In a Casita using the toilet and shower in freezing weather.....

Vladimir

I just winterized my Casita due to forecasted temperatures in the teens.

However, next week I am taking it out for a week long pheasant hunt. 

I really don't know how cold the low temperatures will be next week, but probably in the mid-20's. 

What I am considering doing is using a "solar" shower for taking showers.  Then using a jug of water to flush the toilet. 

I am thinking about using some anti-freeze to pour down the shower and toilet after usuage if it gets real cold. 

After the hunt, I would add  water to both tanks and use the dump station at the end of the hunt.  Then just pour anti-freeze into the two traps.  This would keep me from winterizing the trailer all over again.  I would just need to dump my tanks.

Will that work??  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Nah, that is why I wrote "solar" in quotes. 

It is a handheld "solar" shower, even when I was backpacking I was heating the water on the campfire in a coffee can.

These days, I use the propane stove and a coffee pot.  Going up scale in my old age.

I need some answers about the back end of this, not the front end.

Vladimr Steblina

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Some cheap RV antifreeze cannot be diluted or it doesn't do its job. Buy the -50° type, which can be diluted, or use only cheap RV antifreeze for flushing.

It's entirely doable. Hey It a hunting trip, no time for showers; plenty of time for that back home.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I think one thing to consider is not to let holding tanks get more than maybe 2/3 to 3/4 full. That would allow  for some expansion if they started freezing up. Not sure about supply line.  I knew of one that sat out with the fresh tank about 2/3 full for a bunch of years in some harsh cold and it never leaked. I don't know what was in the black and grey tank but as far as I could tell they never busted,  pretty sure  the supply lines were Pex. The ideal still makes me nervous though.

From personal experience I warn everyone about the big road aligators.😄

Edited by bigjim

Yeah, I am nervous, but it seems that it would work. 

Thanks for the comment about 2/3 full....I had not considered expansion when frozen.

The supply lines are blown and have anti-freeze and will not be used so no issue there.  The drain lines are clear. 

It appears in the Casita both the toilet and shower drain directly into the holding tanks. 

I could be wrong on this.  If anybody knows.....tell me!!!

Ray, In.....early in my professional career I went 23 days without a shower.  After that, I needed a shower every night just to sleep. 

I even bought a Coleman tent trailer because it had a shower....the salesman asked don't you want the model with a toilet as well as a shower???

I told him, I know how to drape my butt over a log, but I definitely have a hard time taking a hot shower in the woods.

Edited by Vladimir

Vladimr Steblina

usbackroads.blogspot.com

11 hours ago, Vladimir said:

Thanks for the comment about 2/3 full....I had not considered expansion when frozen.

I would also pour a gallon of RV antifreeze into each tank before anything else to get the antifreeze into the drain lines as it should remain fairly undilouted in the pipes that way. As long as low temperatures are in the 20's the day should warm well above freezing as a rise of 20° is pretty typical.

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

15 hours ago, Vladimir said:

Yeah, I am nervous, but it seems that it would work. 

The supply lines are blown and have anti-freeze and will not be used so no issue there.  The drain lines are clear. 

It appears in the Casita both the toilet and shower drain directly into the holding tanks. 

I could be wrong on this.  If anybody knows.....tell me!!!

Ray, In.....early in my professional career I went 23 days without a shower.  After that, I needed a shower every night just to sleep. 

I even bought a Coleman tent trailer because it had a shower....the salesman asked don't you want the model with a toilet as well as a shower???

I told him, I know how to drape my butt over a log, but I definitely have a hard time taking a hot shower in the woods.

I guess I still have my army mindset about showering necessity when water is scarce. My wife did buy a couple packages of "water-less" washcloths for those seldom dry camping periods.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

One thought I have is the waste valves and pipes freezing. They are a solid shape. 

Park with the sun on those pipes.

I am thinking your idea of pouring antifreeze in the system should work for 20 degrees nights. Are the tanks exposed, or are they covered.

If it is going to be windy, then maybe throw something over the drains to keep windchill controlled.

Then just dump them when on your way home.

When we winter camped for a weekend, we just kept a jug of RV antifreeze next to the toilet to use that to flush with when necessary. We didn't take showers because it was only a weekend, but I would just bring wipes now and use those if we had to. Do watch that your drain valves don't freeze up. You may need to use a hair dryer to defrost them. 

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

2 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

One thought I have is the waste valves and pipes freezing. They are a solid shape. 

Park with the sun on those pipes.

I am thinking your idea of pouring antifreeze in the system should work for 20 degrees nights. Are the tanks exposed, or are they covered...................................

Good point. 

The tanks are fine, but the pipes are totally exposed!!

Forgot about the waste pipes filling up and freezing.   That makes the suggestion of pouring a gallon of antifreeze into the black tank and gray tank very important.

1 hour ago, Star Dreamer said:

..................Do watch that your drain valves don't freeze up. You may need to use a hair dryer to defrost them. 

Guess I will use the generator to run the hair dryer to defrost the pipes!!!

Hmm, this got a little more complicated

Edited by Vladimir

Vladimr Steblina

usbackroads.blogspot.com

14 hours ago, sandsys said:

Line the toilet with a trash bag and throw it away after use. No water needed. If that worries you a bit, Amazon sells Toilet Bags for just this purpose.

Linda

There are bags made that "neutralize" everything and are actually made for disposal in regular garbage.  I think I will line the toilet with those and then throw them away.

https://www.rei.com/product/823665/reliance-double-doodie-waste-bags-with-bio-gel?CAWELAID=120217890000757498&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=100913262957&CATCI=pla-432048331126&cm_mmc=PLA_Google|21700000001700551_8236650001|92700053582162093|TOF|71700000066692708&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjsjqzouV-wIVWxqtBh068g74EAQYASABEgKHN_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Great idea, thanks.

The forecast for next week is 14 degrees.  The hunting should be better, but oh that camping will be interesting.

Edited by Vladimir

Vladimr Steblina

usbackroads.blogspot.com

I am really late to my thinking.

We have a portapoty that we keep in our HDT truck or in our van when out camping in it. Pure rv antifreeze only. Then dump, clean add more rv antifreeze    Now on the shower thought, use a large (20gallon) tube to stand in for showering.

Dump water outside