Salt Lake to Mobile, Alabama

trimster

We are headed to mobile, Alabama in a few weeks to support a family member who will be recovering from heart surgery. Need suggestions/ insight on best route, where to do overnight stops, etc. This is a turn & burn trip with 7 hr drive days.

Thinking stops in Farmington,  NM,  Amarillo,  then Dallas   then Jackson, ms., then mobile,  Alabama area.

I see toll roads outside Dallas.  Not sure what the fees are. We're a semi pulling a 5er. I'm going to guess expensive. Maybe worth it saving more than an hour?

Thoughts on this trip mucho appreciated. 

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

I would be tempted to avoid all the metro-plex (DFW) Even though  a lot of it is two lane HWy 82 North of that area and picked up just a little southeast of Wichita Falls.works good and maybe cut south on 259 or somewhere east of Sherman.  Or I40 to OKC or some where in OK and cut south. I know my way around the  metro-plex fairly well and that helps but I would still rather avoid it.

My experience with toll roads is that they're usually better condition than average, and the fees offset the added distance/fuel to by-pass them.  Of course you're preferred route may change that.

Last time we went around the Dallas area, we went on a Sunday morning and took I-20 on the south side.  It was pretty ugly, with very aggressive drivers cutting us off.

We just travelled I-40 from Nashville to Albuquerque last month, and it was a breeze.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I have traveled through & about the Dallas/Ft Worth metropolation area for years and have lived in the southeastern part of the are for the past 3 1/2 years. I have driven our class A through the area when we had it and more recently my truck and travel trailer. As I look at your prefered route, I am quite sure that even though all 3 versions on Google Maps list the same 28 hours drive time, my experience says that the route that you list will be the shortest travel time. If you are planning to take US287 to I35W, to I820, to TX183 to I35E, to US80, to I20 and east, the only toll roads that you should see there would be the HOV or express lanes in the Dallas area and if you do not take those lanes there would be no tolls. If the traffic is at all heavy the express lanes are worth the tolls as those avoid the majority of the slow areas but I would not time to pass that way on a work day between 7 am to 9 am or 4 pm to 7 pm. There is always significant traffic in a city area this large but rush hours I would avoid. 

If you will be reaching the D/FW area at any part of the peak traffic periods, I would either stop in Decature TX and wait for a slowere period or I would leave US287 and take US380 east to Greenville, then take US69 to I30 via the town of Lindale. (We lived near Lindale before moving to Mesquite).

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Just now, Trainer said:

Instead of stopping Amarillo, stop just north in Dumas at City Park.  50 amp hook up on big parking lot FREE for one night.

Just west of US 287 on US 87

Nice. Will check into that.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Farmington's San Juan County fairgrounds has a LOT of sites with water and electric (50/30 amp) at $30 a night.  Quiet and right off (alongside) US 64.  

https://campgrounds.rvlife.com/regions/new-mexico/farmington/san-juan-county-fairgrounds-mcgee-park-12094

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

May not be on your preferred route but Tatum, NM and Denver City, TX have free campgrounds. Or at least they did a few years ago. And second Dumas, TX for a free campground.

We always stay north of Dallas through Gainseville and Paris, TX. Good roads with some 2 lane sections. In Nocona there is a nice campground behind the Veranda Inn with pullthroughs. In Parix there are sites at the Eiffel Tower.

Back on the road again in a 2011 Roadtrek 210P

2011 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Lexus GX470, 2018 Ranger XP1000, 2013 RZR 570LE
http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/

458863254_cabinavatarcopy.jpg.7751792e372f5959d079d77730f9290d.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I actually need to go in the opposite direction in the middle of Dec.  Leaving Gulf State Campground on my way to the Dallas area for the holidays.  My biggest concern is I10.  I have heard such horror stories about that road.  RV Trip Wizard takes us on I10 from Mobile to I49.  Is it worth the extra hour of travel to go north to US84 or just deal with I10.  Would rather not replace the suspension on my rig if I can help it.

Travel More... Money returns, Time doesn't

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMDMIMNMONENV

After looking at the map, and much thought, I decided to go north to I20 and west.  I prefer state highways to Interstates when I can and this will eliminate any I10 issues.  I found the Chennault Aviation Museum (Harvest Host) in Monroe, LA that will work as an overnight stop.

Travel More... Money returns, Time doesn't

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMDMIMNMONENV

So, on the road now.

Salt lake to Farmington was a haul. More than we like to do in a day. Friday. No traffic after Turkeyday.

Stayed in the Farmington fair grounds. Wow. 575 sites and we were the only ones there. Talk about quiet. There were 2 rodeo events that evening and we heard non of it. For $30 (power and water and a dump station), not bad. Water was off. 19 degrees outside. Ya, nippy.

Took 550 down to 24 south, then to 40 and landed in Tucumari, NM. Blaze-n-saddle RV park. Super nice people. Great, level sites. Clean power and way to much water pressure. WiFi is outstanding. People are great. Long sites for our rigs.

Tomorrow we head to Amarillo and are taking the north loop around the city. Fuel is relatively cheap there, so topping off.

We then will take off 40 and head south-east on 287 to a Harvest Host Winery (Horseshoe Bend Cellars Vineyard & Winery, Peterson Road South, Iowa Park, TX) west of Witchita, falls, Tx. for a night.

Then we'll jog down to 20 and spend 2 days in the Shreveport area. Need some fishing time and a break for the windshield.

It's only 3 hrs to Foley, Alabama from there... our destination.

So far traffic has been light, even on 40. Weather good. Maybe rain tomorrow . But I think tomorrow being Sunday after Thanksgiving, it might be a bit heavy. Want to get past Amarillo before 2 pm.

That's the latest.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Bob, Don's correct.  I-40 through Amarillo is short and easy.  However, if you're planning to top off with fuel, it will likely be cheaper away from the major highway.  In any case, the loop around Amarillo isn't much of a detour.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Thinking that this being the 'travel day' after thanksgiving weekend, 40 might be a bit crowded. We have a hundred miles to there to get a sense of the traffic. We'll be through there around noon'ish, so maybe the traffic will build later in the day... when we have Amarillo in the rear view mirrors.

Gas Buddy has lower prices listed on the way into Amarillo, so we'll check those out. Have this need to run a few consecutive passes on a few cards this morning. Just sayin'.

Overcast right now and the clouds are building to the east. Might get a power wash despite the weather reports.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

1 hour ago, trimster said:

Overcast right now and the clouds are building to the east.

Here in the Dallas area it is clear and sunny with a current temperature of 55° and a high near 60° expected.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI