Camp Lejune Justice Act

prplehearts

Has anyone done a deep dive into this process?  I started a conversation with a law firm to get background and seems it’s a pretty straightforward process to submit a claim.  Caveat Emptor…don’t submit a claim for a disability that the VA is currently compensating you for because there WILL be an offset on future payments if the claim is approved.  The last thing you want is to give the VA any reason to reopen an existing file.

I’ve been assured that any claim against Camp Lejune will be independent of the Veterans Administration.

I am constantly bombarded with Camp Lejune Justice Act phone calls and email and ads from all kinds of lawyers.  I never served in the military....sorry fellows.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

You actually didn’t have to serve in the military to submit a claim…if you were a dependent who lived on the base, a contractor or civilian that worked on the base or any scenario that caused you to stay there for 30 days or longer would make you eligible for submission of a claim if you were deemed presumptive of a particular illness.

5 hours ago, pjstough said:

One of the things I have read is that you do not need a lawyer to file a claim, despite the fact that there are lots of law firms advertising their services to file a claim on your behalf.

This is true, you can contact the Naval JAG office in that jurisdiction and download the forms in a PDF.  
After looking over the forms and subsequent questions my opinion using that process makes it far too easy to be summarily rejected.

I think I’ll operate on the principle that if I stand on a street corner and someone is offering me a hundred dollar bill but I have to give them back 30 or 40 dollars each time, I can live with that! (and the government is offering a LOT more than 100 dollar bills in my case.

I was there at Montfort Point for approximately 6 week starting about Jan 2 of 1969 but I do not believe I have shown any ill effects that I can state.  I am on  a list to be possibly monitered at the VA as I am for agent orange. I have not looked into this but as I understand I must have had issues specific to the contamination to apply. Same for agent orange. For instance there is a particular heart issue, ischemic heart disease I think, for agent orange.  I have more than one heart issue but the first one was diagnosed as chronic ideopathic cardio myopathy. I am told ideopathic means that it is not known what causes it. I have not been obsessed with it all but if they don't know what causes it then how do they decide it isn't service related?   HMMMMMM?  Oh well I had a life to live so I have just gotten on with it.

I also meant to say no one has contacted me about the Camp Lejuene issue.  Buuuttt if I never get another call about the fake medicare insurance I would be really happy.

Edited by bigjim
more comment

Good info prplhearts. Thanks

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire