Dometic 300 toilet

The foot pedal on our Dometic 300 is sticking on occasion. Right now I can jar it loose with a second step down, but I can foresee the day when that may not work. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this. I am seriously thinking about just replacing the toilet.

Wayne & Jinx

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Good morning Jinx and Wayne.. Based on my experience, often and hopefully in your case ?? a cleaning and light (not heavy or sticky) spray lube may cure your problem. Any return spring obviously needs to be tight enough. Much cheaper n easier than replacement if all else is working properly. In 50 years of RV ownership I used several different styles and brands but in order to greatly extend the time between having to dump I went with a Marine Recirculating Toilet the last two RV's. However, to each their own as all methods have advantages as well as disadvantages.

Best wishes to you and all here

John T  

Edited by oldjohnt

Before you lube it with anything.       I would suggest putting some Levi shine or clr in the bowl with a full bowl of water.  Say two tablespoons of said substance.  Let is sit for a hour or three. That should dissolve iron out mineral build up.

Next thing to do after flushing the first treatment down, then put a half cup of simple green in the bowl with a quart of water. Leave that sit foe a few hours.

Flush as needed.

Just my thinking 

Wayne,

Here is one RVr's opinion who owns it, and if she is correct it may be best to replace it with the next model up.

https://maliasmiles.com/dometic-300-toilet-recall/

And this video:

Hope one helps! Apparently there is a recall of some sort you might want to research.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I had this happen and used cooking spray to lube the valve.  It would get stuck open against the rubber seal.  It isnt a cure all but does help for a while esp if you cant immediately attend to it, it will allow the valve to close.  And it is non-toxic.

Marcel

Quote from the Dometic gravity flush installation and operation manuall

"Do not use chlorine or caustic chemicals,
such as laundry bleach or drain-opening
products, in the system. These products
damage the seals in toilets and other
plumbing valves."

Dometic 300 repair process.

Dometic 300 recall, re: odors

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Before you buy or lube anything watch the video I provided and check for that. Quick easy and free fix if that is the problem.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Wayne, let us know if that does the trick.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Oops! They are defunct right?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Wayne, I found my exact model # on a sticker behind the plastic shroud around the base; but I have a 510 model, yours might not have that shroud.

As read it that link, Dometic recalled the 300 and replaced it with the 310 model.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 10/11/2022 at 4:39 AM, RV_ said:

Oops! They are defunct right?

I'm not sure who "they" are -- we are not defunct, it only feels like it some mornings.

I got the gasket and silicone lube, and put it in yesterday. I was very careful to clean around the gasket mounting area and the ball. I installed the gasket and sprayed the area with silicone lube. Right now it is working. It holds water and doesn't stick. I saw plenty of wear marks on the ball. I'm betting this is the original toilet from the build date in 2005. We will probably replace it when we get to winter quarters in December.

Wayne

Jinx and Wayne

On 10/10/2022 at 9:15 PM, Jinx & Wayne said:

Will do. It is supposed to arrive Tuesday. Dometic was a GREAT help. They suggested I contact the manufacturer of my RV to get the model. Right.... I have a Carriage.

Carriage is defunct right? Hard to chack with right? 🙁

8 hours ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

I'm not sure who "they" are -- we are not defunct, it only feels like it some mornings.

I got the gasket and silicone lube, and put it in yesterday. I was very careful to clean around the gasket mounting area and the ball. I installed the gasket and sprayed the area with silicone lube. Right now it is working. It holds water and doesn't stick. I saw plenty of wear marks on the ball. I'm betting this is the original toilet from the build date in 2005. We will probably replace it when we get to winter quarters in December.

Wayne

Probably a good idea. Glad you have it sealing for now. The ceramic model was recommended many times as a better replacement. We had to replace ours for the same reason, but it had a blade instead of a ball and the TP was packed in there along with other minerals etc.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

2 hours ago, RV_ said:

blade instead of a ball

Mine is probably a blade from the looks of it. I was not aware there was a difference. I assume the ball is newer because all of the youtube stuff talks about a ball. There was certainly a lot of "crap/minerals" in there. I had to scrape it out.

Wayne

Jinx and Wayne

I had the old aqua magic IV and if you go to the end of this video you can see that blade goes across and seats in the groove in the middle of the rubber gasket. It does not roll under it as the ball types do. I bought a screwdriver with a long flat head tip and bent it at a right angle and used that to wipe out any TP or poop debris that got in the groove. The video showed him using Vaseline to lube his - don't use anything as a cleaner or lube that contains petroleum distillates and petroleum jelly like Vaseline does and can mess up the rubber of the gaskets and the EPDM roof.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998