Solar Panel Fire

oldjohnt

Hey Glenn and others, speaking of solar panels and mounting, these flexible flat glued down on roof units (for whatever reason???) caught on fire YIKES

I chose traditional rigid mounted 1.5 inches ABOVE the roof for air circulation and cooling underneath. I think that has advantages including increased solar energy harvest by operating cooler but I have no data to confirm that.   

John T

We've never recomended flexible panels. The price per watt was the biggest reason, but the lifespan of the installed panels quickly became the main reason. Their first set lasted a year, so let's replace them with the same. SMH.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Wow! That video was eye opening in both the roof protection and the flimsiness of flexible panels. Thanks for the post. You may have saved some folks a lot of money and trouble.🙂

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I never recommend flexible panels either.  There are some very specific installations where they would be your only choice, but generally they area bad idea.  This is just one example of why they are a bad idea.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Iffff you can believe what they said the panel manufacturer told them as to the cause of the fire????????? I still feel safer with an air and cooling gap between panel and RV roof (mine is 1.5") PLUS I believe the efficiency improves if the panels run cooler........Im stickin with what I have now on my 4 panels but hey its anyones choice...

John T

6 hours ago, oldjohnt said:

Iffff you can believe what they said the panel manufacturer told them as to the cause of the fire????????? I still feel safer with an air and cooling gap between panel and RV roof (mine is 1.5") PLUS I believe the efficiency improves if the panels run cooler........Im stickin with what I have now on my 4 panels but hey its anyones choice...

John T

As you may already know most panels have the numbers  on them to calculate the voltage at a given temperature.  Most panels start at around 75C and add or subtract voltage by whatever the temperature diffence is. The cooler the panel runs the higher the voltage.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift