gray tank flush

dragonfly

17 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

Your occasional use of bleach would be OK for a home septic but at a campground that has a septic (which most public campgrounds have), if many campers use bleach it definitely is not good for a septic.

"Bleach is used all over your household. But, your septic system does not approve. Limit the number of bleach products you use, how often you use them, and eliminate any highly concentrated products from your cleaning routine."

https://advancedsepticservicesfl.com/chlorine-bleach-septic-systems/

As the article you cited points out, moderate use of chlorine bleach is acceptable for a septic system.  Moderate use is considered to be about 3/4 cup for a load of laundry (about 15 gallons of water).  That is more bleach than I use and I do this once or twice a month, not up to several times a day when doing laundry at home.  In addition the bleach I use reacts and is largely neutralized by the food particles, scum and sludge in my grey water tank before the remainder makes it to the dump station.  Everyone could bleach grey tanks without causing issues with a dump station.

There is another big concern.  Many of the black tank deodorizers still contain formaldehyde.  To be effective they must kill the bacteria in the black tank and excessive amounts also can greatly reduce bacteria in septic systems. 

RV 101 Education with Mark Polk: RV Toilet Chemicals Still Have Formaldehyde...REALLY? (rvingwithmarkpolk.blogspot.com)  

There are very few waste tank products today that use formaldehyde but it is best to read the ingredients on the lable to be sure. If you choose to use any product, make it one that is either enzyme or bacterial, or better yet a combination of both. Under most circumstances no additives at all are needed but if using one makes you feel better, those will not harm any septic system and in hot weather or when dumping frequently you may need one. Those types of additives do not harm the natural process that normally begins while waste in in the tanks but in many cases will enhanse and speed up the process. 

Chemicals all kill the bacteria and substitute some type of chemical process but if used in moderate enough amounts with generous use of water, do little or no harm to a septic system, especially in situations like RV dumps where most people no longer use them. Even a detergent if overused will do harm to a septic system. If you want to understand what chlorine bleach use does and doesn't do, as well as how it works, How Stuff Works has a very good explaination.

Over my years of RV use I have heard quite an array of myths about the perfect thing to use in waste tanks but my 40+ years of experience has shown me that the most important thing that must be used with any additives or with no additives is water. If you use enough water almost anything can be used in the RV waste tanks and with too little water, nothing will make the systen work. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I agree that just plenty of water is all you need unless something is installed improperly or broken.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

21 hours ago, JimK said:

Moderate use is considered to be about 3/4 cup for a load of laundry (about 15 gallons of water).  That is more bleach than I use and I do this once or twice a month, not up to several times a day when doing laundry at home.  In addition the bleach I use reacts and is largely neutralized by the food particles, scum and sludge in my grey water tank before the remainder makes it to the dump station.  Everyone could bleach grey tanks without causing issues with a dump station.

I seem to recall that one of the Escapees parks (Bushnell?) prohibited the use of bleach. I have seen that in other park rules.

Wayne & Jinx

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ