Aptera's solar electric production model revealed, will go 400 miles on a full battery

RV_

I am cheering this company on despite how many EV startups are falling by the wayside.

For RVrs: The dimensions are in the articles and this may take the place of Smart cars for piggybacking or towing in or on a trailer. Estimated weight is 1800-2200 pounds? We'll see.

Two caveats.

1. I got burned for $100 by Elio Motors when they never went into production but that three wheeler was not AWD nor solar. So I am not saying this time they will actually go into production. They refuse to give an estimated price until they are ready to go into production, which is a better way start. Facts not conjecture.

2. I am not bought in until they get funding. It may never go into production. I'd love to see Tesla buy this and make it happen as their economy car. Before the naysayers get started saying it needs two football fields of panels to charge 40 miles a day I'd suggest you hold your water and read all the releases and specs and the two other articles with a 28 minute video etc. I will add below. Or step on it because you don't have time to read it!

Imagine free energy for transportation as long as your range needs are just in town running around and an all night charge outside your hotel room? Wow!

However no fast charging at first so we will see. Rivian dropped the ball and I don't see them surviving long. Bad call on my part. So I will not say they will make it. Invest in them? CAVEAT EMPTOR! But I'd love to see it come to market and succeed.

Excerpt:

"Electric vehicle startup Aptera released new details about its debut solar-powered model. Aptera

• Electric vehicle startup Aptera released details about its first model. 
  • It will have 400 miles of range and be able to travel 40 miles per day using built-in solar cells, the firm says. 
  • It needs more funding but plans to start production in 2023. 

Lots more car buyers would consider an electric vehicle if only charging wasn't such a hassle

EV startup Aptera may have an innovative solution — if it can raise enough funding to get production underway. The California-based company unveiled in January its Launch Edition solar vehicle, its first model that will hit customer driveways. 

Aptera Launch Edition vehicle. Aptera Launch Edition vehicle. Aptera

Aptera is taking a markedly different approach to EVs than fellow startups. While Rivian focuses on rugged utility and Lucid Motors prioritizes luxury and performance, Aptera's mission centers around efficiency. The result is unlike anything else on the road: an ultra-aerodynamic, super-light, three-wheeler blanketed in solar panels that turn the sun's rays into driving energy.

Aptera first unveiled the general concept and a preliminary design back in 2020. On Friday, it revealed key details of its first production model during a virtual event

All 5,000 or so Launch Edition Aptera vehicles will be identical in an effort to streamline production and reduce complexity as manufacturing gets up and running. The vehicle will target 400 miles of range and will have all-wheel drive provided by three motors integrated into the trike's wheels. It'll sprint to 60 mph in a brisk four seconds on its way to a 101-mph top speed, Aptera says.

The Launch Edition will come with 700 watts worth of solar panels on its hood, roof, and rear section, which Aptera says is enough to provide 40 miles of solar-powered driving per day in ideal conditions. Future models will offer the option for fewer panels.

Owners can also charge by plugging in. Aptera Launch Edition vehicles will come with a Tesla-standard charging port but, curiously, no ability to plug into DC fast-charging stations. They'll be able to add up to 57 miles of range per hour when hooked up to a Level 2 charger (fast-chargers like Tesla Superchargers are Level 3), Aptera estimates. 

Inside, the vehicle will have two seats, a semicircular yoke steering wheel, and a large touchscreen that houses most settings and features. The rear-view and side mirrors are digital. A big hatch reveals 32 cubic feet of cargo space, more than double a Honda Civic's trunk. 

One detail that's still a mystery about the Launch Edition: price. Aptera said it won't know how much to charge until it's closer to production. 

More in the original article here:

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/01/23/aptera-solar-electric-vehicle-production-model-400-miles-on-a-charge/

On Edit:

They bowed to pressure and will include fast charging as standard/stock now.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

They have some prototypes and there is a video tour of one in this link with more info:

https://cleantechnica.com/2023/01/21/aptera-reveals-launch-edition-ev/

The video walk around is the first 3:40 of the 28 minute video.

And here is part 2:

https://cleantechnica.com/2023/01/21/aptera-reveals-launch-edition-ev-part-2/

Safe Solar charging!

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire