How many use digital pay

GlennWest

Goggle ipay, etc. My debit card compromised again. Haven't even used it on line. Number not on my computer but someone skimmed it. Wondering if I could use this. I am old school in such

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I am seriously considering doing away with debit card. Searching alternative. I have a Credit card I could use but it likely to get comprised also. Never used a digital pay.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

We never use a debit card.  Have two credits cards..... one is used for AutoPays only.  The other only for purchases.  If the one used for purchases gets compromised..... and hasn't in 15 yr. or so...... the AutoPays are always safe.  Works for us!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Only Autopay we have is ss and medical insurance. That is linked to cu account. No automobile payments. Going to try to keep it that way also. Well more i research digital pay it sounds like a great thing but not wildly used.

For the easiest reasonable secure solution.  Bank with app which lets you disable/enable cards instantly.  One per spouse (or two different accounts).  Keep one active, keep one inactive in a lock box kept with you.  Switch if ever needed.  For charge cards, the issuer uses a different card number for each card.  Ideally, they will also offer virtual (one time) card numbers via their app for online shopping.  Only credit cards. They offer better and faster dispute resolution, and provide the baddies with no access to your actual funds.

Remember, NO ONE verifies the name on the card when you tap (if ever), so it is fine to swap cards.  It also makes the cards risky themselves, so the on/off functions are great.  This is why phone/NFC pay is more secure, as you are likely to notice if your phone is missing much faster than a missing card.  Phone also likely has another layer of security.

Consider any swipe as a potential skim.  Consider anything other than a tap a potential skim.  Tapping does not give the machine or merchant your usual card data.

Keep 3 or 4 days worth of cash handy as well, in case something happens on a weekend/holiday, or when you cannot get to a place to get cash easily.

Me?  I use gas company cards for fuel, so any risk of fueling is born by the company.  I have 4 cards in regular use, via two charge accounts.  Two bank accounts which we split funds in case we make a mistake.  Several other charge cards which rarely get used.  Candidly, wife shops online at many places, so we have her use one specific card.  It gets compromised every couple of years, usually at a non US store.  The real risks are fuel stops (easy to use skimmers on many), and nefarious employees who note or swipe card data.  Card companies do not go after small thefts, as it is cheaper just to pay back the funds.  The merchants are the ones who lose - because of the processing contracts - which means consumers are already paying for the losses via higher prices.

The other thing, we ALL pay for card "rewards" via the fees merchants are charged, which are absolutely reflected in price of goods and services.  If we do not use them, it is lost "money".  Find a card or cards with a decent benefit, and use it/them.  For instance, if you shop on AMZ, it is foolish not to use their card.  AMZ card also has a decent fuel reward if one chooses to use it (it is a tap capable card).

Edited by Dp26

For several security related reasons, we only use a debit card when at an ATM. I do have nearly all of my bills on direct pay via ACH. An ACH is an electronic fund transfer made between banks and credit unions across what is called the Automated Clearing House network. It is not only secure but convenient. I use credit cards almost exclusively for purchases and also have all monthly bills that allow it on direct billing to a credit card. The vast majority of our purchases and automated bills are done via my Citi Bank Double Cash card that refunds me 2% of everything that I spend with it, and it has no annual fees. I also keep 2 other credit cards that we use mostly enough to keep them active with me carrying one and Pam carries the other. Credit cards are more secure than a debit card and are required to refund to the user and fraudulent charges. There is another step that adds an additional layer of security to chipped cards by using the tap to pay feature, rather than swiping it. If you have a smart phone you can also install credit cards into an electronic wallet and then use them and the use of those is most secure of all, as long as it requires a pin or biometric to use it. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

My discover card has that feature. Had not used it but will now that I know about it. My thoughts now is no debit card. But I don't carry any cash. Haven't for many years.

We always keep cash nearby.  Maybe not in hand, but accessible.  Power fails, machines fail, etc. Same with a few paper checks.

The last time I had a card compromised was at a parking garage for a major medical center.  The parking was contracted out, and paid by card (or cash at the gate).  The card system was hacked.  It was a terrible hack, as they collected the data, but did not take the parking fee, so they were caught really quickly.  IN my case, the card was attempted to use for uber rides in the area of the garage, so odds are a nefarious employee was involved.  Again, the card issuers did not bother to investigate, since they have little loss - it is all dumped on the public, via making the merchant pay for fraud.

16 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Haven't had any need for cash for decades. 

Normally, agree.  However, I have seen electronic payments not be available, and prefer to have cash available.  The instances of failure may get rarer over time, but consolidation in the actual back ends will make them devastating when they do inevitably occur.

Consider when AWS servers fail, how many streaming services fail, and how many other front ends use AWS for their back end.  Same for anything, yes anything, where processing is online.  One simple point of failure (usually human error) can have severe consequences.

Consider the times when a major payroll provider has had outages, and many employers had zero idea what to do (write manual checks, hand out cash, etc.).  For payroll, as a for instance, failure to pay on time can subject the employer to fines, no matter the reason! and I guarantee, the provider has a clause absolving them from any consequences for outages.

YMMV

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

But I don't carry any cash. Haven't for many years.

We always carry some cash but actually use very little of it. I typically use cash if buy something that is really low cost unless it is self-check. I probably average less than $20/month in cash purchases. 

3 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

Sounds like you need to get out more . LOL 

Actually made over 1 million in the last decade and never used cash. But must agree I was working mostly and no time to spend any. But DW doesn't carry cash either since the company paid our per deim in cash quit doing it. 

2 hours ago, justRich said:

Apparently, there are Proximity devices that can read cards. 

That was the case with the old type of cards but not the current chipped cards. 

Can New Chip-Enabled Credit Cards Be Hacked Wirelessly?

or

Are Contactless Cards Safe?      The myth says:

Fraudsters would use long-range RFID readers to extract data from contactless cards from a distance and use that card data to access cardholders' accounts and steal money.

Reality?

No, it is not possible to use long-range RFID readers to extract data from contactless cards.

The near field communication (NFC, compliant with ISO/IEC 14443 standard) technology in contactless cards uses a 13.56Mhz radio frequency technology that only transmits digital data within a concise range.

Typically the optimum distance is 4 centimetres or less - beyond, the signal is rapidly decreasing and can never exceed 10 centimetres.

That's why you do not need a contactless card protection sleeve for security reasons.

Edited by Kirk W

3 hours ago, justRich said:

Keep cards in  RFID sleeves. 
Google for: credit card sleeves.
Apparently, there are Proximity devices that can read cards.  I had a neighbor once that had it happen to him.

I do that now. Have ever since they came out.

Call me old fashioned, but I carry cash.  Enough to get me through a couple days if credit card wouldn't work.  We have no debit cards, and only two credit cards, with high (by our standards) limits.  We also have a couple check books.

When we travel, we carry enough cash to get us home, no matter what.  Enough to buy a reliable car, airline tickets, etc.  It's scattered amongst the coach and vehicles as a precaution.  I used to take $1/mile for whatever distance we might get from home.  Inflation has raised that number.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I keep cash on hand but rarely use it. I used my checkbook the last time I was at La Posa South in Quartzite since they don't take any kind of credit/debit card. Iron Rangers never take credit cards so it's wise for those of us who like that type of camping to keep a checkbook or cash on hand, preferably lots of small bills.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

8 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I do that now. Have ever since they came out.

If you are worried about that I suggest that using a wallet with shielding would be a lot more convenient and probably more reliable as well. Having carried one for a long time, I will caution you that if you do you will have to remove it to go through security metal detectors.

2 hours ago, sandsys said:

I keep cash on hand but rarely use it. I used my checkbook the last time I was at La Posa South in Quartzite since they don't take any kind of credit/debit card. Iron Rangers never take credit cards so it's wise for those of us who like that type of camping to keep a checkbook or cash on hand, preferably lots of small bills.

Linda Sand

I thought I had gotten away from checks till last summer working at my brothers Shop. Credit cards and Debit cards were charging a fee of 3.95% for the convenience of using the card. The "Farmers" who used to use their card all the time switched back to checks and so did I. Most of the "City Slickers" could care less about the extra charge on their card. I try to pay cash to all the Mom and Pop stores I visit. I also always tip in cash. 

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

1 hour ago, lappir said:

I thought I had gotten away from checks till last summer working at my brothers Shop. Credit cards and Debit cards were charging a fee of 3.95% for the convenience of using the card. The "Farmers" who used to use their card all the time switched back to checks and so did I. Most of the "City Slickers" could care less about the extra charge on their card. I try to pay cash to all the Mom and Pop stores I visit. I also always tip in cash. 

Rod 

We never eat out anymore so no tips.

I'm running into more and more places that either don't take plastic, or have a "convenience fee" for using a card.  It's surprising how many places will give a nice cash discount if you ask.

We don't eat out a lot, but like Rod, I almost always leave a cash tip.  We also avoid chain restaurants.  The little guys get hurt most by credit card fees as they don't have the bargaining power of a chain.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

We don't use any banking on our phones. We have much more secure desktops here at home. Both Android and iOS have had too many breaches as have vendors. We use credit cards because of the cash back, keep some cash and hard currency, under $500 cash in our safe. I keep a little cash in my wallet only when going to buy something from online for sale ads. We have debit cards but almost never use them. If a store or vendor wants to tack on a charge I'm going to pay it or not. It depends. We use Costco for Lynda's Forester, my car charges are included in our electric bill. We do use RFID wallets, no tap to pay or apps on phones. We rarely do restaurants except for takeout, no fast foods. We get outdoors here free or nearly for nature and Great Zoos and Aquariums and museums are within an hour in all directions. For cash we stop at our Navy Federal Credit union ATM window on the way to whatever purchase or activity where cash is better. Folks don't gawk much at our masks indoors in public like in 2020.

Happy New Year and Safe travels!

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

12 hours ago, rickeieio said:

I'm running into more and more places that either don't take plastic, or have a "convenience fee" for using a card.  It's surprising how many places will give a nice cash discount if you ask.

Could you share some examples? The only place that I recall running into that recently was RV parks last spring we stayed in one that only took cash and another that took cash or checks with a 5% surcharge for cards. There is also a small specialty store that my wife visits that is cash or checks only near us. There could well be others that I am unaware of!

Edited by Kirk W