Don't Do TikTok

RV_

I never have and won't. Here's why. YMMV!

Excerpt:

"TikTok is the future of social media. Not the permanent future, but the near future. And I feel guilty not getting onto TikTok, because it’s a very big deal, a lot of people are there, and in my business you have to go where the people are.

But I keep resisting it because TikTok is genuinely dangerous.

The small-bore concern is personal data. TikTok is basically Chinese spyware. The platform is owned by a Chinese company, Bytedance, which, like all Chinese companies, operates at the pleasure of the Chinese Communist Party.1 Anyone from Bytedance who wants to look into an American user’s TikTok data can do so. And they do it on the reg.

Maybe you’re blasé about your personal data. After the OPM hack you figure that Xi Jinping already knows your Social Security number and your mother’s maiden name. If the ChiComs don’t have your data now, they will eventually. You might as well get some mind-numbing idiocy out of the deal.

But personal data isn’t the big danger. The big danger is that TikTok decides."

Source:

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 10 months later...

I'd be surprised if any one on this site used Tic Toc. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

TikTok is mind-numbing drivel IMO, from what I've seen via adds on the web. It's a good website if you want to take the Tide pod in your mouth challenge.💀

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

11 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

TikTok is mind-numbing drivel IMO, from what I've seen via adds on the web. It's a good website if you want to take the Tide pod in your mouth challenge.💀

I do not have Tik Tok but the same could be said of Instagram, X, Truth, Reddit, Pinterest, Snapchat or any of the other multitude of social media apps. It all depends on the source, in other words who is doing the posting. For example, there is one individual on X that I follow for the entertainment value which is actually drivel, but it is funny (to me) drivel.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

• 2 months later...

There are valid reasons the present administration banned tictok from gov. issued devices.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

1 hour ago, Ray,IN said:

There are valid reasons the present administration banned tictok from gov. issued devices.

It was the previous administration that banned tictok.

Retired USN Engineer

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel

2014 Crossroads Zinger 27RL (Traded)

2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

13 hours ago, markandkim said:

This is not political, simply pointing out an error. Quote from Wikipedia:

On December 30, 2022, President Joe Biden signed the No TikTok on Government Devices Act, prohibiting the use of the app on devices owned by the federal government, with some exceptions.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

15 hours ago, markandkim said:

Nope.  Excerpt:  "the Biden administration gave all government agency staff 30 days to delete TikTok from federal devices and systems over data security concerns."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tiktok-banned-us-government-where-else-around-the-world/

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

• Kirk W locked this topic