Fun with Directv

Just got off the phone with them - my account is in “pending discontinuation” status until the 18th.  They leave the account in that status until the end of the period I’ve paid for apparently (no refunds for unused portion of the month).  They don’t send out the email about what to do with my receiver until the account has been disconnected on the 18th - so I won’t get an email until the 19th.

OK, I can buy that explanation - they told me when I called in the beginning that I could continue to watch until the 18th, but my Winegard G2+ antenna is such a pain to set up so I won’t bother.

My original account goes back to 1999 or 2000, not long after we bought the house.  I switched it to a mobile account when they stopped my grandfathered DNS access (2 years ago?  It was after I had sold the house).  I’ve been using a Winegard G2+ antenna with an H23 receiver - while the G2+ antenna is easy to set up, it’s still a bother when I’m traveling - I rarely bother unless I’m going to be somewhere for a while.  I’m now using Fubo for TV stations - it’s working well enough for me.

When calling DTV support, as soon as someone answers that is located in an Indian call center, ask to be transfered to a USA support center. Don't take any BS answer from them, demand to be transfered.

The last few times I have had to call them, I have had great service from American support people that are HAPPY you ask for them. We have had DTV approximately 25 years and yes, the service went down the tubes when AT&T bought them (I HATE AT&T by the way) but out here in the hinterlands or while RV'ing, we didn't have many options until recently. I now have fiber optic at our house and just added Starlink for the RV and we are reviewing whether to downgrade to basic DTV or eliminate it all together.

Edited by GeorgiaHybrid

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

• 3 weeks later...

My account now shows disconnected as of Tuesday.  Still no email telling me what, if anything, I’m supposed to return.  I assume they want the card that’s in the receiver back, but haven’t heard.

I get back to my home-base tomorrow, figure if I don’t get an email by Monday I’ll call again.

I didn’t get an email about what to return, so I called today.  Talked to someone reading from pages that only partly answered my question.  So I took my receiver and a remote to the UPS Store and got their receipt accepting it.  They say that they’ll send me an email when they receive it, though I wonder about that - since they seem to be only able to send bills by email.  I carefully put the receipt away, in case the receiver gets lost somewhere.

I'm sure I started reading this. I have purchased a 2017 Entegra when a Direct Traveler Antenna. After looking at the converting to dish but converting the 2016-2017 Entegra may not be easy. I thought maybe going DTV  could be a easy move. No Way Now. Thanks for your input

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Starting DTV is pretty easy, actually. Having a Traveler antenna makes it easier to set up than my old Winegard antenna (which was more in the fussy category than difficult). Yes, it gets more and more expensive every year, and there seems to be issues with what channels they offer occasionally.  I almost switched to Dish when they dropped the grandfathered DNS and I would have had to call in to change the local channels whenever I moved, but by that time I was full-time and could switch to a mobile account which gave me access to DNS.

I would probably have kept my rarely used account if I hadn’t gotten Starlink, in spite of the fact that I usually had to go online and have them reenable/or whatever they do so that my receiver would work again after a month or two.  Once I got Starlink, I looked at where I could cut expenses and DTV was the logical choice, Live TV streaming services are cheaper. The only thing with them is that there are “gotchas” with them, some being more restrictive than others. Read the fine print if you are full-time and move a lot.