Cell Phone Coverages Maps by carrier for western US.

Vladimir

I use this web site for tracking fire activitiy and lots of other outdoor things.  It is a free site.

I just noticed that in the bottom of the map overlay section (right side of map) there is a GIS layer you can turn on for cell coverage.  It allows you to chose from Verizon, ATT, and T-Mobile.

I just checked it for about 10 sites that I camp and use a cell phone and it seems to work real well.  It appears to be constructed from a "seen area" from the towers as opposed to the cell companies maps that show completely optimistic coverage!!

The map is for voice, not data coverage.  No bars are shown, but when you get a scattered signal like the T-Mobile example you can assume bad reception.

Here is the link for T-Mobile coverage on the Snake River.

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=46.62655,-117.7979&z=13&b=mbt&a=cellcoverage_t

It also has the NVUM layer for National Forests.

I would be interesting in hearing how good the cellular map is for your carrier and area.  In some of the areas, I camp in I do need the amplifier for a good voice connection.  As noted before, this is for VOICE coverage not data.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Technomadia sells an app called Coverage? that shows the maps for all the popular phone systems. You can turn on and off layers to see what coverage the providers say they have where. Last I checked, updates were free.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Wow, thank you. What a much better map than what carriers offer!

I wanted to see how accurate the map is. I looked at location where we were told we would have coverage, based on the Verizon coverage map. But we got to the spot (for a workamping job), we discovered that it was smack in the middle of a black hole, surrounded by 5G towers! Since we had no coverage, we had to leave the job, which was so disappointing.

I'm keeping this bookmarked. Can't thank you enough!

Rene & Jim
Exploring North America since 2007. SKP #103,274

I checked a couple of places where we stay/have stayed. Particularly telling is Lake Powhatan Recreation Area and Campground (NFS) outside Asheville, NC. We were volunteer camp hosts there for a season when we first hit the road. Coverage was almost nonexistent for carriers other than Verizon and even Verizon had dark holes in various places within the campground (different loops). The map you have provided the link to has much better resolution and is significantly more accurate than Verizon's coverage map. I then checked Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD (where we currently are). There are known dead spots on post for several of the carriers and I have tested both Verizon and T-Mobile in the Marylander RV Park. Your map is more accurate for post than are the carriers' maps... by far. Thanks for providing such a useful tool (and I will explore its other uses, too!).

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

1 hour ago, LindaH said:

I wonder how much of a difference there would be between voice coverage and data coverage?

There can be quite a bit. We've been a number of places where voice is all we could get. 

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2022 at 6:54 AM, LindaH said:

I wonder how much of a difference there would be between voice coverage and data coverage?

There is quite a bit.  

I can have PERFECT voice coverage and NO DATA coverage.

I think it is because of the data packets that are sent and verified for data. Somebody with more of a technical background should chime in on this subject.

I always think it is a REFLECTED signal or bounce that makes data difficult.  I have used my amplifier in areas and gotten FOUR BARS on LTE and had NO DATA signal.  

Yeah, the mountains in the west this happens all the time.

Vladimr Steblina

usbackroads.blogspot.com

• 3 weeks later...

Second Chance,

Just fyi...we were in Lake Powhatan Campground near Asheville for about it week in late September and Verizon cell phone and MiFi (data) were non-existent. We stayed in 3 spots in two sections during that time and could not get a signal.

The office (check in) has an i-Pad that has network access in case you need to book a site at their campground when you arrive.

Connie

2016 Leisure Travel Van Serenity S24CB

On 10/10/2022 at 12:08 PM, crstrm said:

Second Chance,

Just fyi...we were in Lake Powhatan Campground near Asheville for about it week in late September and Verizon cell phone and MiFi (data) were non-existent. We stayed in 3 spots in two sections during that time and could not get a signal.

The office (check in) has an i-Pad that has network access in case you need to book a site at their campground when you arrive.

Connie

How did it compare to the map prediction?

I just came back from camping in a marginal area.  My Verizon signal was a two bars WITH the amplifier.  My friends ATT phone had zero bars without the amplifier.  FOUR bars with the amplifier and he got to get on a zoom call for over an hour without any issues.

The map showed "slightly" better ATT reception in our area, than Verizon.  It ended up being a huge difference.

The map is not perfect.

Vladimr Steblina

usbackroads.blogspot.com

13 hours ago, Vladimir said:

jI ust came back from camping in a marginal area.  My Verizon signal was a two bars WITH the amplifier.  My friends ATT phone had zero bars without the amplifier.  FOUR bars with the amplifier and he got to get on a zoom call for over an hour without any issues.

Cellular devices are usable over a signal strength range of >50 dB (50 dB is a factor of 100,000).  There is no way that the simple graphic on a phone is ever going to provide more than a qualitative representation of the signal strength.  Furthermore, there is no reason to expect that comparing displays in phones of two different models and/or types will provide any meaningful data.

If you want to understand your available signal strength in more detail, try using an app such as Network Cell Signal Lite (for Android phones) which will display actual signal strength in dB. 

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I understand that.  The fact that my friend could do a ZOOM meeting with his phone and I couldn't display video indicates he did have a significantly stronger signal.

I remember when Apple got rid of their signal strength meter and then made the phones display more bars with a weaker signal.

And Big Tech wonders why people consider them to be evil!!

Do you have any recommendations for an app for IOS that shows signal strength as a constant display??

Vladimr Steblina

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Vlad, I just viewed the coverage for the small valley where I live, the surrounding hills are 100' higher than my house. The map appears to be very accurate. Thanks for sharing.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961