Buying a Freightliner to pull a fifth wheel

rv Ed

Firstly, the 2018 Freightliner Cascadia is a commercial vehicle that is primarily designed for freight hauling, and its engine and transmission combination is designed to maximize fuel efficiency and power delivery. The DD15 engine is known for its fuel efficiency and durability, and the automatic transmission can provide smooth shifting and better fuel economy compared to a manual transmission.

Removing the rear axle to build a bed will affect the weight distribution and the stability of the vehicle. You should make sure that the vehicle is still safe and stable after the modification, especially when carrying heavy loads.

It's also worth considering the cost of purchasing and modifying the Freightliner Cascadia compared to the cost of maintaining and repairing your current vehicle. The F350 is a reliable and durable truck, and it may be more cost-effective to continue using it rather than buying a new vehicle.

Overall, the decision to buy a new vehicle and modify it is a complex one that involves many factors, including cost, reliability, and safety. It's important to do thorough research and consult with experts before making a final decision.

Hey, rv ED, if you're still with us, I just talked with jackson group Peterbilt here in Portland Oregon. They have, but are not listed just yet, a couple Cascadias with the tag axle system. The front drive axle is the drive, and the rear is the tag. If I'm not mistaken, the tag is like the volvo system where it is activated when the load hits a preset weight, otherwise it stays up.

That system is setup just how you would have it. No need to do anything. You could consider the tag axle a spare tire holder.

I'll let'cha know when/if they get back to me.

I'm a work'n on it.