Asked WHY this truck size

ddm502001

Cousin, SLC resident, asked of what benevolent sanity did I choose the truck I am now getting ready to establish Our Camper Tow vehicle of.  We spoke of Machine repairability, Longevity, parts sourcing, capacity and style for my own pet peeves, ability to manage without any concern the weight and size of a decent sized RV 5ver.  She has not ever been around a HDT to see the Positives, sees as my wife, a BEHEMOTH she cannot ever entertain operating, SCARY!!

Granted, what I have brought back to life is HUGE, but I also drove these for a living, worked on them for another living and handle them as would any VW, Van, Auto, Pickup or School bus, any machine is maneuverable to one that is aware of limitations.  Have dealt with Quad Axle Dump trucks in narrow confines, this machine does not scare me.

Dave

We used to get asked that quite often.  Recently though, it's just been "Love your rig!"  The times, they are a change'n.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

My first answer has been that it’s “Cheaper than a pickup.”  Then I add some of the reasons you mentioned.

12 hours ago, ddm502001 said:

We spoke of Machine repairability, Longevity, parts sourcing, capacity

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

When I got my truck my friends and family were just looking like check out what the Redneck did now. we were all over snapchat and stuff locally. People making fun of us, saying we were stupid for having a semi to pull a camper. 

My wife is still not a fan of the truck. It had more wrong with it than we realized and had to dump some money in it. Her point is we could have gotten a nicer truck for what we have in it. My point is now that we have gone through everything, we know what we have. I don't think she will be happy until it gets a nice paint job. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Can see good reusable responses to log back for Later use!!!  Had this very commentary come up AGAIN, today as we had dinner with friends, asked WHY in the Hecky Durn would you go thru ALL that effort and have something SOO Massive?  Explained the Positives, Again, the ONLY negative is not locating a park where can pull thru and manage the length, finding that also is slowly changing.  Wife and I will be expanding scope of search for 5ver come Tax Return Time.  WOOHOO its Close!

Dave

Sometimes I just have fun with folks. When they ask why I have the truck that I do, I reply that I know it is a little small for the job, but I only use it on flat ground and when I need to travel in the mountains, I swap it out for my heavy haul truck. I love the looks on their faces as they try to figure out if I am serious or not.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Howdy All,

I gave up trying to educate the unenlightened years ago, now I just smile and ask them if they want to race UPHILL or see who can stop the fastest without ending up in the ditch.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Questions I get all the time is, got enough truck for that or are you sure that truck can handle it? I look right at them with a straight face and say Yea it should it has air bags. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

3 hours ago, jenandjon said:

Questions I get all the time is, got enough truck for that or are you sure that truck can handle it? I look right at them with a straight face and say Yea it should it has air bags. 

I wish we had a "Like" button on this forum...

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

That's the best answer yet!!!!

A few times. we've had the smart backed up near the camper and the truck parked off-site.  When some smart-alek asks how the car handles the camper, I say: "Just fine.  It has air bags and a chip."

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Still not licensed or even been inspected, called SHP as to driving to a shop for labeling dimensions, less than 5 miles, trooper said would notify officers a Unlicensed but approved is moving to a service center.

Gal that does HDT decals for DOT requirements did the measuring she would need.  Not decided on Batt/Tool box lids position or on Sleeper doors for Base Name, City of Origin, Base License weight, S/N.  working those ideas and others, going to draw out a few patterns, overlay to a side photo of machine and send them to me email

Made up last decals for our old grain box truck.  Very satisfying getting it to speed for a number of State Highway Miles.  No leaks feels good at controls.

Dave

Edited by ddm502001