Smallest 240V 50amp generator??

lappir

1 hour ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

I'm pretty sure he has a LG mini split like you would have in your home or small office. I can't remember if it has the wall mount inside units or the ceiling mounted inside units.

That is why he needs a 240 volt system. There are a lot of Spacecraft customs with one or two exterior units and as many as four indoor units to heat and cool the trailer.

Actually he doesn't have to 240v service to run the minisplit. I have my 240v mini split on a step up transformer that inputs 120v and outputs 240v. It powers my mini split. Yes it is going around one elbow so to speak but allows me to run it off my 2500 watt inverter. It will run both mini splits and tv. Might run more but all we need in a pinch.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

With the furnace operating on a separate thermostat, the furnace will operate on its own. As long as there is proper 12vdc power and Propane.

Let’s say Rod is working and power shuts off to the power supply.

Then the propane furnace will function as long as the batteries provide power. When the other system come back(generator or shore power) on the furnace will shut off automatically if the temperature is set a few degrees under the other thermostat settings.

Just a good safety by having them separate. If he had a Dometic thermostat, it would then operate also.

21 minutes ago, Wrknrvr said:

With the furnace operating on a separate thermostat, the furnace will operate on its own. As long as there is proper 12vdc power and Propane.

Let’s say Rod is working and power shuts off to the power supply.

Then the propane furnace will function as long as the batteries provide power. When the other system come back(generator or shore power) on the furnace will shut off automatically if the temperature is set a few degrees under the other thermostat settings.

Just a good safety by having them separate. If he had a Dometic thermostat, it would then operate also.

Ok, 

I drug out the Spacecraft Bible, but find nothing about what type of Propane furnace was installed. I have a single brown wire that appears to go to the furnace, but that's it. Procrastination has sufficiently kept me from pulling the cover off and looking any further. 

I had a basement Coleman HVAC A/C Heat pump. 

Now have a LG Mini Split with an 18000 BTU low flow something or other at the very end of the garage and an 9000 in the bed/living room currently. 

Last year while here I contacted an RV tech and he was supposed to come out to fix the electric part of the water heater and install a thermostat on the furnace. We couldn't find another day to do the work before I left the area. If I'm here during some nice spring weather I will try again. 

Vern, We spoke the summer before last. I think I still have your phone number in my address book. I'm on call all weekend so won't be calling you then and depending on the weather I'll have to see. I appreciate your offer for the phone consultation. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

VWhen you find time. Post a picture of the furnace exhaust. That will enable us to determine the make of the furnace.

Look at that brown wire. There maybe two separate wires inside the brown exterior. Maybe a red and a yellow.     They are only signal wires. So they can be small diameter 

Vern

Edited by Wrknrvr

19 hours ago, lappir said:

Sort of a long answer. 

Have you ever had something custom built?

I

Rod

Wow, steep learning curve you endured.

Now I know you have a basement Coleman Mach heat pump, all I need is your model number to provide the correct service manuals.

For instance, this service manual is for a 6536535 model.

This covers installation and operation of the 6536535 thermostat.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

3 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Wow, steep learning curve you endured.

Now I know you have a basement Coleman Mach heat pump, all I need is your model number to provide the correct service manuals.

For instance, this service manual is for a 6536535 model.

This covers installation and operation of the 6536535 thermostat.

Nope, 

I'm currently with a LG Mini Split. Coleman is long gone. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

14 hours ago, lappir said:

Nope, 

I'm currently with a LG Mini Split. Coleman is long gone. 

Rod

Too bad, they are quality reliable units. The only reason MH mfgrs quit using them was of EPA requirements meant that basement space had to be used for clean engine equipment.

Mine has ran great since new, but then it's only 23 yrs old.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

The Westinghouse WGen9500DF arrived this noon. I just happened to be able to take time off from work and was here when it was delivered. Came  up with a great idea to have them off load it into my Drom Box, but when I left for work this morning the manager wasn't in the office as usual. Just as I was getting ready to call and find out if they could help a coworker came to me and said she was being sent home for "Low Census". I offered to go instead. (If they tell me to go home they still have to pay me. If I volunteer to go home there is no pay. I don't often volunteer, but today I had a reason.)

The purchase was an "Open Box" item and I found a small crease in the frame at the top and a damaged "Battery Charger" that plugs into the 110 outlet and then back into the unit to charge the battery (at least that's how it reads). It was easy to put together and started pretty easily on propane. I let it run for about 15 minutes and then shut off the propane tank. Was surprised at how quickly it died. I'll let it cool down completely before starting it again and that time I put it under a bit of a load. I read through the owners manual and didn't see throttle setting, nor did I see an "ECO" mode. It is much louder than the Honda for sure. If I'm having to run it I won't complain about the noise and hope my neighbors won't be bothered by it either. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

• 2 weeks later...

Genny update for those interested. 

After doing a couple short runs, yesterday I decided to let it run for an hour and drop the oil out of it. It's sitting in the drom box so I closed the doors mostly to diminish the noise. It was midday so hopefully none of my neighbors are night shift workers. I asked one person walking his dog by if the noise where he lived and if the noise was annoying. His comment was "who cares"? No one came out of any of my neighbors rigs. 

It was in the mid 40's yesterday and my infrared thermometer didn't show much heating of the crankcase. 130 was high a spot that I could find. The exhaust was around 400, but the door that was closed pretty close to it didn't get above 170. 

I found if I take the wheels and front supports off of it it will fit in my basement. I have the drawer guides from my old 40lb LP tanks and even with the lift off the floor by using them I should have good clearance with luck I'll get it out of the truck and do a test fit today. 

Hooked up to a couple 1500 watt heaters yesterday and cycled them through the 750, 1500, 2250 and 3000 watts several times after I had changed the oil. Hopefully that's enough engine speed variation to help seat everything and providing some equalization in heating the stator.

In reading some things today I realized I should have pulled the spark plug/plugs and put a bit of oil in the cylinders before firing it up. I'll remember that the next time. If I ever buy another new generator. 

There are also 4 to 6 hour break ins I don't think I want to do that. Most people I know only buy a generator when the need it. Take it home and put it to work right away. They are the one's who also leave them set outside for months after too. I'll try to do better. 

Rod 

2007 Honda GL 1800

• 4 months later...

Another Generator update. 

When I arrived in Iowa earlier this year I drove through a snow storm and then had falling temps and high winds. Unfortunately it had rained on my destination and there was no more frost in the ground so I couldn't pull into the grass spot where the 50 AMP plugs were and I didn't know where the one I'm currently using was until the next day. 

Thankfully the Generator fired right up and so did the Minisplit  and started putting out some good heat. Didn't last long, it was too cold for the 20lb propane tank to keep up with the needs of the motor. It would run for 15 minutes and then die. It would start back up, but not for long unless it let it set for 30. It was a long night. 

Next day I filled it with Gasoline and it was good for several hours.  I'll either need to get a larger tank for propane or I'll have to keep some treated gas handy during the winter time. 

Today I finally tried to fit it into one of my trailer compartment. It went in pretty easy, but I had to take the wheels and rubber pads off. I won't be able to run it there, but it's no longer sitting outside in the elements. I will further secure it and build some rubber pads So it can ride there once I get it moved a few miles to the Shop. 

k0jU9m0l.jpg

2007 Honda GL 1800