Tire Monitor

Av8r3400

Watching Dave and Karen's latest adventures made me think.  I don't have a tire monitor system.  I know asking this is dangerous, like asking what oil is best, but here goes:

What tire monster system do you have and why do you like it?   I'll need to monitor 6 tires on the trailer.

Edited by Av8r3400

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

• Av8r3400 changed the title to Tire Monitor

I know others will mention another brand but I have been using PressurePro, one model or another, since 2000 and wouldn't have any other.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Phil, would the other brand be Truck Systems Technologies?

We use the TST-507 system and it’s consistently worked over the last 8 years. We've had a couple occasions where the tire was losing pressure and we pulled over before the tread separated and any damage occurred. We did have to upgrade to the new display to avoid occasional over 500psi false alarms it was picking up from other systems.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

We have TST.  It’s about 3 years old and still works as it did on the first day.  I haven’t had to replace any of the sensors yet.  I ordered the small sensors but they have to be removed and replaced to check or add air.  I would order the flow through design if I did it again.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

I have the TST system.  It is the only one I have used, so have no frame of reference to compare it to anything else.  My TST system has been flawless since I bought it in 2011.  I have upgraded the displays from the original monochromatic, to the color display and now to the very nice and large touch screen color display (a great upgrade).  I originally started with the cap style sensors, but didn’t like having to remove them to air up tires.  I now use flow through sensors and like them.  

I still have the old displays, mounts, power cords and a bunch of extra flow through sensors (10 I think).  The only thing I don’t have to build a complete system is the repeater.  If you are interested, I’d be willing to let it all go at a reasonable price.  Let me know.  I was planning to bring it to the WCR to see if anyone there would be interested in it, but if you are in the market I’m happy to ship it to you.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

On 3/12/2023 at 11:47 PM, Chad Heiser said:

I have the TST system.  It is the only one I have used, so have no frame of reference to compare it to anything else.  My TST system has been flawless since I bought it in 2011.  I have upgraded the displays from the original monochromatic, to the color display and now to the very nice and large touch screen color display (a great upgrade).  I originally started with the cap style sensors, but didn’t like having to remove them to air up tires.  I now use flow through sensors and like them.  

I still have the old displays, mounts, power cords and a bunch of extra flow through sensors (10 I think).  The only thing I don’t have to build a complete system is the repeater.  If you are interested, I’d be willing to let it all go at a reasonable price.  Let me know.  I was planning to bring it to the WCR to see if anyone there would be interested in it, but if you are in the market I’m happy to ship it to you.

Thank you, Chad.  I will keep this in mind.  I'm an in-depth researcher so I need to educate myself on these systems and see what I'm looking for before I jump into anything just yet.  I won't be doing any traveling for a couple months yet, so I have some time.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

7 minutes ago, ddm502001 said:

Hate to say I am REALLY Old school, Still Check at least every few days, inflated pressure with a Bayonet style Gauge.  Never found that too involved.  Not that I would ever state DO NOT TRUST Modern Electronics🙃

X2.  My experience with a monitor system was not pleasant, nor cheap.  I learned that if you have a sudden tire failure on a middle tire, the flying tread can grab the other valve cap sensors and yank them from the rim.  Now you have three flat tires instead of one.  Compound that with having to buy all new sensors because the batteries were not replaceable, and I have been reluctant to go down that road again.

So, my old school solution, for now, is to run tires of double the weight capacity of those specified for our trailer, and check them often.  If not by gauge, at least thump them every stop.  In the 4 years since I put these tires on, I've had to add air to two, and only perhaps 10 psi.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

39 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

X2.  My experience with a monitor system was not pleasant, nor cheap.  I learned that if you have a sudden tire failure on a middle tire, the flying tread can grab the other valve cap sensors and yank them from the rim.  Now you have three flat tires instead of one.  Compound that with having to buy all new sensors because the batteries were not replaceable, and I have been reluctant to go down that road again.

So, my old school solution, for now, is to run tires of double the weight capacity of those specified for our trailer, and check them often.  If not by gauge, at least thump them every stop.  In the 4 years since I put these tires on, I've had to add air to two, and only perhaps 10 psi.

I'll add a third vote. My issue was with an inside tire on my truck showing low. I stopped put the gauge on it and yes it was a bit low until I pulled the gauge off and then the valve core would not reseat. Fancy aluminum wheels didn't have large enough holes in them for me to get my valve core tool in to replace it so the tire completely deflated. Expensive service call where they had to remove the outside tire to replace the valve  core and air it back up. (Never went low again). 

As soon as I got to my destination, traded the aluminum for steel and got rid of all the monitors. I did put Crossfires on several years ago and have to just walk by to see if they are within range. I still put a gauge on them before any major trip. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July.