Starlink is now $150/month for RVs

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Wonder what the price will be in another 5 years. I'll wait. 

I have an old unlimited data cell plan for a little less monthly charge, but it's my phone, GPS, music and news that I can take anywhere and it's my WIFI and most of my TV watching source all in a little hand held device. When or if the price comes down to lower than what I'm paying for cell service, I might reconsider the "Starlink" for now I'll wait. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I guess Elon has to pay for all that usage from the Ukrainian military that he has now taken away, plus his big losses on Twitter.

Ken 

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

54 minutes ago, pjstough said:

Pure capitalism, supply and demand at work.

Yep, and if it helps Starlink get more satellites up there I am all for it. For us it is still the best deal for the amount of reliable internet we use. We have a number of devices that would likely overload our phones and when we leave the house we would then lose access to devices that rely on constant internet like our security cams outside and the one inside that lets keep an eye on the pup.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I was not surprised to see the price increase, though I’m disappointed in it.  Like others, I got rid of DirecTV when I bought Starlink but didn’t change any of my cellular services.  It’s still worth it for me, I use it often enough that I haven’t paused it.

It’s also not the only subscription that has been going up.  I still have a subscription to Adobe Acrobat Pro, but I can’t think of the last time I did anything that would require the pro features - it’s going up $60/year.  I’ll let it renew for the coming year but will be paying close attention to what I’m doing.

Other than some LTE/cellular services it still seems the best deal available. HughesNet is still working. But limited and slow compared to Starlink. Would not be an alternative for me were we still full-time on the road. "No hard data limit" means they slow you down to unusable speeds - "If you exceed your plan data, we won't cut you off or charge you more. Stay connected at reduced speeds, typically 1-3 Mbps????????

"Choose a plan below to get started
15 GB
$6499
/mon.
Reg. $64.99

down-arrow.png25mbps
down
Designed For:

Singles or couples looking for fast Internet while covering their Internet browsing data needs.

All Plans Include:
  • Built-in Wi-Fi
  • Unlimited Data. No Hard Data Limit
  • Up To $199 in Savings With Free Professional Installation.††Limited Time Offer!

30 GB
$4999
/mon.
for first 6 months! *
Reg. $74.99 Offer ends 03/29/2023
$100 Prepaid Card via Rebate ***
down-arrow.png25mbps
down
Great For:

Small connected families with casual browsing and streaming habits at lightning-fast speeds.

All Plans Include:
  • Built-in Wi-Fi
  • Up To $199 in Savings With Free Professional Installation.††Limited Time Offer!

New! Fusion 50 GB
$7499
/mon.
for first 6 months! *
Reg. $99.99 Offer ends 03/29/2023
down-arrow.png25mbps
down
Perfect For:

Households looking to connect multiple devices and consume the data they need, when they need it.

All Plans Include:
  • Built-in Wi-Fi

New! Fusion 100 GB
$12499
/mon.
for first 6 months! *
Reg. $174.99 Offer ends 03/29/2023
down-arrow.png25mbps
down
Ideal For:

Families wanting fast access to large amounts of data for all their browsing and streaming needs.

All Plans Include:
  • Built-in Wi-Fi

Plan benefits
Service plans require a 24-month commitment.
Fast speeds!
25 Mbps download speeds. Responsive, reliable, fast.
Bonus Zone
50 GB/mo. of additional data during off-peak hours (2am-8am).
No Hard Data Limits
If you exceed your plan data, we won't cut you off or charge you more. Stay connected at reduced speeds, typically 1-3 Mbps.
Built-in Wi-Fi
Connect multiple devices in your home.
Video Data Saver
We'll automatically adjust data rates for streaming video so you can watch more and use less!

*Save $25 on the 30 GB, 50 GB and Fusion 50 GB plans, and save $50 on the 100 GB and Fusion 100 GB plans for 6 months. Offer not valid on 15 GB plan. After 6 months, plans revert to the standard monthly fee. New residential subscribers only. Certain geographical areas are not eligible to receive offer. Offer ends 1/3/23. Restrictions may apply. Offer void where prohibited.

††Free standard installation applies to new Lease subscribers only. Not valid with Purchase option. Limited-time offer.

Videos streaming services with minimum speed requirements will not operate properly.

Minimum term required. Monthly service and early termination fees apply. Visit legal.HughesNet.com for details. HughesNet is a registered trademark of Hughes Network Systems, LLC, an EchoStar company."

Source: https://www.satelliteinternetnow.com/?igp=39555&tel=1-833-722-8940&tbd=1&invsrc=1&sid=52798&gclid=9930382c3bb7134c327e5bd4de4d9e72&gclsrc=3p.ds&&gclid=9930382c3bb7134c327e5bd4de4d9e72&gclsrc=3p.ds&msclkid=9930382c3bb7134c327e5bd4de4d9e72&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ISG - Bing - HUGHES - BP - HughesNet Keywords - Exact&utm_term=cost of hughesnet&utm_content=HughesNet Price - Exact

And we know in prime time it can slow to MB/s and some users said KB/S speeds.

When we were fulltime 1997-2003 there were no streaming data or internet services or smartphones. We had to beg at the RV/Park offices of RV parks to use their fax phone line for toll free dial up at under 20KB/S. Later they had dedicated lines in a lounge usually one then several in some parks. I had a strap on MODEM that would not work on most pay phones. Some folks were paying up to $5k for the VSat system and services cost as much for less.

I remember long distance charges in the 60s were high, but I forgot how high. Here's an ad from then which shows their "low costs?":

"International long-distance telephone calls for “only” $12 for the first three minutes? And the ad says the cost is “low.” A handy little inflation calculator says $12 of 1965 dollars would be equivalent to $101.16 in 2021."

That is from a website with the full 1965 Ma Bell ad which is crazy by today's standards.

Cost increases hurt us all when we get them. I am not minimizing that anger and budget challenges. We have already dropped some streaming services for going up 10-15 dollars a month, so I am not minimizing or saying it's OK. For many of us on fixed incomes every dollar counts.

Here's that 1965 ad, amazing! https://clickamericana.com/topics/science-technology/international-phone-calls-1965#:~:text=International long-distance telephone calls for “only” %2412 for,dollars would be equivalent to %24101.16 in 2021.

Oh and we walked barefoot in the snow to the office to connect, uphill both ways! 😮😏

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 2/23/2023 at 12:58 PM, fpmtngal said:

I was not surprised to see the price increase, though I’m disappointed in it.  Like others, I got rid of DirecTV when I bought Starlink but didn’t change any of my cellular services.  It’s still worth it for me, I use it often enough that I haven’t paused it.................

I pay $180 for three lines with Verizon.  That is going away in the near future.

With StarLink I have wifi calling EVERYWHERE.  So I am thinking of switching to a very cheap phone plan with voice and text ONLY.  Using StarLink for data.

Looking a phone, internet and TV combined and how to mix and match the services. 

There is NO WAY that StarLink drops out from a service or economic point of view.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

4 hours ago, RV_ said:

Other than some LTE/cellular services it still seems the best deal available. HughesNet is still working. But limited and slow compared to Starlink. Would not be an alternative for me were we still full-time on the road. "No hard data limit" means they slow you down to unusable speeds - "If you exceed your plan data, we won't cut you off or charge you more. Stay connected at reduced speeds, typically 1-3 Mbps????????

"Choose a plan below to get started
15 GB
$6499
/mon.
Reg. $64.99

down-arrow.png25mbps
down
Designed For:

Singles or couples looking for fast Internet while covering their Internet browsing data needs.

All Plans Include:
  • Built-in Wi-Fi

30 GB
$4999
/mon.
for first 6 months! *
Reg. $74.99 Offer ends 03/29/2023
down-arrow.png25mbps
down
Great For:

Small connected families with casual browsing and streaming habits at lightning-fast speeds.

All Plans Include:
  • Built-in Wi-Fi

New! Fusion 50 GB
$7499
/mon.
for first 6 months! *
Reg. $99.99 Offer ends 03/29/2023
down-arrow.png25mbps
down
Perfect For:

Households looking to connect multiple devices and consume the data they need, when they need it.

All Plans Include:
  • Built-in Wi-Fi

New! Fusion 100 GB
$12499
/mon.
for first 6 months! *
down-arrow.png25mbps
down
Ideal For:

Families wanting fast access to large amounts of data for all their browsing and streaming needs.

All Plans Include:
  • Built-in Wi-Fi

Plan benefits
Service plans require a 24-month commitment.
Fast speeds!
25 Mbps download speeds. Responsive, reliable, fast.
Bonus Zone
50 GB/mo. of additional data during off-peak hours (2am-8am).
No Hard Data Limits
If you exceed your plan data, we won't cut you off or charge you more. Stay connected at reduced speeds, typically 1-3 Mbps.
Built-in Wi-Fi
Connect multiple devices in your home.
Video Data Saver
We'll automatically adjust data rates for streaming video so you can watch more and use less!

*Save $25 on the 30 GB, 50 GB and Fusion 50 GB plans, and save $50 on the 100 GB and Fusion 100 GB plans for 6 months. Offer not valid on 15 GB plan. After 6 months, plans revert to the standard monthly fee. New residential subscribers only. Certain geographical areas are not eligible to receive offer. Offer ends 1/3/23. Restrictions may apply. Offer void where prohibited.

††Free standard installation applies to new Lease subscribers only. Not valid with Purchase option. Limited-time offer.

Videos streaming services with minimum speed requirements will not operate properly.

Minimum term required. Monthly service and early termination fees apply. Visit legal.HughesNet.com for details. HughesNet is a registered trademark of Hughes Network Systems, LLC, an EchoStar company."

Source: https://www.satelliteinternetnow.com/?igp=39555&tel=1-833-722-8940&tbd=1&invsrc=1&sid=52798&gclid=9930382c3bb7134c327e5bd4de4d9e72&gclsrc=3p.ds&&gclid=9930382c3bb7134c327e5bd4de4d9e72&gclsrc=3p.ds&msclkid=9930382c3bb7134c327e5bd4de4d9e72&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ISG - Bing - HUGHES - BP - HughesNet Keywords - Exact&utm_term=cost of hughesnet&utm_content=HughesNet Price - Exact

And we know in prime time it can slow to MB/s and some users said KB/S speeds.

When we were fulltime 1997-2003 there were no streaming data or internet services or smartphones. We had to beg at the RV/Park offices of RV parks to use their fax phone line for toll free dial up at under 20KB/S. Later they had dedicated lines in a lounge usually one then several in some parks. I had a strap on MODEM that would not work on most pay phones. Some folks were paying up to $5k for the VSat system and services cost as much for less.

I remember long distance charges in the 60s were high, but I forgot how high. Here's an ad from then which shows their "low costs?":

"International long-distance telephone calls for “only” $12 for the first three minutes? And the ad says the cost is “low.” A handy little inflation calculator says $12 of 1965 dollars would be equivalent to $101.16 in 2021."

That is from a website with the full 1965 Ma Bell ad which is crazy by today's standards.

Cost increases hurt us all when we get them. I am not minimizing that anger and budget challenges. We have already dropped some streaming services for going up 10-15 dollars a month, so I am not minimizing or saying it's OK. For many of us on fixed incomes every dollar counts.

Here's that 1965 ad, amazing! https://clickamericana.com/topics/science-technology/international-phone-calls-1965#:~:text=International long-distance telephone calls for “only” %2412 for,dollars would be equivalent to %24101.16 in 2021.

Oh and we walked barefoot in the snow to the office to connect, uphill both ways! 😮😏

So glad that I have the $23 Mobley plan. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

41 minutes ago, rynosback said:

So glad that I have the $23 Mobley plan. 

Good on ya Ryno! Me too. I got a deal from a new MVNO using Verizon towers and services for three lines for $61 unlimited everything, two in our phones and the third in either one of my two Windows 10 tablets: Surface 7+ LTE or Surface Go2 M3 LTE.

The Sim card  works in both without calling daddy for permission.

It is also grandfathered too and if I change the account in any way they revert us to full price today.

Safe Travels bud!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

23 hours ago, RV_ said:

New! Fusion 100 GB

$12499
/mon.
for first 6 months! *
down-arrow.png25mbps
down

That is an interesting comparison. With Starlink we are currently at 825 GB of usage and the month isn't out and when I ran a speed test this morning I was getting 91mbps down. Makes the price of the Starlink attractive.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg