Headlight issue

runaway parents

So last fall before I   shut the truck down for the   Winter I installed new headlights .They seemed to work fine So just recently I got in the truck fired it up. Got a message on the dashboard that's stated headlight low beam open circuit  left side.  And then the marker light quit working also . anybody have a   wiring diagram 4  the headlights on  A  08   VNL 780? Any ideas why It just quit working?  It makes me wonder If it hasn't been attacked by some   wire chewing critters .  Oh is this going to be fun.I have noticed squirrels  milling around the truck. Also seen raccoons out there.If they are found guilty of chewing on my wires oh man it's on . I may have to ask for recipes that involve squirrel and racoon.

Since you have a Volvo, I'd say take a look at the top of the frame rail next to the driver side of the radiator.  Right where you likely stepped to reach something.  Peal the harness cover back and take a peek.

Just remember, it's nearly always the ground.😁

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

8 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Since you have a Volvo, I'd say take a look at the top of the frame rail next to the driver side of the radiator.  Right where you likely stepped to reach something.  Peal the harness cover back and take a peek.

Just remember, it's nearly always the ground.😁

Might also want to look at the connection for the a/c compressor, by that step🙁 Clean and mark with bright tape to avoid stepping on them till they get disconnected.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

https://www.hhrvresource.com/node/179.html

When I get a chance I will sit down and double check, but I want to say whit wire for ground.

Great chance to play swaptronics, if the passenger side headlight is working, unplug the driver side, remove the three or four bolts, then carry it over and plug it in to the opposite side.

Thus should help you isolate what is isn’t working.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

10 hours ago, runaway parents said:

What color wires  Is typically ground. And how can I test the headlight to find which wire is ground.

"Typically", not absolutely, but typically in a mobile 12 volt dc system, black is ground.

LED lights need a different testing procedure than incandescent. Incandescent will have continuity both directions so it does not matter which way you hook the test leads. LED is a one way diode, so the test leads will have to be oriented in the correct direction.

It will take someone with way more knowledge and experience than I to confirm or deny what I'm about to say, but....

So the fact that your dash tells you there is an issue with a headlight, the light circuit goes through the ECM. "I've heard..."🙄 that improper draw, and/or any corrosion even at the ecm pins, can trigger a code like you are experiencing. So even though you have power at the light plug, does not mean you have the correct voltage or correct amperage when hooked up, to satisfy the ecm. IMO. Someone please confirm or deny this.

I would, in the mean time, go to the ecm and carefully check for corrosion at the multi-pin connections, or a sunken pin etc.

I'm a work'n on it.

There are a couple grounding lugs on the firewall with lots of wires going to them.  I bet they're all the same color as one of those headlight wires.....

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

"Every wire is hot" is a sign of a missing ground.  Without a ground all points in the circuit are pulled up to the supply voltage.  The test light doesn't draw enough current to replace the ground so it lights up when it sees voltage on the should-be-grounded side of the bulb.

Edited by Lou Schneider