no power to the generator

greg ford

my Onan generator has no power going to it.  I checked the breaker and it is on.  no lights when pushing start button.

this is on a Jayco Alante 29S 2021

I just bought this in Florida and drove it to Indiana and the generator worked fine.

after having a 30 amp plug wired at my home and plugging the rv in and leaving it sit something drained the house battery and the generator will not start even off the chassis engine.

any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, greg ford said:

something drained the house battery and the generator will not start even off the chassis engine.

When you try starting it from the chassis, start the engine first, then hold the emergency start switch down for several minutes to help put some charge into the house batteries before you try to start the generator. It the generator stater just clicks or does nothing at all, it probably needs a bit more power as part of the alternator output goes to replinish the chassis battery and also to the dead coach batteries. It may take a few minutes of run time to overcome that. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 9/29/2022 at 8:21 AM, greg ford said:

after having a 30 amp plug wired at my home and plugging the rv in and leaving it sit something drained the house battery and the generator will not start even off the chassis engine.

Hey Greg, howdy fellow Hoosier. Im puzzled with your statement above since if plugged to shore power and iffffffffffff your Converter/Charger is working, wired correct and your house batteries are good ?? the house battery should be charged after being plugged in.

If the house batteries discharge EVEN WHEN PLUGGED TO SHORE POWER thats the FIRST problem (bad charger ? bad batteries or connection ?) you need to address !!!! If its working and charging when plugged in BUT DISCHARGES AFTER SETTING UNPLUGGED (phantom loads) thats the SECOND problem you need to address.

Not being there I will assume for now and proceed that your genset is powered by your house batteries, if NOT post back I will make changes to the below

In the event the genset is powered by your house batteries (very typical) but they are discharged for whatever reason and your Converter/Charger isn't charging them YOUR GENSET WONT START    WELL DUH you already know that.......So you have to get them tested (many shops will charge and load test for free) and charged up then see if it will crank ?? What is the voltage of your house batteries ?? If fully charged at rest and stabilized (no chargers no loads) Id expect around 12.6 volts and when plugged to shore power iffffffffff your batteries are good ?? and the charger is good ?? battery voltage should rise to 13 to 14 or so volts DO THEY ???? 

I have seen EITHER bad house batteries orrrrrrrrrrrrr a faulty Converter/Charger (or a wiring problem) be the cause of discharge such that the genny wont crank or RV 12 Volt lights/appliances/vent fans/water pumps fail to work. 

1) DO OTHER HOUSE BATTERY 12 VOLT LOADS AND LIGHTS WORK ?? orrrrrrrrrrrrrr  2) Is it ONLY the genset wont crank ??????? 

If NOTHING works (genny or 12 Volt coach lights and appliances) I suspect your house batteries are bad or DISCHARGED or there's a bad connection or fuse or DC breaker or disconnect problem.

If its ONLY the genny that doesn't crank but the 12 Volt house lights and appliances do, then I suspect a wiring or connection problem (thats assuming the house batteries are what powers the genset NOT the engine battery) 

(A) Two methods to charge house batteries using engines alternator 

1. On some (not all) RV set ups the engines alternator can provide some degree of charge to the house batteries (may have a solid state dual battery isolator or some sort of relay function (may latch only AFTER a time delay) when running).  Ifffffffffffff that's the case in YOUR RV ?? and all is correct, running the engine should after some time charge BOTH the engine and house batteries.......SEE IF RUNNING THE ENGINE CHARGES THE HOUSE BATTERIES AND THE GENNY WILL EVENTUALLY CRANK GIVEN ADEQUATE TIME ???????

2. On some other different (not all) RV set ups there's an emergency switch that when activated it jumps the engine to house batteries. If you can start the engine  TRY RUNNING THE ENGINE WITH THE EMERGENCY SWITCH ACTIVATED FOR SOME TIME (may take a while) TO SEE IF THE GENNY CRANKS THEN ???? 

(B) To charge house batteries using Converter/Charger (if working and batteries not shot) Just plug to shore power, give it some time, then see if genny cranks?? 

BOTTOM LINE 1) You need to determine if the house (most common) or engine battery powers the genny ??? 2) You need to see if the house batteries are good and charged ??? TRY THAT SEE IF GENY STARTS !!!!!!!!! 3) You need to see if when plugged to shore power your converter/charger is charging the house batteries (IE battery voltage will rise to 13 to 14 IF working)??  4) You need to determine if you have an emergency switch that jumps engine and house batteries together ?? 5) You need to see if you have a solid state dual battery isolator or a solenoid that ties engine and house batteries when driving to charge BOTH ?? 

CHECK AND TEST VOLTAGE OF HOUSE BATTERIES WHEN SETTING AND WHEN CHARGER IS OPERATING??????? If low orrrrrrrrrrrrrr sure genny itself may have a problem or wiring or connection etc. YOU MAY JUST HAVE BAD OR DEAD HOUSE BATTERIES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Get them charged (using EITHER converter/charger or engines alternator) then if the genny starts you just have to fix the charging issue or perhaps the batteries are shot !!!

PS when you state the genny wont start even off the engine battery, its often NOT connected to it anyway UNLESS an emergency switch is activated or its wired different from typical...Again if the alternator charges the house batteries it may take some time of engine running before the genny will start.

Nuff for now, post back your findings or questions

John T  Home in Indiana for now

Edited by oldjohnt