Off road fivers

On 12/3/2022 at 8:17 AM, Jinx & Wayne said:

So far we've been east of the Rockies where there is far less boondocking.

Wayne

If you haven't spent much time out west my recommendation is head west with your current rig.  Most of the major attractions are somewhat big rig friendly.  After that you can look at buying a new rig. 

BTW up in Canada loots of folks buy a small fiberglass trailer AND a pop-up truck camper and end up with a two bedroom two bath RV!!!   I am looking real hard at getting a basic 4-Wheel pop-up to use as a "office" on my truck camper and use the Casita trailer for living.

The National Forests are great lands to explore.  But out west there are state Fish and Wildlife areas, state managed lands, COE lands, even county sites that allow boondocking. 

I love the National Forests for hiking, but much of my time boondocking is spent on state lands simply because that is where the better hunting and fishing is found. 

Do look at the "flatland" National Forests.  Those are big rig friendly.

Edited by Vladimir

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

22 hours ago, sandsys said:

And the Tennessee Valley Authority as I understand it.

Linda

I had a collegue that took a job with the Forest Service for the Land between the Lakes area.  Not sure if the Forest Service still manages the area, but he got the job to deal with dispersed camping issues.

Here is a link on the area: https://www.campendium.com/land-between-the-lakes-national-recreation-area

That is all I know of the area....never been there.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

You might also look at county parks. Most of us know about the county parks around Phoenix but they are often close to other metro areas. The Hennepin County park nearest us west of Minneapolis is big rig friendly with hookups although some of their sites are not close to level and their dump is on a hill! But, there is a Cabela's NW of town just off I-94 with free dump and fill stands in their parking lot.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 2 weeks later...

We're on our second Arctic Fox and we've just begun planning for our retirement with our third, and final, fifth wheel.  I approached AF for the build and unfortunately, they couldn't see fit to include the floor design we requested.  That's the ONLY reason why we had to take a pass on this purchase.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

11 hours ago, spindrift said:

We're on our second Arctic Fox and we've just begun planning for our retirement with our third, and final, fifth wheel.  I approached AF for the build and unfortunately, they couldn't see fit to include the floor design we requested.  That's the ONLY reason why we had to take a pass on this purchase.

Are you saying you wanted to design your own?

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel