Alaska in 2024? Maybe

kb0zke

We're starting to kick around the idea of visiting Alaska in 2024. We're currently in a 1993 40' Foretravel, but that will change by then. 

The traditional way, of course, is to fly to Alaska and rent a vehicle there to drive around. Another traditional way is to take a cruise. Last weekend we hosted some friends who just returned from serving the past seven years in Alaska, and they pulled a 29' TT up and back. We're thinking about that approach.

Some people have suggested that we get a used Class C, use it for the trip, then sell it. That's certainly one possibility, and I've asked on the Class C section about recommendations for high quality Class C brands. Someone suggested we get a small TT. Our current car can't tow much (2000 pounds), so we'd need to trade it for something else.

Years ago the Airstream people used to do big caravans to all sorts of places, including Alaska, but I haven't heard much about that in recent years. Are there still groups that do such?

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

There's many caravan groups passing through our park every summer. Some are brand specific, like Airstream and Newmar, some are personality focused, like naturists (not at our park, please), and many are wide open to anyone willing to pay. As far as buying a disposable RV, just for the trip, I always thought that was a waste of time, but I don't enjoy shopping that much.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

The best way to do the Alaska trip is by using your own RV.  The journey is part of the overall experience.  Canada and the Yukon are every bit as beautiful and in some places - even more so.  Taking a cruise or flying robs you of the experience.  Go at your own pace. It's an easy trip - just long.  Plan on leaving around the end of May and begin your return the end of August.  Don't make a ton of reservations.  Conditions change as you travel.  Pull in before 3pm and you'll get a site.  Otherwise, there are beautiful boondocking spots along the route. 

With our 40' MH and Jeep the only reservations we made for the whole trip was for the July 4 weekend - Alaskans like camping, also, and for 5 nights in Denali's Teklanika campground - the farthest in the park you can drive.  As it turned out we were early for Teklanika so on a whim we boondocked nearby and drove into the park early morning.  We easily secured and additional 5 nights in the front campground, Riley Creek.  10 nights in the park and we saw 'The' mountain 7 of 10 days and every one of the big animals... many times.  Take the TEK bus pass and you can use it daily for as many times as you want.  We sometimes went out for a couple hours; got off the bus and walked along the roadside and picked up the next bus coming by.  You'll never experience anything like the silence and awe when the bus pulls away and you're the only one out there.

You don't need a tour.  Everyone goes to the same places.  We mingled with the locals and experienced going to someone's home high above Homer to have lunch and tour her beautiful flower gardens.  We met her on the street admiring the town's hanging baskets.  Another time we were asking a local about the dog sled races.  He invited us to his home. He raised sled dogs and gave us an indepth tour and a sled ride.

All you need for the trip is the Milepost for maps and history and Mike & Terry Church's book, 'Alaskan Camping' which includes northern U.S., Canada and the Yukon.  It has RV parks, public campgrounds and boondocking spots.  We took turns driving daily so the other could enjoy the scenery and the Milepost was always on our lap to refer to as we drove.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

10 hours ago, kb0zke said:

Years ago the Airstream people used to do big caravans to all sorts of places, including Alaska, but I haven't heard much about that in recent years. Are there still groups that do such?

Airstream Club still has caravans but are exclusive to their owners but there are others if that is what you really want. We have known many RVers who just put together one or two frinds for the trip with a lot less expense and yet still have someone to travel with. If you really want to do this with an organized group you can do a Google search and you get several commercial organizations that do trips each summer. The Escapee HOP (head out program) have Alaska trips every year. We have known several Escapees who have just put together a group of 2 to 4 others to travel to Alaska, the separate for the next month or two and then on a specified date they meet again for the trip back south. That is what I would consider the best choice of all as it allows you to travel with some people you know both directions and yet not be confinced at all while there and also avoid the cost of organized trips. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

10 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

The best way to do the Alaska trip is by using your own RV.  

Exactly what 2gypsies said!

The only thing I would add is, don't try to treat the Alaskan Highway as an Interstate where you can travel 60 mph or more!  While it's a good two-lane road, there will be areas where you'll run into road repair and/or frost heaves, requiring you to go slow.  

Personally, I wouldn't bother with buying an RV just to make the trip.  There are all types of RVs making the trip, from truck campers to large Class A's.  Just take your time, drive for the conditions, and enjoy your trip!

Edited by LindaH

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I second what LindaH and 2gypsies posted. Taking your time is a big priority. We did it in 2014 with our dually crew cab and 40' fiver. Unfortunately, that summer, the weather sucked. Another thing I highly recommend is traveling by yourselves. Traveling with another couple or couples, someone always gets screwed. Just my opinion.   

22 minutes ago, bobsallyh said:

I second what LindaH and 2gypsies posted. Taking your time is a big priority. We did it in 2014 with our dually crew cab and 40' fiver. Unfortunately, that summer, the weather sucked. Another thing I highly recommend is traveling by yourselves. Traveling with another couple or couples, someone always gets screwed. Just my opinion.   

I have not done the trip but my favorite of the groups I have read about was Dennis Hill's Loosey Goosey group. Those who wanted to get up early and head out did so. Those who wanted to sleep in before heading out did so. Those who wanted to shop along the way did so. Everyone just met up at predetermined places along the way to check in with one another and share stories. That's my kind of group.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

3 hours ago, sandsys said:

I have not done the trip but my favorite of the groups I have read about was Dennis Hill's Loosey Goosey group. Those who wanted to get up early and head out did so. Those who wanted to sleep in before heading out did so. Those who wanted to shop along the way did so. Everyone just met up at predetermined places along the way to check in with one another and share stories. That's my kind of group.

Linda Sand

Yes, some might like that but for us, it's too structured due to the fact you have a pre-planned stopping point which would mean preset amount of miles to drive.  Sometimes we drove 50 miles or so and stopped because something interested us and we wanted to explore more.  When ready to stop there were always options... rv park, public campground, boondocking.  Much easier if you don't need electric all the time.  Everyone is different... and that's OK.

Full-timed for 16 Years

We're still very much in the research stage. Our Foretravel is a 1993, so it will be 30 years old next year. We're wanting to get something newer anyway, so we're wondering about whether we should drive or cruise. Looks like railroad is not available, and I'd rather not fly if I'm not in the left front seat.

We have several RV ideas to consider, and tomorrow we'll be able to spend an hour or so at a large dealership just browsing to get ideas. While we really like our MKT, it can't tow much (2000 pounds), so if we decided on a towable we would have to get another vehicle. I've gotten some suggestions for Class Cs to look at. It sounds like they burn only about half the fuel as our Foretravel, so travel costs would be less. Now that we have our lot at The Ranch and I'm not doing Habitat or Laborers I don't need to carry as many tools. We could probably fit nicely into a ~30' Born Free or similar.

We haven't even decided for sure that we're going, but if we don't research first we won't go. As for what we want to see and do there, the only thing for sure is to visit the State capitol, as we're trying to visit all 50.

I like the idea of traveling with a small group for at least parts of the trip. More research is needed.

David Lininger, kb0zke

52 minutes ago, kb0zke said:

I like the idea of traveling with a small group for at least parts of the trip. More research is needed.

Ad hoc groups form and dissolve all along the road, as well as a steady stream of traffic on most of the roads, most days. More remote stretches may only see a vehicle every 12 hours, but almost certainly you'll be seen. There are alson several devices for maintaining contact with the outside world, such as Garmin Spot, and satelite phones by the dozens.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

2 hours ago, kb0zke said:

We haven't even decided for sure that we're going, but if we don't research first we won't go. As for what we want to see and do there, the only thing for sure is to visit the State capitol, as we're trying to visit all 50.

You better look into a cruise then.  You can't drive to Alaska's capitol in Juneau!

Full-timed for 16 Years

10 hours ago, kb0zke said:

I think that you need to research the states and the roads to get places as Alaska has vast areas that have no roads and several popular places to visit that have no roads to them. I would suggest that you start by opening Google Maps to Fairbanks and then start plugging in the different places that you have in mind.To visit Juneau with an RV you must take a ferry to get there. Alaska does have an extensive ferry system if you plan to use it. Check out the Alaska Marine Highway system.

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

9 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

You better look into a cruise then.  You can't drive to Alaska's capitol in Juneau!

But there is a fast ferry that goes from Haines to Juneau (and perhaps from other places).  The one we took was a day trip for people only (no vehicles).  You might be able to take one down to Juneau, spend the night, and take one back the next day.  It would, of course, mean booking a motel/hotel/BNB for the night.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

On 10/10/2022 at 11:54 PM, 2gypsies said:

The best way to do the Alaska trip is by using your own RV.  The journey is part of the overall experience.  Canada and the Yukon are every bit as beautiful and in some places - even more so.  Taking a cruise or flying robs you of the experience.  Go at your own pace. It's an easy trip - just long.  Plan on leaving around the end of May and begin your return the end of August.  Don't make a ton of reservations.  Conditions change as you travel.  Pull in before 3pm and you'll get a site.  Otherwise, there are beautiful boondocking spots along the route. 

With our 40' MH and Jeep the only reservations we made for the whole trip was for the July 4 weekend - Alaskans like camping, also, and for 5 nights in Denali's Teklanika campground - the farthest in the park you can drive.  As it turned out we were early for Teklanika so on a whim we boondocked nearby and drove into the park early morning.  We easily secured and additional 5 nights in the front campground, Riley Creek.  10 nights in the park and we saw 'The' mountain 7 of 10 days and every one of the big animals... many times.  Take the TEK bus pass and you can use it daily for as many times as you want.  We sometimes went out for a couple hours; got off the bus and walked along the roadside and picked up the next bus coming by.  You'll never experience anything like the silence and awe when the bus pulls away and you're the only one out there.

You don't need a tour.  Everyone goes to the same places.  We mingled with the locals and experienced going to someone's home high above Homer to have lunch and tour her beautiful flower gardens.  We met her on the street admiring the town's hanging baskets.  Another time we were asking a local about the dog sled races.  He invited us to his home. He raised sled dogs and gave us an indepth tour and a sled ride.

All you need for the trip is the Milepost for maps and history and Mike & Terry Church's book, 'Alaskan Camping' which includes northern U.S., Canada and the Yukon.  It has RV parks, public campgrounds and boondocking spots.  We took turns driving daily so the other could enjoy the scenery and the Milepost was always on our lap to refer to as we drove.

That bears repeating, so here it is again!

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We had to take the car into St. Peters for service, so we took the opportunity to visit two RV dealerships just to see what was available. LOTS of new rigs of every description, but few used ones. One idea we had was a small camper that our MKT could tow. Unfortunately, it is limited to a maximum of 2000 pounds, which doesn't get much at all in the way of a trailer. We found a few that have an empty weight that is low enough, and a couple that have a GVWR of 2500 pounds. None of those have any sort of bathroom facilities and all have outdoor kitchens. Probably not a good idea for a 2-3 month trip.

If we trade the car for an SUV or truck there are LOTS of possibilities. We even saw a pickup camper that Jo Ann was fairly happy with!

There weren't many Class C rigs, which is what several people have suggested to us. We looked at a couple of gas Class A rigs.

Most likely whatever we buy will be our full-time coach for a year or so (at least). That probably eliminates the pickup camper and smaller trailers (Casita, Scamp, etc.).

I'd love to hear from those of you who have actually made this trip. If you don't want to post to this thread you can email me directly. My edress is this user name at protonmail.com

David Lininger, kb0zke

We made the trip in 2006 with our 40' diesel motorhome, the same one we have now, and our tow car.  We were on our own but did run into people we knew, including a couple that are on this forum.  We had no problems on the trip and expected to make the trip again, but family matters interfered.  We have many friends who have taken the trip multiple times and had no problems.   Dennis Hill, who was mentioned before, did it with a 43' Newmar Dutchstar more than once.  We are trying to figure out when we can make the trip again.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

12 hours ago, kb0zke said:

I'd love to hear from those of you who have actually made this trip.

I replied, above.

We've made two trips to Alaska -- the first one in 1998 in a truck camper and again in 2001 with our 32' fifth wheel pulled by an MDT.  Both were great trips.  In 2001, we spent the entire summer on the trip -- crossed the border into Canada in late May, reentered the lower 48 in early September (just before 9/11).

We would love to make the trip again, but as long as fuel prices are so high, we won't.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

• 4 months later...

Update:

We bought an F350 the end of December and a travel trailer the end of January. The current thinking is that we would start out at The Ranch this fall, then sometime in January or February go to Quartzsite for a bit, then head north.

A cruise is still a possibility. That would probably entail leaving truck and trailer somewhere in the NW. The big problem there is the cat. She is quite used to staying inside, but does get stressed by being in strange surroundings. We'll have to do some more research on this. If she could stay in the trailer she would be fine.

David Lininger, kb0zke

1 hour ago, kb0zke said:

Update:

We bought an F350 the end of December and a travel trailer the end of January. The current thinking is that we would start out at The Ranch this fall, then sometime in January or February go to Quartzsite for a bit, then head north.

A cruise is still a possibility. That would probably entail leaving truck and trailer somewhere in the NW. The big problem there is the cat. She is quite used to staying inside, but does get stressed by being in strange surroundings. We'll have to do some more research on this. If she could stay in the trailer she would be fine.

You don't want to cross the Canadian border until at least mid-May.  Otherwise you'll still see frozen lakes and fast streams and very possibly snow.

If you can, drive to Alaska.  You'll see a lot more than on a cruise and you can take your cat.  Spend the whole summer for the trip and begin the return late August.  Return via the Cassier and you can stop in Hyder to watch the bears fish.  That's the time they are there.

Full-timed for 16 Years

9 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

If you can, drive to Alaska.  You'll see a lot more than on a cruise and you can take your cat.  Spend the whole summer for the trip and begin the return late August.  Return via the Cassier and you can stop in Hyder to watch the bears fish.  That's the time they are there.

X2.

Regarding pets on a cruise to Alaska: All pets must remain in the RV.  You'll have certain times during the day when you can go down to visit and walk them (dogs).  You will not be allowed to sleep in the RV.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Couple thoughts...I'm from Alaska, and have RV'd there thru Canada as well.  Will be doing it in 2024 again. 

Marine highway - look at the schedules closely.  They aren't convenient.  Many of the ferries are old and breaking, so be aware of that. 

The Alcan is not the scary beast many make it out to be.  You should have seen it in the 80's. Back then, it was.  Now, it's just another highway.

You can see a ton of Alaska by driving this route in either direction  - Tok - Fairbanks - Anchorage - Tok.  It's a big triangle covering most of the driveable highways in Alaska.  While in Anchorage, go south to Seward/Home/both and take a day cruise, and if it's your thing, a fishing charter.

Boondocking - if you can, it makes the whole trip way easier. There are miles and miles between RV parks.  And state parks don't really accomodate anything big. Similar to California.  In Alaska, if it's not obviously private property, you can overnight.  Lot's of pullouts for this.  In Canada, you can overnight at pretty much all pull outs - they mark the ones you can't with signs.

Get gas/diesel when you can.  As mentioned before - miles and miles between stops.  Sometimes hundreds.

There are alot of side trips that are not RV friendly, so take that into consideration.  Leave the RV, drive the Toad and explore.

If you want to see the capitol, you can drive south from Whitehorse and take a boat, minus the RV.

Our RV trip was in a 40 foot fifth wheel/F350.  We saw tons of Class A's and big fifth wheels in every campground along the way.  Our next trip will be in an HDT and 45 foot fifth wheel.  Anticipate no issues.

2001 VNL 660

2018 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

8 hours ago, LindaH said:

X2.

Regarding pets on a cruise to Alaska: All pets must remain in the RV.  You'll have certain times during the day when you can go down to visit and walk them (dogs).  You will not be allowed to sleep in the RV.

You're talking about the ferry; not a cruise.  😉

Full-timed for 16 Years

5 hours ago, aknavy said:

Couple thoughts...I'm from Alaska, and have RV'd there thru Canada as well.  Will be doing it in 2024 again. 

Marine highway - look at the schedules closely.  They aren't convenient.  Many of the ferries are old and breaking, so be aware of that. 

The Alcan is not the scary beast many make it out to be.  You should have seen it in the 80's. Back then, it was.  Now, it's just another highway.

You can see a ton of Alaska by driving this route in either direction  - Tok - Fairbanks - Anchorage - Tok.  It's a big triangle covering most of the driveable highways in Alaska.  While in Anchorage, go south to Seward/Home/both and take a day cruise, and if it's your thing, a fishing charter.

Boondocking - if you can, it makes the whole trip way easier. There are miles and miles between RV parks.  And state parks don't really accomodate anything big. Similar to California.  In Alaska, if it's not obviously private property, you can overnight.  Lot's of pullouts for this.  In Canada, you can overnight at pretty much all pull outs - they mark the ones you can't with signs.

Get gas/diesel when you can.  As mentioned before - miles and miles between stops.  Sometimes hundreds.

There are alot of side trips that are not RV friendly, so take that into consideration.  Leave the RV, drive the Toad and explore.

If you want to see the capitol, you can drive south from Whitehorse and take a boat, minus the RV.

Our RV trip was in a 40 foot fifth wheel/F350.  We saw tons of Class A's and big fifth wheels in every campground along the way.  Our next trip will be in an HDT and 45 foot fifth wheel.  Anticipate no issues.

About 3/4 or more of the "Alcan" is in Canada, of which there is more to see and do than in Alaska IMO.

The most unusual novelty experience is to have a Sourtoe Cocktail  at Dawson City, YT. on the shore of the mighty Yukon river.

EDIT: I didn't meant to quote you, but don't know how to unring the bell.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961