Catalytic heater venting question

clashfn

Hi all,

I bought an Olympian Wave 3 catalytic heater and I have a question. I'm installing it in the space where my propane heater used to be. It's under the refrigerator and there's a pretty big space behind it (where the old heater was), and there's a vent to the outside back there. If I leave that vent open, does that count as venting the trailer? Can the heater draw oxygen from behind it? Or do I need to have a window open inside the trailer?

I understand why the heater needs a window open, I'm really just curious if it can get what it needs if the vent is behind the heater/wall.

Cheers,
.Matthew 

Good mornin clash, as I'm NOT any HVAC Technician or a Mechanical Engineer I can ONLY offer a laymans opinion so dont take this as any worthwhile advice whatsoever !!!!!!!!!!!!!

1) Ifffffffffff ???? the heater draws its intake combustion air in the rear where it can take it from the vent leading outside THAT FUNCTION/PORTION OF THE PROCESS MAY WORK AND NOT DEPLETE OXYGEN FROM INSIDE THE RV   

2) HOWEVER the products of combustion are still obviously being delivered INSIDE the RV living space

I have over 50 years of RVing used different non vented heaters BUT HERE WAS MY PRACTICE.

I always left a window and/or roof vent cracked open,,,,,,,,,I always used CO detection alarms,,,,,,I always had heaters or other detectors WITH LOW OXYGEN ALERT,,,,,,,,,,,,,I NEVER used them overnight,,,,,,,,,I NEVER used where combustibles were anywhere near especially above the heat 

NOOOOOO to answer your question I dont think what you propose satisfies allllllllll venting requirements, maybe the combustion oxygen but NOT products of combustion !!!!!!!!!!!   

There ya go see what the other fine gents here have to say NON VENTED HEATERS HAVE ASSOCIATED RISKS with combustion oxygen depletion as well as products of combustion BE CAREFUL

John T NOTTTTTTTTTTTTT any expert nooooooooo warranty

A properly operating propane catalytic heater does not give off CO or NOX, but they do consume oxygen and MUST be vented so that you can still breath.  I would not count on that old furnace vent for proper ventilation.  You really need to open a window and roof vent.  You still need to run an operating CO monitor.  It would also be very beneficial to install an oxygen monitor in the RV.

Some of the better catalytic heaters include a low oxygen shut down safety.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Taking out a 25-30k btu furnce, replacing with a 3k btu catalytic. Better not get too cold. To answer your question, no that's not how it works. On top of the oxygen removed from the RV interior, there is some combustion byproducts dumped back inside, like carbon monoxide, unburned propane, and humidity. Anyone who tells you there's no CO coming off a catalytic heater is not your friend.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

4 hours ago, oldjohnt said:

I always left a window and/or roof vent cracked open,,,,,,,,,I always used CO detection alarms,,,,,,I always had heaters or other detectors WITH LOW OXYGEN ALERT,,,,,,,,,,,,,I NEVER used them overnight,,,,,,,,,I NEVER used where combustibles were anywhere near especially above the heat 

We full-timed and used our heater for 16+ years.  We did as listed above.  It's an awesome, safe way to heat with even warmth; not on/off.

Used as directed they are safe otherwise we'd be reading of many accidents.  Go to Quartzsite and you'd find just about everyone uses one.

I can't imagine one being installed correctly under a refrigerator.  We had a licensed propane dealer install ours & it had a long enough hose where we could turn the heater around to aim at different areas.  It ran off our onboard propane tank and they are so much more economical to run than a furnace.  In winters we were in areas where it would get below freezing some nights but warmed up by 9-10 am. (Arizona) so our pipes didn't freeze by not running a regular furnace.  We don't like sleeping in a warm room & never left it on at night.  We turned it on when we woke and it warmed the place in 15 minutes or so.  They are terrific to use if you're a dry camper/boondocker.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

The manual for that heater has the recommended ventilation for RVs with illustrations in the manual. You can read it here free:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/955013/Camco-Olympian-Wave3.html?page=6#manual

The important part is page 6:

5qcagIhl.jpg

Be aware that it like any combustion source, in addition to toxic combustion by-products, gas heaters will produce moisture as well. Without proper ventilation it can damage interior walls and floors. You are on the right track to safe camping finding out first. Also know the symptoms of mild CO poisoning and have a good new CO detector/alarm installed, preferably one that has an LCD screen and keeps a history of CO PPM detected. Catalytic heaters do produce less CO than a Mr. Buddy or other open flame propane heater indoors.

As well be aware of Catalytic mat poisoning and replace the Mat as needed as needed. Page 8 of the manual tells you:

"For continued high efficiency operation, it is
recommended that the catalyst pad be replaced every
seven years,
and sooner if abnormal operation of the

Catalyst pad replacement must be done at
pad is noticed
the factory or by a certified LP Gas technician."

Safe Travels

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

1 hour ago, Randyretired said:

At high altitude those with oxygen sensors will often shut off.  Many have altitude specs that limit the altitude where these van be used. 

We've used ours at Silverton, Colorado which is 9300' EL.

Full-timed for 16 Years

2 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

We've used ours at Silverton, Colorado which is 9300' EL.

Many with oxygen sensors are rated for lower elevations only.  Our blue flame and the brick style heater before that were rated up to 5,000ft and at our property which is around 7,400ft it would only operate for 20 minutes or so then shut down even with 2 windows open. For example this one is rated for 4,500ft. https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Corporation-Vent-Free-Radiant/dp/B01DPZ5B2I/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?crid=2F8ENZ7A35DC0&keywords=blueflame+propane+heaters&qid=1668124140&sprefix=blueflam%2Caps%2C560&sr=8-8

Edited by Randyretired

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

4 minutes ago, Randyretired said:

Many with oxygen sensors are rated for lower elevations only.  Our blue flame and the brick style heater before that were rated up to 5,000ft and at our property which is around 7,400ft it would only operate for 20 minutes or so then shut down even with 2 windows open. For example this one is rated for 4,500ft. https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Corporation-Vent-Free-Radiant/dp/B01DPZ5B2I/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?crid=2F8ENZ7A35DC0&keywords=blueflame+propane+heaters&qid=1668124140&sprefix=blueflam%2Caps%2C560&sr=8-8

Ours was by Empire.  I'm sure there are differences.

Full-timed for 16 Years