Help with the proper documents and driver license class.

Good morning:

I need some information of acquiring the proper drive license for myself and wife to operate a HTD with a Spacecraft semi trailer chase 50’ 5th wheel.

We live in Texas and want to split our RVing 50% on the road and 50% at a brick and mortar property. I have a class C driver License What class license is required?

We are going to purchase a vacant property.  Improve it with utilities, and use the SpaceCraft when no on the road as our home.   I have a Cedar Creek 32, 5th wheel that is quite old 2004 vintage and have put many miles on it.  My wife (remarried) has never traveled in a RV in fact she has never traveled the country.  It is time to begin our adventure. 

Please help me with the required documentation and through the process.

In Texas, you will need a Class A license.  This si sometime referred to as a non-commerical class A or or a class A Exampt.  RV's do not fall under the requirements for a commerical license unless it is used in a commerical enterprise.  The trigger point is your GCW is in excess of 26,000 LB and you are towing over 10,000 LB.  If you are towing less than 10,000 LB and are over 26,000 LB GCW you need a class B.

There are online study guides and you will take a test over a few chapters from the Commerical Drivers Handbook.  Once you pass the written test (really pretty simple), you schedula a driving test with a rig that will meet the weight class or your rig.  

For ease of testing and people that understand what you need for a class A license, I recommend that you schedule at least the driving portion in Livingston, TX.

Texas RV drivers license

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

4 hours ago, John and Ruthie Badera said:

We are going to purchase a vacant property.  Improve it with utilities, and use the SpaceCraft when no on the road as our home.  

You will also need an address that can get mail and forward it when traveling. Like you, we were already TX residents before we went on the road which means that you can make the needed changes to your registrations and insurance with just an address change, once you have a usable address. If you have not done so, I recommend that you join the Escapees RV club because they have the very best support system for RV folks that exists and pretty much everything is available and also the very best advice from those who do what you wish to do. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI