Folks most likely to be the victim of scam phone calls are over 65

franco-bolli

I don't think this has been posted here before so I'll add it to the list of things to look out for.

Most of the folks that are savvy enough to use this forum, are aware of the opportunities for being scammed and can most times identify them before becoming a victim.

The video I'm posting from a well know YouTube contributor, Mark Rober, shows what he has done to disrupt the call centers  in India.

While it's entertaining to watch, it's also important to know that while the call centers were off line, the scammers were unable to collect their typical $65,000 per day!

here's the video.  Pranking the scam call center

IF you know someone that is over 65, be sure to advise them to be ware of the potential for un wittingly giving up personal information or money from their accounts.

May the odds be in your favor..

+++++++++++_____________________________________+++++++++++

2021 Ram 3500  2017 Arctic Fox 25W(to be traded??)
HAM guy (Ke7FIX), photography, woodworking (mostly sawdust),
Electronics Technician,  USAF DAV

Going where everyone has gone before

event.png                                             

For me calls are easy, I use an app that has a HUGE database of phone numbers associated with scammers and those calls are sent to never-never land automatically. Any other calls I get I trash if I don't recognize the number and they can't leave me a voice mail.

For emails, Gmail does a pretty good job of filtering but they are not infallible. For example, just this morning I got an email thanking me for my PayPal purchase. Needless to say it was a phishing message. What it did do, although no purchase had actually gone through, was prompt me to turn on 2-step authentication for all PP logins or uses, change my password and challenge questions. 

I really to understand why the over 65 crowd is being targeted as they are less likely to be tech literate than younger folk.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg