WiFi extenders

Darryl&Rita

Here's a question to the group, with a little slant towards Joel (docj). What's on the market to get WiFi extended into a shadow zone. We have a park model, with a metal roof, and a metal awning. The adjacent rigs are allowing the park WiFi to reach the front half of the park model, but the rear half has no signal. Cell networks are also temperamental in the rear half, so a hotspot won't help. Any guidance?

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

As you are no doubt aware a perfect metal "box" would have absolutely no external signals inside it.  It would be what is called a "Faraday Cage."  Because your RV has windows, vent fans and other penetrations you are getting some signals inside but it is attentuated.

You have two rather different problems to deal with.  One is being able to connect to the park's WiFi; the other is improving your cellular signals inside the RV.

The WiFi issue can be  readily dealt with by having a router on the roof with a second one inside, connected to each other by Ethernet.  Essentially, the rooftop unit communicates with the outside world (WiFi access points and the like).  While the indoor router creates the network for you computers. TV's and similar stuff to connect to .

No doubt some people will say that all you need is an antenna on the roof with a cable extending down into the RV.  That probably would work, with the correct choice of antenna, but I am always concerned about having enough signal strength to "talk back" to the Access Point.  Having a rooftop router eliminates that issue.

As for the weak cellular signals, a cellular amplifier of the type marketed by WeBoost would work.  Essentially, it, too, is a 2 part solution with an antenna on the roof, one inside the RV and and amplifier to control the process.  

Of course, if you could trust the park's WiFi signal you might not worry about amplifying the cellular signal strength by simply allowing your phones to make WiFi calls.  Most phones can do that these days and most phone plans allow for it.   I've noticed that quite often my Pixel 7 Pro will make a WiFi call using my Starlink connection rather than using the Verizon network.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

6 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

What's on the market to get WiFi extended into a shadow zone.

4 hours ago, docj said:

The WiFi issue can be  readily dealt with by having a router on the roof with a second one inside, connected to each other by Ethernet.  Essentially, the rooftop unit communicates with the outside world (WiFi access points and the like).  While the indoor router creates the network for you computers. TV's and similar stuff to connect to .

Not sure exactly what they are classified as but the Ubiquity Nano station or Nano station Loco are designed to be located outdoors. I think they are significantly less expensive than a good router which might have to be waterproofed to protect it from the weather. They connect to your router by ethernet. They have their own wifi antenna's and transmitter/receiver. I have used one for a number of years connected to several generations of WFR routers. Since you will not be on the move, the rather cumbersome setup procedure to connect to the wifi source will only be required at initial setup.

15 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Cell networks are also temperamental in the rear half, so a hotspot won't help. Any guidance?

When we were in our barndominium that was a steel building I had an outside antenna for Wifi that then connected to my router. For cell I was using a repeater that also had an outside antenna. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We're not worried about cell connection, as much as WiFi. We have installed Ubiquity equipment in our summer job park, with a couple of U6 mesh boosters. The installation of these devices required some back-end access that we don't have in our winter digs. The booster literally needs to be plug-and-play. Too many of Unifi's products also seem to be on eternal backorder, as are most things with an electronic chip inside. I'm not having much luck in a search for a router to mount outside, so specific models would help. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.