Batteries discharging while driving

PAylor

We have a fifth wheel with batteries less than a year old. We also have a residential refrigerator. Recently the batteries have started discharging while we driving. The inverter is on and the 7 pin cord is plugged into the truck. When we turn off the inverter the battery level remain normal. But then the refrigerator is off. 

Any ideas on how to find out what's wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Kirk W
Remove excess empty space

You're using more battery than is being replaced. The RV charge wiring on most vehicles is barely adequate with no load on the RV batteries. The system likely never worked ideally, and new batteries only masked the issue. There's a number of write-ups online, regarding upgrading charge line size, connections, and voltage output. Time to do some research in that direction.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Have you confirmed that the alternator is in fact providing 12V at the 7 pin plug?

And is the wire size sufficient to capitalize on the amp output of the alternator?

Have you considered a solar panel/s that would provide charging irregardless of the engine running?

Perhaps increasing the battery bank could also be considered.  That could allow for capacity to run your refer until you are able to get to destination OR until you stopped for some time to run a smallish generator.

Marcel

I would agree with what Darryl has already posted. It is possible that for some reason your trailer isn't getting the 12V normally supplied to check that first as it likely is fused on your tow truck. I would get out the meter first and check the plug for the umbilical cord.

7-Way-RV-Diagram.jpg

If pin 4 has 12V available you can then go measure across the trailer battery first without the truck connected, then with it connected and running check again for a voltage increase. If it is there, the next thing to consider is wire size as small wires do limit the amount of current available.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

How old is the fridge? Below I linked to an article about them using more power for a number of reasons. As well, if you only experience it on the road only recently have you started filling it up before getting on the road?

If you are getting power at the 12 volt pigtail then it is the inverter/wiring inside the RV, or the reefer itself. Or, since the batteries are new they could be defective or have bad cells.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/grow-herb-garden-indoor-outdoor-13771633.html

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire