Advice on tire leveling set up.

Chris Downs

Howdy all. New RV'r here and loving it. But having issues with leveling set up. I have the blocks, and they work, but I am NOT adept at backing it up yet, so I was wanting to add an electric jack system. Most of the stuff I read says NOT to use scissor jacks for any weight limit, as they were not designed to hold the RV for say, a 3 day camping trip or any extended time. I also don't mean the stabilizers. There are 4 of those in each corner and they say not to use them as levelers either.

I can find TONS of fifth wheel electric leveling systems (2-3 grand Lippert systems), or I can find a lightweight tire leveler here, that might not fit my r15 tires and is of questionable weight limit. I have a small Forest River Salem FSX 179DBK. I just want an electric jack mounted just behind both tires (single axle) that I can raise and lower with a controller and leave it for the weekend or however long. I would only need 2 of them, and they only have to lift around 3000 as the entire trailer is 3,219 UVW. Seems like an easy thing to me, but I just cannot find anything that fit's the bill. 

Any suggestions? 

Edited by Chris Downs

Welcome to the forums! We are happy to have you here and will do our best to help. My first advice is that you forget about the UVW as a weight since nobody hauls around their RV with nothing in it. You should always use the GVWR which for your trailer is about 5000#. That said, you still really don't have a heavy trailer and once it is level from side to side, front to rear is easy by using the tongue jack. One of the best systems that I have seen in use for small travel trailers is a combination of camper leveler blocks and the Level Mate with phone app. My son has a 24' travel trailer and has used that combination for 2 years now, traveling on several long trips and at least 10 weekends each year and he loves it. After watching him use it on several occasions, there is no doubt in my mind that it would be my choice for a larger travel trailer and the cost is just over $200, far less than any powered leveling system. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Agree with Kirk regarding camper leveler blocks and the Level Mate. When we had our single axle trailer, we used the BAL 28050 a lot assuming the camping pad was firm . It was not very usable on non-firm (muddy or sandy) for the BAL base.  Several times the BAL would just sink the surface. Yes, we had the same problems with camper level blocks and even the Andersen leveling system.   We added to our STUFF we camp with link to loading ramps for the not so solid ground.    The Level Mate is a great tool. 

2022 F-250 4X4 LB SC Godzilla V8 /2014 Northwood Nash 17K/SKP098347

I would second Kirk's suggestions. The LevelMatePRO II cannot be beat and you can see when the RV is level side-to-side from the driver's seat of the tow vehicle using the app on your phone. My choice of levelers are the Beech-Lane. Before we had a rig with auto-leveling, we had issues with other brands breaking (though with your travel trailer, that's likely not at issue).

https://www.amazon.com/Beech-Lane-Camper-Leveler-Pack/dp/B07PM8X48R

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Thanks all. I think in the end, as I am NOT versed in backing it up yet, I will just use a 4ft level (to measure the amount to raise a side by), a 2 ton electric jack (to raise it a bit higher than that amount), then use the leveling blocks I already have under the raised tire. All in, just a bit over 60 bucks. 

I do like the Level Mate and rounded chock level system, and when I know how to back it up and maneuver it better, I will prolly do that. Hoping to get a lot of practice this coming season. 

Thanks again all.

I’m not familiar with your particular trailer, but with a GVWR of 5,000 lbs, it probably has a light-weight frame.  The problem with using leveling devices on trailers with light-weight frames is that you can bend it and get the whole thing out of whack - the reason why levelers aren’t put on them in the first place.

Since you are now thinking of using a jack to raise the side enough to get leveling blocks under the lower side, make sure you know the proper way to jack up the trailer.  Axles and frames can be damaged if done incorrectly.  And yes, it does sound like it would work (jacking up the trailer, putting the blocks under the tires and then lowering the trailer down onto the jacks).

On 11/15/2022 at 6:18 AM, Chris Downs said:

I have the blocks, and they work, but I am NOT adept at backing it up yet, so I was wanting to add an electric jack system.

Truthfully I do not understand what the skill of backing a trailer has to do with leveling. Blocks (Lego type, wood, etc.) or the Anderson levelers can used driving forward on to them or backing on to them. I would get into whatever space, decide which side needed lifting and by how much and then set up the blocks or leveler and much the trailer the few inches needed and then finally leveling front to back.

If your trailer does not have an electric tongue jack, get one, they are a labor saver. Once leveled drop those scissor jacks, using blocks if needed, and you are done. Those scissor jacks can do what they do for weeks if needed. The very smallest are rated for 3000 lbs. each, however, the more common 24" extension jacks are generally rated at 7500 pounds or more. You are correct that they are not designed as lifting jacks, they are more than adequate to support the trailer once leveled. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

1 hour ago, sandsys said:

Could you back into the space, set the blocks in front of the wheels and pull forward onto them?

Linda

This is the easiest way to use your blocks.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I have used the same set of Linx levelers with the top caps since 2007. They are available at many Walmarts and on Amazon. There is a free app called Caravan Leveler that you can install on a tablet or phone. The downside of this is that it is inside the trailer and you have to go in and out of the trailer to view it. I mostly use a 10" torpedo level. If the bubble is slightly off center and the site is gravel, I will push up some gravel in front of the tire(s). If the bubble is off center about a half, I use 1 layer of blocks with a top cap. If the bubble is pinned to one side, I use two layers of blocks. I have rarely needed to use more than two layers. When the trailer is positioned where I want it, I place the blocks next to the tire. I then back up just enough to be able to push the blocks in front of the tire and then pull up onto the blocks.

2 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

I mostly use a 10" torpedo level.

I leveled our travel trailer using my 5' level both front and rear and then installed a set of stick on bubble levels to the front and side. They may not be 100% accurate but the have been sufficently level for more than 5 years now. 

img_3469731_0_d6eccd0f7a2902440219b5f5d3

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI