Grades on US160 through Colorado

Arnwrkr

After camphosting in South Texas for the winter we will head to a family reunion boondocking at Coconino Rim Road in Kaibab Nat Forest.  We spent a few days there in April and really loved the free camping at the Grand Canyon.   We will be leaving Kaibab around May 5 to visit friends in Divide, Co and I am wondering about the best route to take.  RVTripwizard is routing us on US160 through Pagosa Springs. I know the weather can be iffy, but we will deal with at the time. But how are the grades?  We have a 6.2L F250 and are now pulling a Forest River Impression 270RK.  My only defense for having a gasser is my wife insisted on a gas truck as she hates the smell of diesel.  I tried, really I did.  We got a great deal on the truck in 2021 so there is that too.  I appreciate any advise besides trading in the wife.

Travel More... Money returns, Time doesn't

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMDMIMNMONENV

1 hour ago, Arnwrkr said:

routing us on US160 through Pagosa Springs. 

Can't advise on trading in the wife (still training mine almost 50 years now), but a very pertinent question... Does your route take you over Wolf Creek Pass on 160 East of Pagosa Springs?   Very significant grade in that stretch between Pagosa Springs and Wolf Creek Pass.

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

My only defense for having a gasser is my wife insisted on a gas truck as she hates the smell of diesel. 

I do understand that as I ran into the same problem. On the route, as long as you travel with dry roads you will be slow going up but should do OK. Weather will be your main issue. Wolf Creek Pass experiences snowfall 10 months out of the year, averaging more than 430 inches of snowfall annually. The snowiest months are December, January, and March when over 70 inches of snow falls each month. You will be going up the most steep part but even the east slope has some steep areas so drive carefully. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I would not expect any issues with your truck's ability to climb any existing road grade towing your trailer. Just don't try to be the first one to the top, run your engine where it's comfortable.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

You won't have a problem but climbing may be slow-going.  Just take it easy as I'm sure you will.  Allow time to stay in Pagosa Springs if bad weather.  The soaking springs are awesome!  They overlook the river and small town. We spend a half day there just moving from one temperature pool to another.  Pack a cooler for snacks/drinks.  Very relaxing!   We've driven it a few times but one is memorable.  We came from South Fork to Pagosa  (westbound) in heavy rain on a Sunday.  The road was down to gravel as re-pavement had been in process the past days.  We didn't realize how bad it would be until there was no place to safely get off.  When we arrived in Pagosa the campground manager was shocked we drove it.

Back to your trip.... Eastbound you'll have an immediate climb out of Pagosa. The descent from the summit in 6% for 8 miles. Most is 3-lane road. Then it alternates between 2-lane and 3-lane.  30 mph & curves.  After the 8 miles there are 2 miles of lesser grade until it levels out.  (From the Mountain Directory for Trucker & RVers - highly recommended for Western states.)

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

22 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Listen to the lyrics: 

I loved the video and have traveled Wolf Creek Pass in my motorhome.  It isn't a whole lot different that most Colorado passes.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

Thanks so much for the info, advise and encouragement.  I have learned so much from this forum.  It's so valuable to those of us who are new to RV's to have knowledgable, experienced people to call on for advise.  Not that we are total newbies.  We attended the Escapees Bootcamp in 2019, bought our first rig (with advise from here) in 2021 and went full time in Feb of '22.  We are now looking at camphosting winters in the South and summers in the North with travel in between.  We have actually pulled our Imagine 22MLE to Divide from Texas but the 270RK is a lot heavier. 

Edited by Arnwrkr

24 minutes ago, Arnwrkr said:

We are now looking at camphosting winters in the South and summers in the North with travel in between.

We did that for most or our 12 years fulltime and even a few times since. We found that we preferred the RV volunteer lifestyle over just constant travel. We would look for a volunteer opportunity in some area that we had never been to and then contact the places that had volunteer positions. We chose our locations by where they were and what sort of things they needed a volunteer to do. You may want to look over our story on the website as it tells most of it, although I haven't updated it in quite some time. 

On 10/13/2022 at 11:26 AM, Arnwrkr said:

... My only defense for having a gasser is my wife insisted on a gas truck as she hates the smell of diesel...

You did tell her that with the emission systems, diesel trucks don't have that characteristic smell any more, didn't you?

I have found The Mountain Directory to be extremely useful - not just out west, but places in the east, too. I would recommend purchasing and downloading a digital copy (several formats and platforms). I never plan a trip without it:

https://mountaindirectory.com/

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Thanks Kirk.  That is exactly my dream.  I'm sure you have heard this before, but we started by staying in private campgrounds (KOA etc) and found that even with the amenities we not like the life of a sardine.  And of course the cost of campgrounds these days is ridiculous.  I've used volunteer.gov that I found on this forum as well as state parks volunteer sites.  I tried Workamper.com, but had more luck on my own.  I'm proud to say I have secured positions at Goliad State Park in Texas for this winter and Voyageurs National Park in Minn for next summer.  I've checked out your website and am enjoying your stories.

5 hours ago, Arnwrkr said:

Thanks Kirk.  That is exactly my dream.  I'm sure you have heard this before, but we started by staying in private campgrounds (KOA etc) and found that even with the amenities we not like the life of a sardine.  And of course the cost of campgrounds these days is ridiculous.  I've used volunteer.gov that I found on this forum as well as state parks volunteer sites.  I tried Workamper.com, but had more luck on my own.  I'm proud to say I have secured positions at Goliad State Park in Texas for this winter and Voyageurs National Park in Minn for next summer.  I've checked out your website and am enjoying your stories.

You're definitely on the right track.  We also volunteered at state and national parks during our 16 years.  We like giving back to types of places we enjoy.  We also gave lighthouse tours and fish hatcheries. There's lots of variation in our public parks. They just don't have the funds to do many things themselves and they really rely on volunteers.  We found the best way to secure gigs was to show up in person and ask.  Enjoy your new lifestyle!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I cannot say enough good things about the Mountain Directory for Truckers, RV and Motorhome Drivers. I use it every time I plan a route anywhere near high country. I have it loaded on my iPhone so it is available without cell service. At $17 for the west, $15 for the east, or $25 for combined it is worth every penny. It is available for iphone, laptop, android or in paper.

My Mountain Directory for US-160 in CO has the following entries.

The road descends at about 6% for 4-5 miles as you enter Durango from the west. There are shorter 6% hills west of that that are eastbound climbs.

US-160 between South Fork and Pagosa Springs.

Before beginning the climb on either side of Wolf Creek Pass there will be signs advising if chains or snow tires are required. The eastbound descent from Wolf Creek Pass begins with the warning sign "6% grade next 8 miles." Most of this is three lane road. Farther down the mountain the road alternates between two lanes and three. Vehicles over 55,000 lbs. 25 mph speed limit.

The descent begins with a 6% grade and 30 mph curves. About two miles down from the summit there is a short tunnel with a 30 mph curve. The grade continues as promised for about 8 miles at 6% from the summit but there are about two more miles of 5% before the grade eases enough to call it the end of the pass. There are 30 mph and 40 mph curves throughout the descent.

The climb from the west  is 7% for about nine miles.

La Veta Pass (also called North La Veta Pass) on US-160 between Ft. Garland and Walsenburg.

The climb from the west is mostly 3% and 4% grades for 7 or 8 miles with a couple of short sections of 5%-6% near the top.

The eastbound descent from the summit begins with a sign that says "6% grade next 4 miles." The grade is fairly steady 6% for 4 miles followed by 1/2 miles of 3% and then another mile of 6% and then several more miles of 3%.

Edited by Jinx & Wayne
left out a word

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

On 10/15/2022 at 8:32 AM, Arnwrkr said:

I'm proud to say I have secured positions at Goliad State Park in Texas for this winter 

We too have been volunteering FT for the last 10 years and are now getting off the road (mostly due to grandchild). We volunteered at Goliad SP 4 years ago and really enjoyed that experience. If you have bikes, it is a nice ride into town, the March wildflower bloom can be spectacular and don't miss the Goliad massacre event put on by the SP park in late March. You can even volunteer and be part of the event. We did maintenance there and they were always looking for tour guides for the fort and out buildings. The only bad part was the closing of the gates at 10 PM which can be a PITA due to lateness and dark. We also did bathroom checks which was OK for us. They did supply a pickup truck to drive in the park.

9 hours ago, gjhunter01 said:

We volunteered at Goliad SP 4 years ago and really enjoyed that experience.

We visited Goliad SP several times and one should make sure to visit the Presidio La Bahía as well because it is very closeby and is a key part of the story. Goliad has quite a number of historic sites that are worth your time to visit.

14 hours ago, Kirk W said:

We visited Goliad SP several times and one should make sure to visit the Presidio La Bahía as well because it is very closeby and is a key part of the story. Goliad has quite a number of historic sites that are worth your time to visit.

There was a long term RV volunteer couple there (Ginny and Ernest) whom had done extensive research on the Presidio La Bahia. If they are still active and available there, they can give you a personal tour which was usually not open to the public.

Thanks to everyone for your input.  We are so excited about volunteering and Goliad sounds like the perfect place to start.  I have signed up to be an "Interpretative Host" at both parks, which really sounds like fun.

As far at driving in the mountains I am definitely getting the mountain directory.  Sounds like our F250 will be up to the task with a little "HeeYaw, Git Up" from me.

Thanks again and safe travels to all.

I have signed up to be an "Interpretative Host" at both parks, which really sounds like fun.

That is my favorite volunteer position also. If you like history and sharing it with others you will quickly become adicted. I have done interp for both historic sites and also naturalist positions. My two favorite positions were in Washington on the Brazos SP in TX and at Everglades NP alligator area, out of some 38 different volunteer positions.