Suspension re-fresh

rickeieio

We've had a problem with the brake hoses failing on our trailer.  Well, it is 15 years old.  One hose developed a bubble (aneurism), which leaked.  Another rusted near the fitting where it connected to the caliper.  So, I bought a hand full of rubber lines to just replace the rest of them.  Today I crawled under the coach to make sure I had everything I'd need, and discovered I did not.  We need some shackles, bolts, bushings, rubber spring blocks (Mor-Ryde suspension), and perhaps shocks.  Hmmmm.......  I could do this myself, but my aching bones say to tote it to the trailer repair guy and concentrate on other tasks.

So, how many of you would dive in and do this yourself, v. how many would chicken out, the way I did?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Still a wage slave, so every dollar is already spent. Pulling wrenches is the only way to make sure it's done to my satisfaction. Never mind all the other things I'd see while under there.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Dropped it off this morning.  It'll get the mentioned brake hoses, new wheel bearings, shackle bushings, a hand full of shackles, 4 new Mor-Ryde rubber shock blocks........$$$$$$  But, it'll be done right.  We've owned this trailer about 7-8 years and the only thing I've done to the running gear is adjust a couple wheel bearings, until recently.  Time for an overhaul.

Meanwhile, I have the truck in the shop for some small projects..  Side turn signals, a bike rack between the cab and the car, mount hood mirrors,  find where water is getting my bed sub frame and seal it, put drawers in my tool cabinet, etc.

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

rickeleio, your signature says you are "young enough to play in the dirt", rolling around under your trailer on a creeper should be a cakewalk with an air hose, impact wrench and someone to hand you tools and beer as needed.☺️

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

1 hour ago, Ray,IN said:

rickeleio, your signature says you are "young enough to play in the dirt", rolling around under your trailer on a creeper should be a cakewalk with an air hose, impact wrench and someone to hand you tools and beer as needed.☺️

Yes, but while I'm young enough to play in the dirt, that doesn't mean it isn't getting harder to get up off the concrete.

I took the trailer to a trusted trailer repair shop, and he confirmed that many parts are worn to the point of just replacing them, since they'll be out anyway.  He's about 25 years younger than I......

Speaking of signatures, did you know that quote in yours is plagiarized?  Political speeches often are..

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

23 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Yes, but while I'm young enough to play in the dirt, that doesn't mean it isn't getting harder to get up off the concrete.

I took the trailer to a trusted trailer repair shop, and he confirmed that many parts are worn to the point of just replacing them, since they'll be out anyway.  He's about 25 years younger than I......

Speaking of signatures, did you know that quote in yours is plagiarized?  Political speeches often are..

What is plagiarized? By whom?? That is a copy N paste from a famous quotes website. BTW It was not a political speech it was John Kennedy's inauguration address.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

1 hour ago, Ray,IN said:

What is plagiarized? By whom?? That is a copy N paste from a famous quotes website. BTW It was not a political speech it was John Kennedy's inauguration address.

Plagiarism is passing off someone else's work as one's own.  The quotation in Ray, IN's signature is given with quotes, attribution and a date.  Not the slightest hint of plagiarism.

Now if Ray had written "Just like I have always said, ask not what one's country can do for you....." now that would be plagiarism!  😀

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

My reference to plagiarism is that Kennedy "borrowed" that line from one of his college professors.  I wasn't implying that Ray had engaged in plagiarism.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

5 hours ago, rickeieio said:

My reference to plagiarism is that Kennedy "borrowed" that line from one of his college professors.  I wasn't implying that Ray had engaged in plagiarism.

And the college professor borrowed it as well since it was originally said much, much earlier. "Ask not what your country can do for you, but rather what you can do for your country." ~ Marcus Tullius Cicero, 63 B.C.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

3 hours ago, Chalkie said:

And the college professor borrowed it as well since it was originally said much, much earlier. "Ask not what your country can do for you, but rather what you can do for your country." ~ Marcus Tullius Cicero, 63 B.C.

And Cicero got it from Cro-Magnon man who said "Grunt, grunt...grunt-grunt grunt".

Anything anybody says has been said before, like deja vu all over again.

13 hours ago, rickeieio said:

I've always said I learn something every day I  visit RVing forums, today is no different. I never knew that Kennedy borrowed that line.

And to think this began with me kidding you about working under your trailer on a creeper.

Oh my!!!  I'm not old enough to remember back that far.

It would seem many of the really good lines have been used before.  Sort of like so many "new" tunes being based on something from the classicals.

Have we strayed far enough from the original subject? 🤣

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

• 3 months later...

Oh man does this strike Home, at 66 myself, aged Hard from years as a wrench and a power station operator.  Concrete floors and grating are tough on anyone.  Knees no longer like me, shoulders either, have Cubital Tunnel(Elbow region) and find nearly anything I feel the need to fix hurts me worse, yet STILL crawl under.

Dave

Our rig is a 2019 5th wheel. I'm almost 67 and just started to replace our bushings, wet bolts, nuts and shackles this month and this time I'm replacing the Lippert Equaflex with MORryde. I last replaced our bronze bushings in the leaf spring eyes 3 years and @ 17,000 miles ago. So far in the right side I found one bad bushing out of 7, the rest were ok. The bad one was in the rear axle spring eye to frame hanger mount. But then again I grease the suspension every quarter. I haven't done the left side yet. I'm doing it in gravel but I have some really cushioned knee pads. Still it gets you in the back, knees, hips and just about everywhere else! It's not a difficult job if you have the know how, tools, jacks, stands and such, and I'm repacking the wheel bearings and checking the brake linings at the same time. Takes me about 4-4.5 hours per side.

I do one bushing at a time and tie the axles together with a ratchet strap so when I take the spring eyes out of the frame hangers to replace the bushing, I raise them back up and the spring eye and frame hanger holes line up.

But still I'm getting to the point where I just don't want to do it anymore. Then again I think about $225/hr labor rates and I'm crawling under there again. Like was said i know how it was done and to my satisfaction, i like to clock the wet bolt grease holes to the 3 or 9 o'clock position, makes it easier to get grease into the wet bolt. Someone else could care less where the wet bolt grease hole is.

Steve & Tami Cass, Fulltime Somewhere

2018 Ram 3500 DRW / 2019 Grand Design Solitude 3350RL S-Class. Texas Class A Drivers License