JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 242BHS Vs JAYCO Jay Feather 24BH

eiblanco

I wanted to get some opinions on the pros and cons concern gin these two trailers.  The differences I can see are first cost, the Jay Feather comes in about 10K more than the Jay Flight. The gross weight of the Jay Flight is 7000 lbs, the Jay Feather is 7500.  The build quality and appointment seem better on the Feather, but are they 10K better?  Length is about the same at 30 feet. The layout is similar, but I like the Feather better.  Any experienced people with a good grasp of the differences, and if the added cost is worth it?

I would, for me personally, be concerned about the difference in the "wiggle room", I call it, for the weight.

For example, if the 7500 gross is already at 7200 lbs as built.... you have only 300 pounds wiggle room.  If the 7000 gross is at 6200 as built, you have 800 pounds wiggle room.

When you start adding the weight of fresh water, waste water, canned goods, etc.... I'd rather have the extra load ability.

Again, that's just how *I* feel.  Not everyone might feel the same way.  And of course there's the tow vehicles ability to consider, too...

Edited by Will B.
Spelling correction
MyRVRadio - Streaming online 24/7 at MyRVRadio.com and via mobile apps! Content for RVers from RVers.   2018 Grand Design Momentum 399TH • 2019 Ford F-350 (DRW)
2016 Harley-Davidson Heritage • 2013 Harley Sportster with a sidecar
Web: https://MyRVRadio.com • Facebook: https://fb.com/MyRVRadio  

It looks to me like the key weight issues are the cargo carrying capacity of 1600# versus 1420# or a difference of 180#. The first has 38 gallons of water at 8.34#/gallon for 317# lowering the CCC to 1283 and on the other coach you would have 55 gallons of water at 459# and leaving 961# of cargo capacity for your "stuff." That difference could be very important, depending upon how you plan to use the RV. Since both RVs have bunk beds, I will assume that you must have at least 1 child to travel with your, possibly 2. Keep in mind that groceries are pretty heavy and if you stay out very long that will add about 35# per normal bag so it is pretty safe to say that you will have at least 100# of groceries, probably more. If you plan to use the RV mostly for weekends and a week or two each summer, you can probably manage with either of them, as long as your tow vehicle is capable of towing the gross weight, plus what it has in it by way of people and cargo. When you add in the factors discussed in your bunkhouse length conversation, it seems to me that you will be very limited in cargo or you will travel with the RV and/or truck overloaded. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

It looks like all of us honed in on the same issue.  Both of these are relatively large units capable of sleeping quite a few passengers but the cargo carrying capacities are grossly insufficient.  1500# or so pounds sounds like a lot, but that gets used up very quickly.  Water and propane use up several hundred pounds.  So do accessories.  Items such as a/c, larger refrigerator, etc. are not included in the base weight.  Neither are solar panels and/or generator, larger battery bank, etc. etc.  

New RVers also typically grossly underestimate the amount of weight they are going to be carrying.  Some of the add ons include all the kitchen gear and food/drinks, bedding, towels, clothing/boots, tools, extension cord, generator and fuel, hobby and sporting equipment, cleaning supplies, laptops and other electronics, books, travel guides, water hoses, leveling blocks, etc, etc.  All this "personal" items typically add up to 1000# or more.  

Approaching or exceeding CCC is not a trivial matter but one of extreme importance and safety.  A flimsy suspension and wheels are typical but the biggest factor is likely to be the load capacity of the tires.  It is easy to exceed that.  In addition many RVs come with cheap Chinese tires.  In theory they meet the designated load capacity but who knows.  Blowouts seem to occur frequently.  

Sorry but both of these are flimsy, pieces of cr@p.  When the CCC fails to be sufficient that points to overall compromises in build quality.  There are reasons that the typical new RV has a life expectancy of about 10 years even with infrequent use.

Follow up-  I went to look at both the trailers up in Longmont north of Denver.  The 24BH is certainly the nicer trailer.  The 24BH was the last 2022 model with a take home price of 39K.  I have a quote for the 242BHS for 27K take home.  It's hard to justify the added cost in my mind- A lot of it can be added at a lower cost over time.  The weight factor also was a strong influencing factor in the decision.  I do appreciate the CCC discussion, I think it's one that is often glossed over in discussions with salespeople in hopes of getting you into the biggest most expensive trailer.  I do agree, these trailers are not the nicest, but they fit my budget and importantly can be safely towed by by half ton pickup.  I am not going to be upgrading my truck, it's just a baby by Toyota standards- 2014 Tundra with 73K miles.  

I am placing a deposit for the Jay Flight and will be going up to Bish's in Wyoming to look at the trailer.

31 minutes ago, eiblanco said:

I am not going to be upgrading my truck, it's just a baby by Toyota standards- 2014 Tundra with 73K miles.  

I do understand that with truck now priced to extremely high! I'm keeping my 2003 Dodge/Cummins, 2500 for much the same reasons.   

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 hours ago, eiblanco said:

am placing a deposit for the Jay Flight and will be going up to Bish's in Wyoming to look at the trailer.

It sounds like you made the right decision for you. I wish you happy travels in your new home.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Good luck with your new rig! Do come back and give feedback on what they got right and how you like it.

On light duty trucks I am a little biased having had four of these and the last a 2004.5 with the common rail quiet diesel they had from then to 2007. When the larger motor took over.

ELsm2X7l.jpg

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire