Truck service

runaway parents

34 minutes ago, runaway parents said:

Seems, to be high $900.00 dollars to get oil changed? What are your thoughts? Can change myself ,have to find place to get rid of old oil.

Think my last was $600. Lots of filters. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

What are they doing for $900?  Last company I worked for required a pretty complete documented inspection every 30,000 km (18,000 miles) by a licensed mechanic.  The truck lube place will do oil and all filters for much less but they are not checking brakes, tires, steering, belts and hoses etc.  I think a good inspection is going to take an hour and a half to two hours.  The price may not be as outrageous as you think.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Amazon has good ol' Rotella T4 15-40 for $130/5 gal. Delo 15-40 runs $200/5 gal. Our N14 takes 12 gal per service. Fuel filter runs $55 from Cummins, but it's cheaper elsewhere. Oil filter is &50, pretty much everywhere.   Add in grease and time, it's not a horrible price. Oil changes have gotten a lot more expensive, just like eggs.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

6 hours ago, runaway parents said:

Seems, to be high $900.00 dollars to get oil changed? What are your thoughts? Can change myself ,have to find place to get rid of old oil.

Where you located? Some Love's have Speedco service also. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I do mine myself. Get a Fomoto valve. Makes things much easier. Turn the valve on to drain, spin the filter off, close the valve, spin new filter on, put in oil. Takes 15 minutes. 

Actually, with the fumoto valve you could lay under the truck and fill old oil jugs to make disposal easier. 

ERybo1dl.jpg

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

14 hours ago, runaway parents said:

So all they quoted me for was to change oil  , Lube chassie all the filters except for the air filter . go from Bumper to Bumper and look for defects it seems to me that $900 is a little high  

I was quoted something close to that by a dealer recently.  They call it periodic maintenance or PM.  So I’m not really sure what each line-item is but I think maybe many other things are checked besides what you said above?  Brake wear/adjustment, system codes, maybe air system,,,,   $180 per hour for 4 hours (Corpus Christi) so about half is labor.  I’ve heard of higher labor rates further north.  
I’m not defending them, I just wanted a simple oil change too, so I walked away.  
Another time, I found a small shop in Montana to do the oil change and new steers, I forget the total but I think it was under $1k.  (I buy the filters and carry them for awhile when I think I will have it done soon)  

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Still do my own when home, if on the road will have a reputable garage do the services, watched in awe as to Five Finger Fumblers stripping pan plugs or failing to notice no seal ring on a oil filter.  I use Rotella, have for years and prefer it these days.  Know a few fellas went to Schaeffer Oil products, not a believer for the price.  One was told could extend to 35,000 miles on a grain hauler, Schaeffer would not stand behind product caused engine catastrophic failure.

My dad and uncles used Schaeffer grease and lubes in everything.  One day, a Texas Refinery guy stopped by and convinced me to try a few tubes of his grease.  Switched and never looked back.  Had oil pressure issues with Schaeffer oil in a pickup back in the '80s.  Went to Rotella and oil pressure was fine.

All that said, I now run nothing but Mobil 1 in all my gas engines, and  either Rotella or Union 76 in the diesels.  However, I believe the KW has seen a steady diet of Delo synthetic for it's 50k mile changes, so I'll stay with that, changing every other year.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

We switched over to Schaeffer grease for a while but then changed to Cenex synthetic. I do like the Schaeffer 80 90 weight gear oil. It's really tacky. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

When we switched from Schaeffer to Texas Refinery (TRC), our grease consumption on the combine alone went to about 20%, and bearing failures went to almost "0".

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Used Rotella or Delo since the 1970s in nearly every engine I have owned.  Harley gets recommended HD Syn Blend oils, not taking chances with the bike and can pretty well achieve those oils across the country.  We have a Farm Store here that stocks volumes of oil, I get my Rotella there in 2.5 gal jugs usually 2/3 price of Delo and well below what I see as a general parts supplier pricing as well no shipping costs.  Bought all they had on hand Sept of 2021 at $34.99 2.5gal jugs and a few one gallons they still had on shelf.  Not been that low since.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2023 at 10:46 AM, runaway parents said:

I took my engine oil and filter in and then asked them to do the transmission as well. After they were done it was over 700$. The oil I bought was around $350 and the recommended oil by Cummins. So I believe I got sham-wowed on mine as well. I am changing it myself next time.

Chuck

On 1/15/2023 at 8:34 AM, rickeieio said:

When we switched from Schaeffer to Texas Refinery (TRC), our grease consumption on the combine alone went to about 20%, and bearing failures went to almost "0".

Pretty much the same scenario here. Went from Schaeffer to TRC red. Then a few years ago, my local Amsoil dealer give a tube of this synthetic polymer grease. Now run it exclusively. The TRC was great, but the tech has'nt really updated for a very long time. Our swathers run the sickle head in the morning dew water. I just pushed the Amsoil right in over the TRC without issue.

I dont wash our combines unless absolutely needed, and even then avoid the bearing with the pressure washer as 99% of them are just shielded bearings, not sealed. Seems to keep the non-relubes happy longer.

If you ever get the want to try a new grease, see if your local Amsoil dealer will give you a tube and try it in like the reel bushings or other areas, and see what you think. I'd be curious to know anyway.

grease 1.jpg

grease 2.jpg

I'm a work'n on it.

On 1/13/2023 at 9:02 AM, Pat & Pete said:

Sounds rip off high to me , but I don't have an HDT . 

Dealers want about a hundred fifty dollars for an oil change on our Monaco .

I do it myself for about 30 bucks and O'Reilly's accepts old oil for recycling . 

How do you even buy oil for $30?  It costs more than that for the 5 quarts my Jeep takes, much less the gallons the HDT takes. 

2001 VNL 660

2018 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

45 minutes ago, aknavy said:

How do you even buy oil for $30?  It costs more than that for the 5 quarts my Jeep takes, much less the gallons the HDT takes. 

30 was last year . I just did an oil change and spent 35 buck just for the 7 quarts of oil . :( 

I run synthetic blend these days . 

And , we drove an XJ ( Cherokee ) for 6+ years . I recall it took about 6.5 quarts . But , I was using a bigger filter .

Goes around , comes around .

9 hours ago, Deezl Smoke said:

If you ever get the want to try a new grease, see if your local Amsoil dealer will give you a tube and try it in like the reel bushings or other areas, and see what you think. I'd be curious to know anyway.

If I were still farming, I'd give it a try.  But, I retired 5 years ago with a lifetime of grease on the shelf.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

On 2/4/2023 at 4:53 PM, Pat & Pete said:

30 was last year . I just did an oil change and spent 35 buck just for the 7 quarts of oil . :( 

I run synthetic blend these days . 

And , we drove an XJ ( Cherokee ) for 6+ years . I recall it took about 6.5 quarts . But , I was using a bigger filter .

Thought you were quoting for a HDT or Motorhome, apples to apples, not a car.

2001 VNL 660

2018 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon