Professional Driving School - what's your opinion, Worth it?

Scott & Kat

So I'll start with, we don't own a HDT, yet - but it's a planned purchase soon.  We've been to a few rallys and we even got a chance to drive one the Parking lot in Hutchinson.  Thanks! 

I know I can get a Class A permit (we live in Texas), buy an HDT and then take the driving course, but I was thinking about taking a Professional Truck Driving course at the local college.  What I would like to get out of it is the experience and confidence to drive an HDT - regardless of the traffic conditions.  

My kids both took a Performance Driving Experience when they were learning to drive and I know they are better drivers because of it.  I'm looking for something similar.    

I'm sure they will teach portions I'm not interested in like the Federal DOT rules and driving logs, but my mind is already cluttered with useless facts, so a bit more won't hurt. :)

I'm on the fence over this and I'm looking for thoughts and opinions.   

Do it!  I took a similar 4 week course at a private company when I got my CDL.  The  regulatory stuff is but a small part of the classroom instruction, most of it is practical knowledge like how to do a pre-trip inspection, how air brakes work and their limitations, how to shift a non-synchronized transmission, how to handle a blowout, defensive driving, etc.  Then there's the on the road instruction which is invaluable.  They'll likely even arrange for a DMV representative to come in and administer the CDL driving test at the end of the course.  BTW, I decided I didn't want to be an over the road driver about midway through but continued to the end to get my Class A license.

Edited by Lou Schneider

I'll never dissuade anyone from educating themselves in subject matter they'd like to learn more about.  However, you shouldn't have great expectations about what you'll learn in a CDL licensing program.  The purpose of CDL driving schools is to teach for the CDL test; that's IT.  The school considers itself a success if you pass the test.  No one goes to a commercial driving school to learn how to become a professional driver.  Witness some of the "professional" drivers on the road today.  The task of real driver training is left to the company that will hire the newly minted driver.  Depending upon the quality of the school, you may see little seat time because of the number of students in the class.  As @Lou Schneidersaid above, there are some definite advantages to a course in terms of basic learning aids.  The Performance Driving Experience provides significantly more "road" time.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Do it,

Most community college courses are pretty minimal but, they do get you seat time and many have their own testers.    Learing how to do a pre-trip, backing and, just getting a feel for a large vehicle is great exposure.

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

You'd likely get enough out of a driving school to build your confidence a bit.  Hopefully, you'd also gain some knowledge about the truck systems and dynamics.  But as spindrift said, seat time is most important.  Do some homework on the course before hand to see what it actually offers.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

What it boils down to is these schools are taking the place of State Inspector required Driving Tests.  Here in MO should one take a CDL test at a license center 90% fail up to three times, buddy of mine at the Nuke needed one and this happened to him as he failed the pre trip inspect twice due to NOT Vocal enough during walk around, where then took a training class at a Community College, written test passed at License office, Driving test WAIVED due to Instructional hours behind the wheel at the school, license issued.

Dave

When I attended the CDL driving school, the written test was administered at the local DMV office under the same conditions as a private applicant.  Two state driving examiners came to the school's site to administer the pre-trip inspections and driving tests as a matter of convenience instead of having three dozen applicants along with the school's trucks and trailers clogging up the DMV office.   The driving test was identical to what would have been administered to a private applicant, in fact a couple of private CDL applicants and their vehicles were accommodated at the same time.

Edited by Lou Schneider

On 2/24/2023 at 9:20 AM, Scott & Kat said:

I know I can get a Class A permit (we live in Texas), buy an HDT and then take the driving course,    

Would you please clarify what you mean by "class A permit"? There is no "permit" required in Texas to operate an RV. Just go get your Class A drivers license. Take all the classes you want, as others have said training is good. But unless the school requires you to get something else, just go straight to the DL.

Edited by Big5er

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Phil woke up!!!  Hey bud, where ya been?   We'll be come'n through your home base in a couple weeks.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

11 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Phil woke up!!!  Hey bud, where ya been?   We'll be come'n through your home base in a couple weeks.

Now that Phil has chimed in, I'll recall a time spent in South Florida shortly after getting my stuff. My younger brothers were also OTR drivers for many years and I learned a lot from just listening to their stories. 

I had parked my brand new big trailer at a small equestrian "Ranch" in South Florida. I was too big for the first spot they suggested but they had an alternative that I could use. I got parked and set up, but it was a big JOB. If any one has watched the YouTube videos of Dave and Sondra, I wish I had some of their "Traction Things" when I parked. I used my 200# Steel ramps. Can't just throw them under the wheels, but they worked the same. (Hint. Dry sand bad, wet sand better.)

So, long story shorter (maybe). I drove by a "Truck Driving School" multiple times during my stay in SFL. They had several Day Cabs and I thought maybe I could hire one for the move out of my spot. I spent several days visiting the school, watching the activities and deciding on which truck I thought was in the best shape (some were terrible) I also spent a lot of time in the office waiting on the "Owner" to talk with about my plan. Remember the recent item on the news about a Nursing School down there who just printed out diplomas so people could sit for the nursing board exam? Well it's sort of what they were doing at that driving school, or so it appeared. Way more students sitting in the class than they had trucks for. Hardly ever saw one of the trucks go off property. I didn't follow up with my plan, but did wait till after a little rain shower before I tried to move off my spot.  I did stay there again the next year too. 

Spend some time at the school before signing up. Attend one of the three (that I know of)  HDT Rally's  and remember the GOAL. It's the best lesson you can learn. There is a reason why it's on a lot of truck mirrors. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

23 hours ago, rickeieio said:

I would love to see yall...please call me when you know a date. Spendingbanybtime here?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

No. Just be careful, swing wide on turns until you get the feel. Keep your speed under control going off a hill, use your gears and engine brake. Don't follow too close. Remember how tall you are. Look down the road where you want to go and don't try staying in your lane by using your mirrors. Not saying don't check them, but many people will spend all their time looking in their mirrors trying to stay in their lane. No need to do that. Check them often, but look where you want to go and you will go there. The feel will come to you before you know it. (and stay in the slow lane.)

23 minutes ago, mike5511 said:

No. Just be careful, swing wide on turns until you get the feel. Keep your speed under control going off a hill, use your gears and engine brake. Don't follow too close. Remember how tall you are. Look down the road where you want to go and don't try staying in your lane by using your mirrors. Not saying don't check them, but many people will spend all their time looking in their mirrors trying to stay in their lane. No need to do that. Check them often, but look where you want to go and you will go there. The feel will come to you before you know it. (and stay in the slow lane.)

A good driving school will teach you how to safely do those things. We we taught to look out the passenger window at the curb we were pulling around to determine when to swing. We were taught how to use the engine brake. We were taught to pay close attention to roadside traffic signs. We were taught how to split the lane when turning from a 2-lane into a one lane. But, all of that was at The RV Driving School, not some tech college course. I think it was well worth paying for their knowledge and ability to explain things.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On 2/28/2023 at 10:12 PM, sandsys said:

A good driving school will teach you how to safely do those things. We we taught to look out the passenger window at the curb we were pulling around to determine when to swing. We were taught how to use the engine brake. We were taught to pay close attention to roadside traffic signs. We were taught how to split the lane when turning from a 2-lane into a one lane. But, all of that was at The RV Driving School, not some tech college course. I think it was well worth paying for their knowledge and ability to explain things.

Linda Sand

And those are good things to learn, especially if you have no knowledge of large vehicles at all. Some schools are better than others. I've seen a bunch driver's that apparently slept through school, or went to a bad one.  But, the millions of truckers who learned before all these schools, learned from individual driver's who had learned from other drivers. Setting and talking to an experienced driver, going with him, or taking him with you in your new 42' motorhome, will teach you more effectively and quicker than those schools. The schools will teach you how to pass the CDL test, if needed. From what I've seen of these new crop of drivers, that is apparently about all they did learn. I've got a friend that sold RVs for years, still dabbles in used ones some. He would take a person who had never driven a motorhome out for a day of driving.  In town, out on the highway, parking lots, etc. The last one he did was a woman who had never driven anything bigger than her car. But she wasn't afraid to try. By the end of the day, she was wheeling that thing around with confidence and doing a great job. That is training worth your time! I don't know about schools for driving RVs. I'd say that would be worth your time. The questions I initially answered was; "Would you think to take a commercial driving school if you purchased a 42 foot motor home?" And I still say no. An RV driving school? For me no, but I think it would be great for those who were apprehensive and had no knowledge or experience of driving a large vehicle. 

1 hour ago, mike5511 said:

And those are good things to learn, especially if you have no knowledge of large vehicles at all. Some schools are better than others. I've seen a bunch driver's that apparently slept through school, or went to a bad one.  But, the millions of truckers who learned before all these schools, learned from individual driver's who had learned from other drivers. Setting and talking to an experienced driver, going with him, or taking him with you in your new 42' motorhome, will teach you more effectively and quicker than those schools. The schools will teach you how to pass the CDL test, if needed. From what I've seen of these new crop of drivers, that is apparently about all they did learn. I've got a friend that sold RVs for years, still dabbles in used ones some. He would take a person who had never driven a motorhome out for a day of driving.  In town, out on the highway, parking lots, etc. The last one he did was a woman who had never driven anything bigger than her car. But she wasn't afraid to try. By the end of the day, she was wheeling that thing around with confidence and doing a great job. That is training worth your time! I don't know about schools for driving RVs. I'd say that would be worth your time. The questions I initially answered was; "Would you think to take a commercial driving school if you purchased a 42 foot motor home?" And I still say no. An RV driving school? For me no, but I think it would be great for those who were apprehensive and had no knowledge or experience of driving a large vehicle. 

This was my point in posing the question, seems as though some are intimidated in the “Semi” tractor, but those same folks will jump in a large motor home and drive it away.

Certainly you should know and learn the difference in a large retired commercial truck and an f350.

I have been fortunate enough to drive a large variety of motor vehicles in my life, and all of them require different methods to control for your protection and others.

I will say my Volvo is much easier to handle and maneuver than the large motor homes I have driven.

Folks do not need to be intimidated to drive the big rigs, they need to be thoughtful, and careful.

The motoring public can rent a 24 foot box truck or a 38 foot motor home with no training.  

Rent the biggest U-Haul you can find before you pick up your truck and drive around the town your Grandkids live in.  You’ll quickly pick up swing wide, slow down, leave space, pay attention, and watch out for the Grandkids at ALL times.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

There was a guy that does HDT driving classes at the West Coast Rally a couple years ago. I had his info but lost it. I don't think the guy does social media. If Chad Heiser runs across this maybe, he can relay the info. I didn't take the class but others who did said he was really good. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

16 hours ago, jenandjon said:

There was a guy that does HDT driving classes at the West Coast Rally a couple years ago. I had his info but lost it. I don't think the guy does social media. If Chad Heiser runs across this maybe, he can relay the info. I didn't take the class but others who did said he was really good. 

His name is Glyn Carson.  I haven’t talked to him in a while so I’m not sure if he is still doing driving instruction, but his email is twolanedrivingtips@hotmail.com.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg