Lost a phone? Here's how to track the location of an iPhone or Android device

RV_

You can enable these to track kids as well.

Wondering how to find your lost phone? Or perhaps you'd like to make sure a loved one gets to their destination safely? Let this guide for iOS and Android show you the way.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-gps-track-a-phone/?ftag=TRE-03-10aaa6b&bhid={%24external_id}&mid={%24MESSAGE_ID}&cid={%24contact_id}

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 3 months later...

Since most everyone I know leaves their Location, Bluetooth, and wi-fi turned off most of the time, this doesn't work.  Those three apps use up the majority of your battery life just doing nothing.

CA Dept of Fish & Wildlife (Ret)

US Navy (Ret)

2023 RAM 2500 Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi, 2x4, Reg cab, 8' bed, GVWR 10,000#, Cargo Cap 3913#, Tow Cap 15,540#

2 hours ago, Tulecreeper said:

Since most everyone I know leaves their Location, Bluetooth, and wi-fi turned off most of the time, this doesn't work.  Those three apps use up the majority of your battery life just doing nothing.

You're certainly entitled to your choice of whether to leave those three features disabled or not, and I believe you that most everyone you know does so.  However, your last sentence is completely incorrect.

I don't know what phone you use, but on my iPhone I can see in the settings under "Battery" exactly which apps are using the battery power.  Location services, bluetooth, and wi-fi are not listed.  They are not "apps".  The apps which use those three features are listed, none of which use much battery life at all.

I leave location services turned on for a few apps, like Maps, Compass, Gas Buddy, Dashcam, etc.  I can select which apps to use location services for and which not.

I leave bluetooth turned on to connect to my truck when I'm driving, so I can talk and text hands free in the vehicle.  The phone also connects to my smart watch through bluetooth.

I sometimes turn wi-fi off, but generally leave it on so when I walk into my house I can use wi-fi instead of my phone plan data.

To say that those features are "just doing nothing" is not close to true.

Like Don, I leave those services on as well and still see about 24 hours of battery life before needing to recharge with normal usage. I need Bluetooth on to connect the phone to my hearing aids, and WiFi calling works even when the carrier signal is weak or non-existent. As said, location serves several apps that I use regularly, and also allows my wife to easily keep track of my whereabouts with my permission.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

20 hours ago, durangodon said:

You're certainly entitled to your choice of whether to leave those three features disabled or not, and I believe you that most everyone you know does so.  However, your last sentence is completely incorrect.

I don't know what phone you use, but on my iPhone I can see in the settings under "Battery" exactly which apps are using the battery power.  Location services, bluetooth, and wi-fi are not listed.  They are not "apps".  The apps which use those three features are listed, none of which use much battery life at all.

I leave location services turned on for a few apps, like Maps, Compass, Gas Buddy, Dashcam, etc.  I can select which apps to use location services for and which not.

I leave bluetooth turned on to connect to my truck when I'm driving, so I can talk and text hands free in the vehicle.  The phone also connects to my smart watch through bluetooth.

I sometimes turn wi-fi off, but generally leave it on so when I walk into my house I can use wi-fi instead of my phone plan data.

To say that those features are "just doing nothing" is not close to true.

I have an Android, and I can also see what uses up most of my battery.  Location is the big one for me because Google Maps, Compass, and Gas Buddy (among others) are apps that use Location and they are always pinging for updated information.  Bluetooth and wi-fi are also always actively searching for a signal.  I use my phone for making calls and texting, period, both of which I may have used 5 times total in the past month...mostly texts because I very seldom make or receive calls.

When I first got this phone in 2020, I uninstalled or disabled the majority of the apps that came with it, and I have downloaded no others.  I think I've used it maybe a dozen times to access the internet, and that was to check the weather.

As you said, you're entitled to use whatever apps you need.  I need almost none.

Edited by Tulecreeper

US Navy (Ret)

2023 RAM 2500 Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi, 2x4, Reg cab, 8' bed, GVWR 10,000#, Cargo Cap 3913#, Tow Cap 15,540#

58 minutes ago, Tulecreeper said:

I have an Android, and I can also see what uses up most of my battery.  Location is the big one for me because Google Maps, Compass, and Gas Buddy (among others) are apps that use Location and they are always pinging for updated information.  Bluetooth and wi-fi are also always actively searching for a signal.  I use my phone for making calls and texting, period, both of which I may have used 5 times total in the past month...mostly texts because I very seldom make or receive calls.

When I first got this phone in 2020, I uninstalled or disabled the majority of the apps that came with it, and I have downloaded no others.  I think I've used it maybe a dozen times to access the internet, and that was to check the weather.

As you said, you're entitled to use whatever apps you need.  I need almost none.

This conversation piqued my interest so I checked my phone. Below are the apps that impact the battery the most and anything not listed uses 0.1% or less. Of the listed apps Chrome, AccuWeather and Google Play Services (not to be confused with Pay Store) used location and Chrome only used location when actively using the app. Google Play Services provides location for things like 911 and Emergency notifications as well as providing support to any other app requiring location services. Overall then I would say that location services have a very low impact on my battery. I too keep WiFi and Bluetooth enabled for convenience. Bluetooth connects to both cars when I am out and WiFi lets me use my phone even when deep inside a store when normally you would lose cell signal. Now, when I am waiting in the car for my wife or waiting in a doctors office lobby I will use the Kindle app which does use a lot of battery as it is keeping the screen on constantly. 

Gmail 1.5%

Chrome 1.0%

One UI Home 0.7%

Always on Display 0.7%

AccuWeather 0.5%

Google Play Services 0.3%

Tulecreeper, you strike me as someone that would get along fine on an old non-smart flip phone. 😀

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

3 hours ago, Chalkie said:

This conversation piqued my interest so I checked my phone. Below are the apps that impact the battery the most and anything not listed uses 0.1% or less. Of the listed apps Chrome, AccuWeather and Google Play Services (not to be confused with Pay Store) used location and Chrome only used location when actively using the app. Google Play Services provides location for things like 911 and Emergency notifications as well as providing support to any other app requiring location services. Overall then I would say that location services have a very low impact on my battery. I too keep WiFi and Bluetooth enabled for convenience. Bluetooth connects to both cars when I am out and WiFi lets me use my phone even when deep inside a store when normally you would lose cell signal. Now, when I am waiting in the car for my wife or waiting in a doctors office lobby I will use the Kindle app which does use a lot of battery as it is keeping the screen on constantly. 

Gmail 1.5%

Chrome 1.0%

One UI Home 0.7%

Always on Display 0.7%

AccuWeather 0.5%

Google Play Services 0.3%

Tulecreeper, you strike me as someone that would get along fine on an old non-smart flip phone. 😀

I don't have Gmail, Chrome, or One UI (don't even know what that is), and I have mine set to turn the screen off after 5 minutes.  I disabled AccuWeather and the other couple weather apps and only enable them when I use them maybe once a month.

And yes, I was doing fine with a flip phone until 2020 when Verizon said they would no longer support 3G so I figured I may as well upgrade sooner rather than later.  In all actuality, I really don't even need a phone.  But I fish and hunt A LOT, usually alone, and my wife wants me to be able to call someone if I fall and bust a knee or something.  I haven't bothered to mention that half the places I go I don't have cell reception, but ya do what ya gotta.

US Navy (Ret)

For many of us smart phones have become vital elements of our daily lives.  As Dutch has already mentioned, my phone's Bluetooth is essential in order to adjust my hearing aids.  My wife relies on Bluetooth to monitor her blood glucose levels using her Dexcom 6.   Neither my Pixel 7 Pro nor my wife's iPhone need recharging during the day despite the fact that I use mine almost continuously.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

5 hours ago, Tulecreeper said:

But I fish and hunt A LOT, usually alone, and my wife wants me to be able to call someone if I fall and bust a knee or something.  I haven't bothered to mention that half the places I go I don't have cell reception, but ya do what ya gotta.

You might consider switching to T-Mobile in the not too distant future then as they have teamed with Starlink to create cell phone coverage literally everywhere. 

T‑Mobile Takes Coverage Above and Beyond With SpaceX

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

On 4/10/2023 at 11:55 AM, Tulecreeper said:

I don't have Gmail, Chrome, or One UI (don't even know what that is), and I have mine set to turn the screen off after 5 minutes.  I disabled AccuWeather and the other couple weather apps and only enable them when I use them maybe once a month.

And yes, I was doing fine with a flip phone until 2020 when Verizon said they would no longer support 3G so I figured I may as well upgrade sooner rather than later.  In all actuality, I really don't even need a phone.  But I fish and hunt A LOT, usually alone, and my wife wants me to be able to call someone if I fall and bust a knee or something.  I haven't bothered to mention that half the places I go I don't have cell reception, but ya do what ya gotta.

I have the same problem.

I got a phone amplifier, but they are less useful these days since analog went away.

Use this web site to keep track of cell service:  https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=47.79731,-120.41513&z=12&b=om&a=modis_mp%2Ccellcoverage_t

You should always know where the closes cell service is possible.

StarLink is an option.  The wifi calling works.  EXCEPT my StarLink quit working and I am on day FIVE of trying to get somebody to respond to me!!!

I did have a medical emergency a couple of weeks ago 70 miles from the nearest hospital.  I was camped alone with only one eye functional.

Not sure I handled that "perfectly", but you might want to write a plan for dealing with medical situations prior to the incident.

Good luck. 

BUT, I do remember when I broke my ankle working in the Wilderness and got flown out on a Forest Service contract helicopter.  The hospital called my wife and said...."your husband is ok".....She interrupted the phone call and said "of course, he's ok...he is out in the middle of the Wilderness".

It is safer out there than in the urban areas, but in most cases your in charge of your "rescue".

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

18 hours ago, Vladimir said:

I have the same problem.

I got a phone amplifier, but they are less useful these days since analog went away.

Use this web site to keep track of cell service:  https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=47.79731,-120.41513&z=12&b=om&a=modis_mp%2Ccellcoverage_t

You should always know where the closes cell service is possible.

StarLink is an option.  The wifi calling works.  EXCEPT my StarLink quit working and I am on day FIVE of trying to get somebody to respond to me!!!

I did have a medical emergency a couple of weeks ago 70 miles from the nearest hospital.  I was camped alone with only one eye functional.

Not sure I handled that "perfectly", but you might want to write a plan for dealing with medical situations prior to the incident.

Good luck. 

BUT, I do remember when I broke my ankle working in the Wilderness and got flown out on a Forest Service contract helicopter.  The hospital called my wife and said...."your husband is ok".....She interrupted the phone call and said "of course, he's ok...he is out in the middle of the Wilderness".

It is safer out there than in the urban areas, but in most cases your in charge of your "rescue".

Thank you very much.  While I appreciate the link to the map, the location of cell towers and/or cell reception doesn't dictate where I fish or hunt.

I always file a "flight plan" when I leave to go anywhere - where I'm going, the closet launch ramp, the closest roads, where I'll be hunting or fishing, when I plan on returning, etc. - but there are not infrequent times where if something happened to me the first inkling for anyone would be when I'm several hours late getting home.

Three years ago, I returned to the launch ramp after duck hunting to find that one of the heater hose connectors in my truck had busted.  I couldn't drive it or all my coolant would have poured out.  I was an hour and a half drive from home, I had no cell service, it was a very remote launch ramp, there was no one else there and it was after dark, so I had to walk 2 miles down the road to a farm house to call for a tow truck (I also called my wife).  The woman on the phone couldn't find me by GPS location because I had an old flip-phone, and she didn't understand when I tried to explain that I was also at the end of 'County Road XX', which dead-ended at the lake.  I ended up having the rancher take me to my truck, where he hooked me up and towed me and my boat back to his place, where I spent the night in his guest room.  The next day I got everything straightened out.

I love the outdoors and I won't let the lack of technology keep from doing what I enjoy.

US Navy (Ret)

On 4/10/2023 at 4:12 PM, docj said:

For many of us smart phones have become vital elements of our daily lives.  As Dutch has already mentioned, my phone's Bluetooth is essential in order to adjust my hearing aids.  My wife relies on Bluetooth to monitor her blood glucose levels using her Dexcom 6.   Neither my Pixel 7 Pro nor my wife's iPhone need recharging during the day despite the fact that I use mine almost continuously.

X2. Joel my old Motorola phones got three days service on a charge except for long video calls which sucked battery. My current Pixel 6 Pro gets almost two days and a day and a half with a lot of use.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire