Three way hot water heater?

2000 Suncruser, my question is the electic side of my hot water heater has quit. Is there only an element to change or is there a thermostat to consider? I know the element is in the back of the unit but wonder if there is a thermostat. The gas thermostat seems to work ok....?

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

26 minutes ago, homelesshartshorns said:

2000 Suncruser, my question is the electic side of my hot water heater has quit. Is there only an element to change or is there a thermostat to consider? I know the element is in the back of the unit but wonder if there is a thermostat. The gas thermostat seems to work ok....?

Depends on the make and model of the water heater.  In 2000, most water heaters used separate gas and electric thermostats.  But there are some (mostly newer units) that use the same thermostat for both gas and electric operation.

In either case, you should be able to measure the voltage on the heating element to see if the thermostat is calling for heat.  If there's 120 volts across the heating element's terminals the next step is to shut off the power, disconnect the wires going to the heating element and test the element itself. 

You should see around 10 - 20 ohms across the terminals.  If there's very high resistance or no continuity the element has burned out.

Edited by Lou Schneider

1 hour ago, Lou Schneider said:

Depends on the make and model of the water heater.  In 2000, most water heaters used separate gas and electric thermostats.  But there are some (mostly newer units) that use the same thermostat for both gas and electric operation.

In either case, you should be able to measure the voltage on the heating element to see if the thermostat is calling for heat.  If there's 120 volts across the heating element's terminals the next step is to shut off the power, disconnect the wires going to the heating element and test the element itself. 

You should see around 10 - 20 ohms across the terminals.  If there's very high resistance or no continuity the element has burned out.

Thanks for the advice....

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

6 hours ago, dartmouth01 said:

Could also be the wiring, I once found the twist on connection between the RV and the water heater was charred from a poor connection, ultimately severing the connection itself.  Reconnected it and all was good again.

I think your right on! I wiggled the wires around under the pannel and got some warm water. I think I will make a project out of this tomorrow and lub each connection I can see. 

13 hours ago, homelesshartshorns said:

Ok so just wiggling makes it happen....

If the connections is of the spade type you can tighten them with a pair of pliers.

Baomain Female Quick disconnects Vinyl Insulated Spade Wire Connector Electrical Crimp Terminal 22-16 AWG 6.3mm 1/4" Red Pack

If you are dealing with connections to a circuit board, just work them on and off several times, use contact cleaner on them or you can even use a typing eraser if you have one. Don't forget to remove all power before you work with them.

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If there is wiring on the rear of the hot water heater then it is most likely a Dometic unit.

If the front of it has a PCB that has two plug connections on it, then the front thermostat controls both gas and electric heating element.

How do you turn the electric heating element on. If it is a small 12vdc wall switch, then the wiring to that switch could be the problem. The 12vdc switch controls a relay that operates the 110 vac. Then it goes through its own thermostat controls on the rear of the heater . That area on the rear of the heater that has the wiring is a pain to work on.

Most of the time the wire nut has a connection problem as the water heater most likely has stranded wire. The power feed wire will be solid wire. Putting those wires together with a wire nut does not work the best.