Securing door

groran

Hello, we are going to dry camp soon and most of the time. I can't help worrying about meth heads, drug heads popping my rv door and being inside before I can even get out of bed to shoot them. I thought about installing L brackets and put a 2x4 across it kind of like a fence gate, but I would have to remove the screen door and it won't be pretty with the brackets . Any suggestions? Of course my door opens out. I have a Fleetwood 5th wheel, thanks

4 hours ago, groran said:

I can't help worrying about meth heads, drug heads popping my rv door and being inside before I can even get out of bed to shoot them

Where do you plan to do this dry camping, the slums of large cities? 

2 hours ago, pjstough said:

perhaps boondocking is not for you.

Agreed! I have been using RVs for nearly 50 years and have stayed in many remote areas as well as larger cities but in all of that time I have never had anything like the experiences that you are afraid of. We lived in our class A for 12 continuous years, and have never known of anyone who had that sort of problem either, 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We boondock quite a bit and just lock the door. Your best deterrent is a dog, any dog. Thieves like silence and a small yappy rat dog works just as well as a Rottweiler to sound off.

Other than that, yes, I do carry and keep personal protection with me all the time and am more than prepared to use it if necessary.

Unlike some on here, I would rather be protected and not need it than need it and not have it. Just being in a remote location doesn't guarantee that you will not have late night visitors of the 2 or 4 legged variety.

Edited by GeorgiaHybrid

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Its crude and ugly and NOT professional looking but I have seen gents use an iron pipe that passes through well secured eye bolts to where one would have to demolish the door to gain entry. With all of todays security features such as cameras, motion detectors, lights and alarms out there such may be a safer more secure method of protection. If someone outside gets too close or attempts entry and lights bells whistles and alarms go off that may well scare them away. If not, there's personal protection of course !!!!!!!!!!! This is a very personal decision for you alone and none of us to make. It doesnt matter in the least if any of us ever had a problem or not !!!!!!!!!! It only takes one time !!! I figure crooks are less apt to be looking way out in the boonies for opportunities than in cities but what do any of us know ???

Pipes, brackets, bars, locks, personal protection, electronics alarms are YOUR choice... 

John T in the RV in Perry Florida boondocked in a church parking lot Locked n Loaded lol

this is a new member and maybe new to rv'ing so I take their concern to heart.  Remember what happened to Nick when he was at business to get some repairs. I don't remember Nicks last name but I am sure some will know who I am talking about.  Things may not happen often but when they do it could be a matter of seconds so I think they are smart to think ahead and ask for guidance based on others with more experience.

Boondocking for the first time can bring on fear. Most of us that have spent time boondocking have learned that problems like you described are very rare. In fact I feel safer boondocking than in many neighborhoods. Like many here we have been boondockers for years, even decades and have never had, seen or even heard of that type of problem. Our neighbor has wanted to boondock but he also has fears and won't do it. In his case I think it is a fear of the unknown more than anything. We do lock our doors and try to be aware of our surroundings and we have protective measures but we love our time boondocking and do it often.

Edited by Kirk W
remove excessive empty space.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Our dead bolt on our doors appears to be pretty secure and we use the keypad locks. Since you door opens outward like most RVs, you should be able to fabricate a latch that can go thru the screen door hatch to get to the door handle and fasten to a latch  inside. The only issue I have with this is if there is a fire and you need to get out quickly, having another latch to unhook could add to the escape time. In our case we have 4 RV style doors on our 5th wheel so I would have to come up with a security system for each. Like others, there are other ways like personal protection or dogs that may be better if you are worried.  

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

9 hours ago, bigjim said:

this is a new member and maybe new to rv'ing so I take their concern to heart. 

His profile says that he joined July 6, 2007

9 hours ago, bigjim said:

Remember what happened to Nick when he was at business to get some repairs. I don't remember Nicks last name but I am sure some will know who I am talking abou

I do remember Nick's story and I also remember that Nick is a fiction writer......... 

9 hours ago, Randyretired said:

Boondocking for the first time can bring on fear.

Absolutely true and a good reason to reassure folks that while nowhere is one 100% safe the RV world is statically one of the safest ways to live. One does need to be aware of their surroundings and choose where they spend the nights with good judgment. Since he used the term "dry camping" I suspect that he is thinking of parking lots and such which probably does have a higher risk that more remote areas that come to mind with the term "boondocking." If that is the case then choice of location is, or could be of importance for security. If that is the case, my advice would be to park where there are others spending the night, and that there are security alarms and lights that are motion sensor actuated that can alert him should anyone approach but that such problems are an extreme rarity. If adding some type of barrier to the entry door is reassuring there is nothing really wrong with that but I would suggest an alarm or security light would be more effective and have less impact on the RV's appearance. 

I hope that he does return to see what we have suggested and join our group!

16 hours ago, bigjim said:

this is a new member and maybe new to rv'ing so I take their concern to heart.  Remember what happened to Nick when he was at business to get some repairs. I don't remember Nicks last name but I am sure some will know who I am talking about.  Things may not happen often but when they do it could be a matter of seconds so I think they are smart to think ahead and ask for guidance based on others with more experience.

Nick was not boondocking. He was parked behind a service facility waiting for it to open the next day. He'd gone out for dinner and found trouble when he returned. This was in a city--not out in the boondocks. And it's not fiction. The cops caught the perp when he went to a hospital for treatment of the injury Nick inflicted.

Linda

ps. I've been on this forum since, I think, 2007 and this is the ONLY incident reported in all that time.

Edited by sandsys

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I think that it was 1996 when I first visited the Escapee forums and I believe that it was probably 2007 at our first Escapade when I first met Nick Russell, not too long after he started the Gypsy Journal. It has some more recent pictures of Miss Terry but none of him and the picture there has not changed in years. He is a very interesting fellow. 

Let's not hijack the thread in hopes that groran returns as he has not been back since that first post. 

Edited by Kirk W
corrected date

9 hours ago, Kirk W said:

His profile says that he joined July 6, 2007

I jumped to that conclusion based on it showing as his first post. I did not follow threw and check his profile.  But under any circumstance I take his concern seriously even if he is experienced.

I would agree with Kirks assumptions about his inquiry and hope he returns.

True enough Nick was not boondocking or dry camping but I see the principle as the same. I have a somewhat crummy memory but I have heard and known of other incidents during my time. You may remember a couple that were kidnapped and later killed that were overnighting at the NM tourist  stop just coming out of TX heading west. I have overnighted there several times and a few places even sketchier. I wonder if their life eperience was the same as mine would it have happened.  I am a volunteer and I litteraly got a call on Christmas Day last year from a person that lived at the forest boundry about an incident on the forest nearby. I was in TN at my daughters house. I called a FS  LEO and the county sheriff and had the resident call also. The guy even had a warrant out for shooting at  police. Not preaching but we have to be aware as we can for sure.

Edited by bigjim

12 hours ago, Kirk W said:

I do remember Nick's story and I also remember that Nick is a fiction writer......... 

Hmmmmm.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Like Star Dreamer I use the deadbolt, and the standard latch lock.I flip the switch so the electric steps retract, which means both locks are 6' off the ground. I also have an LED motion-activated porch light. When the porch light comes on it also triggers the bright LED step-well light inside the RV.

I also agree, a small dog will sound the alarm at the slightest sound.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

2 hours ago, RV_ said:

Hmmmmm.

NY Times best selling author Nick Russell is a former fulltimer that published the Gypsy Journal for a number of years, and has also written a number of RV related travel books among others. He currently writes three different series of fiction novels, the Big Lake series, the John Lee Quarrels series, and the historical fiction Tinder Street series. 

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=nick+russell&crid=2QPBDRL04G15Y&sprefix=nick+russell%2Caps%2C298&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Thanks Dutch, I know, Nick is a friend of mine. I am also a fan of his Big Lake series of books and have all of them. I have not gotten around to his other two series of books but I will.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

1 hour ago, RV_ said:

Thanks Dutch, I know, Nick is a friend of mine. I am also a fan of his Big Lake series of books and have all of them. I have not gotten around to his other two series of books but I will.

Definitely get to his other two series when you get a chance, Derek. Both are quite good, and all three series are available with a Kindle Unlimited subscription.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Kirk it looks like it has been covered. I think folks who come here asking for help/ideas are responsible for asking more questions or commenting when they get answers.

I changed my door glass from the stock glass in my 5th wheel's door glass frame to security glass with the wire embedded in my first fiver when I replaced the door.

It is obvious that some folks would like a more secure door lock on RVs. Here is one alternative:

I actually like that design. It does what a cross bar does elegantly and isn't an eyesore. However I would prefer the bar part to be inside as any pry bar could make quick work of that outside bar.

It looks like a great opportunity for an engineer to design one. There may be one already in the works.

We had a very large protective Shar-Pei traveling with us and kept defense weapons in accordance with laws where we traveled. We considered installing a loud outside siren wired to a switch by the bed/door, but we were both retired young and 45-52 when full time, as well as ex-cops. 

So the above is one additional security lock, and I concur that RV lock sets could be much improved and additional security devices would find a market.

More here: https://www.milenco.com/products/security/recreational-vehicle-door-locks

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998