Buying a Freightliner to pull a fifth wheel

rv Ed

Hi Guys.

I drive a 2016 F350 dually with a 6.7 diesel pulling a 20000 lb fifth Wheel. average 7.5 mpg.

Going up a steep hill slows me down to 40 mph.

Looking at buying a 2018 Freightliner Cascadia with a dd15 automatic 2.47 differential tandem axles. Will remove the rear axle and build a bed. What do you think.

2 hours ago, rv Ed said:

Hi Guys.

I drive a 2016 F350 dually with a 6.7 diesel pulling a 20000 lb fifth Wheel. average 7.5 mpg.

Looking at buying a 2018 Freightliner Cascadia with a dd15 automatic 2.47 differential tandem axles. Will remove the rear axle and build a bed. What do you think.

Sounds like you have the wrong rear gears in your truck for the load.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

I bought a HDT and sold my F-350, never looked back.  Better Ride, better power and better stopping, and can drive much longer comfortably (when necessary). I pull about 16,000lbs and get 9mpg at about 65mph. I just love driving it.   See if you can get an inspection before you buy it.   I bought mine in an online auction so no inspection and got lucky it's been a great truck.

2000 Volvo VNL 610

2011 Cedar Creek 36RE

22 hours ago, rv Ed said:

Hi Guys.

I think it is a great idea. That combo likely has a DT-12 trans. It is a great system for what you wish to do.

What brake system are you going to install? Do you have a hitch brand and model in mind?

I'm a work'n on it.

Sounds like a good plan, in general.  If you are set on having a single rear axle, rather than removing one, remove both and swap it for a heavier axle built to handle the input loads supplied by that engine.  Removing an axle just leaves one, now undersized, unit and eventually it will cause the input bearings or ring and pinion to fail.

That said, if you don't plan to full time, why single it?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Removing an axle just leaves one, now undersized, unit and eventually it will cause the input bearings or ring and pinion to fail.

My Volvo 770 is a tandem Class 8 rated for a combined weight of 80K.  I intend to remove the mid-axle and have the the rear axle moved forward.  My trailer weighs about 25K pounds and I expect my singled Volvo to weight about 15K pounds.

It doesn't appear to me that my drive line will be stressed more than a common 80K road tractor and trailer. 

Edited by DanZemke
clarity of thought

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

On 2/15/2023 at 8:48 AM, Deezl Smoke said:

I think it is a great idea. That combo likely has a DT-12 trans. It is a great system for what you wish to do.

What brake system are you going to install? Do you have a hitch brand and model in mind

Factory brakes on the truck and fifth Wheel. I will remove the commercial hitch and install my B and W 25000 lb hitch with a Trail Air pi box.

2 hours ago, rv Ed said:

Why would a factory DPF not make a good daily driver /  grocery getter.

Maybe some do,  my Cummins 8.3 does not.  If these engines aren't worked hard enough, and  don't get up to temperature for long enough, or the  regeneration process is not working  as it should, they will soot up.

"Oftentimes, blocked diesel particulate filters are caused by short journeys at low speeds. Vehicles operating at low speeds on short journeys are unable to meet the requirements for the filter to clean itself."

Edited by hemsteadc

On 2/15/2023 at 9:44 AM, rickeieio said:

Sounds like a good plan, in general.  If you are set on having a single rear axle, rather than removing one, remove both and swap it for a heavier axle built to handle the input loads supplied by that engine.  Removing an axle just leaves one, now undersized, unit and eventually it will cause the input bearings or ring and pinion to fail.

That said, if you don't plan to full time, why single it?

I am looking to buy a tandom and single it. Remove rear axle. This will create a 202 inch wheel base for easier turning in rv parks and easier / shorter parking when using it as grocery getter/ daily driver. Or would it be better to remove the front axle and install the rear axle in it's place.

Front axle not designed for continuous use. If you go this route remove front and replace with rear. What you stated was done when the first few were converted. They fail. Lesson learned. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I agree with Glenn - remove the center axle and move the rear forward.  

Also, tandem axle Class 8's usually have a single ABS controller for both axles.  A straight forward solution is to buy a new controller for a single axle.  But that can be costly.  Another approach is to relocate the sensors that were on the mid axle to to the rear axle.  Yes, they will have two sets of sensors when only one is needed.  But since the relocated sensors are accurately sense any wheel spinning, they work fine and the controller is happy too, because it thinks it is getting signals from both axles.

About Glenn's reference to very early conversions.  In at least one case, there was another problem.  The ABS warning light was always on.  The converter's solution was to use a piece of black tape to hide the ABS light!  

Still, the guy (I think his name was Larry) almost single handedly, jump-started enabling used HDTs as RV haulers.  Thanks Larry.

4 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Front axle not designed for continuous use. If you go this route remove front and replace with rear. What you stated was done when the first few were converted. They fail. Lesson learned. 

41 minutes ago, DanZemke said:

I agree with Glenn - remove the center axle and move the rear forward.  

Also, tandem axle Class 8's usually have a single ABS controller for both axles.  A straight forward solution is to buy a new controller for a single axle.  But that can be costly.  Another approach is to relocate the sensors that were on the mid axle to to the rear axle.  Yes, they will have two sets of sensors when only one is needed.  But since the relocated sensors are accurately sense any wheel spinning, they work fine and the controller is happy too, because it thinks it is getting signals from both axles.

About Glenn's reference to very early conversions.  In at least one case, there was another problem.  The ABS warning light was always on.  The converter's solution was to use a piece of black tape to hide the ABS light!  

Still, the guy (I think his name was Larry) almost single handedly, jump-started enabling used HDTs as RV haulers.  Thanks Larry.

If the truck is a 6x2 with a tag axle (becoming more popular with companies) you can just pull the rear tag axle as the front tandem axle is the only drive axle of the pair.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

1 hour ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

If the truck is a 6x2 with a tag axle (becoming more popular with companies) you can just pull the rear tag axle as the front tandem axle is the only drive axle of the pair.

Interesting info.  But he said he's looking at a specific truck that does not appear to have a tag axle.

Edited by DanZemke
clarity

1 hour ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Totally agree. That configuration was very common years ago, not so much these days.  This would give you the short wheelbase AND the heavier input/gear set needed to be reliable with the torque loads these motors generate.

Look at any single axle road tractor.  It will always have a heavy (23k rated) axle v. the two 19k axles commonly found as a tandem.  BTW, the 23/19 numbers have nothing to do with weight capacities.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

On 2/16/2023 at 1:38 PM, DanZemke said:

Larry Ziegler (sp=?) - commonly referred to as "Larry Z".

NO Thanks, Larry!

"Thanks" evaporated after one (or more) of Larry's conversions were a bit "fly by night" - and discovered after the fact by the owner/s. (front brakes in-op!).  Some of the folks (Jack Mayer) on the HDT form can elaborate if desired - as it was all posted (which may have been lost when the forum was re-designed)...😕

BTW:  Larry even had a "How To"  conversion guide available for sale.

What about buying a single axle road tractor?  Rental companies sell single axle day cab and sleeper equipped tractors, no conversion needed.  Ryder Truck Rental shows single axle sleeper trucks for sale on their web site.

https://ryder.com/used-trucks/vehicles/semi-trucks/single-axle-sleeper-tractors

Dave / Believer45

Edited by Believer45

23 hours ago, Believer45 said:

What about buying a single axle road tractor?  Rental companies sell single axle day cab and sleeper equipped tractors, no conversion needed.  Ryder Truck Rental shows single axle sleeper trucks for sale on their web site.

https://ryder.com/used-trucks/vehicles/semi-trucks/single-axle-sleeper-tractors

Dave / Believer45

I had a used Ryder truck on the farm (Mack with 800k miles).  I would buy from them again.

And yes, a factory single is ideal, if you can find one that suits you.

As to removing a tandem set and replacing with a single v. just removing one axle, has anyone priced it both ways?  I doubt there's much difference, and having that heavier axle would give peace of mind. 

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

We have a Freightliner Century that we have had for over 10 years now. It was singled short, with the rear axle being moved to the location of the front axle. If I were to do a new truck, I would single mid and put the rear axle between the two axle locations, of course this depends on what wheelbase we are starting with.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.