's temperature for much longer though. 

I've decided I'm going to try it today to the event. If they come out to me when I check them before leaving I'll gather them and take them to the truck for the 3 hour ride, if not I'll stop once and check before arriving. 

Wish I would have thought of this earlier and could have watched for some replies. I'm finishing up on the last minute prep and the computer will be going down soon. I don't access the forum on my hand held device. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I'm sure there are some that would label carrying pets in the trailer as some sort of cruelty, but the wife's folks left their two cats in the fiver while traveling and in all sorts of weather. The cats would find warm spots in the cold and on warm days they left the roof vents open and the temps would never get too warm. The cats much prefered the trailer to the truck. 

Edited by Chalkie
spelling

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I'm pretty sure your cats will let you know which they prefer. We had a cat that loved riding in the back window of the car and another one that hated the car altogether.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Well the time in the trailer was much longer than expected, but the same amount of time moving. Couldn't get the Autoshift to find neutral until 0300 this morning when I checked it for what turned out to be the last time. 

Checked the cats in the trailer several times over the night (each time I turned the key and hoped for a green "N" instead of a flashing red indicator. They would look at me when I opened the door and a couple time when I sat in the kitchen they would come out for attention. 

They are busy exploring again with the slides out and seem none the worse for the trip.

I will for sure bring them into the truck if I'm doing more than a 12 hour drive with an overnight potential stop. I missed them when I was sleeping in the truck as I do when I can't make it from exit to set up in one day. 

I'm in my new spot for about a week and then another 4 to 5 hour trip for a day or two and another 4 to 5 hours till I get to the Spring/early Summer spot. 

Rod

SxXeQmNl.jpg

One night I was wondering who was lying on my leg. Turned out to be both.

rl

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, hemsteadc said:

My Zia, 12yo female, rides very comfortably in the bedroom closet.  I've had her in there as long as 10 hours without a problem.

Did she tell you that?   😁

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

1 hour ago, jenandjon said:

In some states it is legal for humans to ride in the trailer so why not cats?

In most places animals usually are transported in a trailer or the non human occupied portion of a truck. My question was for the people with cat's and their experience. Those who don't live in a home on wheels know how traumatizing it can sometimes seem to be to transport your feline to and from a Vet  appointment, an occasional "Boarding" or what ever else requires you to load up the kitty. 

My next trip I will set up a camera in the trailer where I think they will hide out during the trip and record their reactions (I hope).  I know first hand that they really don't like the truck running, even when in the "house". It takes them a minute to come out and see who is in the house if I go out, start the truck and come back in for a bit. On the days I arrive home on the motorcycle, Jeep or Isuzu they are waiting at the door when I open it.

I'm not sure which one gets truck "sick" but I've found evidence of someone not liking the ride twice in the truck. Nothing so far in the trailer after their 4 hour ride several weeks ago. 

Thank you again for the replies and comments. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Gary and Larissa said:

Ours travel in the 5th wheel all the time. We removed the sofa bed and built a cat condo for them. They don't seem to mind as we can't hear them from the truck 😀

2007 Honda GL 1800

• 5 months later...

We always have left our cat in the trailer so she has access to the litter box. The dogs ride in the truck on my wife's lap and we let them out to do their business when we stop for lunch. In the hotter months we stayed long term at an RV park so we didn't have to deal with a hot trailer. All of our moves have been under four hours anyway.

I would never leave a pet in a trailer while traveling.  Put a camera back there and record the noise and movement while on the road.  Also be better to have a remote temperature reading while on the road.  These RVs get hot in the summer while on the road.  Now I do not have a great fondness for cats, but I would not subject a pet to being confined in a trailer.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Our cats absolutely hate riding in the truck.  On travel days all 3 get on the bed.  Two get under the covers and the third on top.  We have never had an issue with temperature.  We typically travel during the summer months so don't have to be concerned with cold weather.   We try to travel early in the morning arriving before the hottest part of the day.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

• 2 months later...