Switching to Class C/B+ and reliability issues

duraduk

I have been pulling a travel trailer for the last 40 yrs.  At 73 we are taking shorter trips and we are thinking of getting a smaller RV.  I have been doing extensive reading and reviewing different Class C and B+ floor plans along with reviews.   The negative reviews on quality are concerning.  For example I like some of the Thor floor plans but the company has an overwhelming number negative reviews concerning both chassis, build quality and customer service.   I would prefer to buy used.  

Be careful with negative comments towards Thor.  The Thor lovers contend that they have so many complaints due to the large volume of RVs they manufacture.  Personally, I would look at Winnebago, but they have issues as well.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

What is your question? Most class C's today are built on the Ford chassis from pretty much all manufacturers. There are some also on the diesel Sprinter chassis Thor builds some on the GM chassis. Since Thor now owns many of the other companies it could be difficult to get away from them if that is your desire, but Thor does operate the various brands as separate companies with common ownership so they don't all share the same features or assembly plants. There are at least 3 brand names that build in a GM chassis.

1. 2022 Thor Motor Coach Four Winds 24F

2. 2022 Thor Motor Coach Chateau 22B

3. 2022 Coachmen Freelander 21RS

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

My concern is not about the chassis and I assume problems that they have are consistent across all manufactures They are pretty standard.  The fit, finish, and customer support are the potential issues.  I understand that the Mercedes is expensive upfront and according to what I have read their maintenance costs are quite high.  That mileage is negated by the high cost of diesel.   I like the Thor Compass on the smaller Ford chassis but their seems to be much more negative reviews about problems with slides and terrible customer service through the dealers.  I will do some looking into the Chev. chassis as well.

I have had a Arctic Fox travel trailer since 2003 and it has been virtually trouble free.  That along with my 2012 Ram pu have had few issues on the road.

The prices of the smaller motor homes are very high and at my age and fixed income don't want to make a mistake.  

Thanks for your suggestions.

It will be difficult, if not impossible, to find a newer class C to match the build quality of your Arctic Fox.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Thanks for the recommendations.  I am researching the recommendations.  After being out of the RV market for a long time I am surprised at the prices.  New is not in the picture.  I have a reliable truck that has been modified for our use so as long as i feel comfortable pulling the trailer  I think I will stick with that for a while.  Spent the past couple of days looking at shorter trailers (mine is 32 ft.)  I am liking some of Outdoor RV's offerings.  With what is going on  with fuel prices and the economy I don't think I'll be making a big change right now.

Thanks again for the suggestions.