Tesla Super Charger Stations

Kirk W

1 minute ago, Lou Schneider said:

So take another look at Mark & Teri's excellent answer directly above yours and multiply the numbers by 1.75.  It's still a ridiculously small amount of the total power consumed by the 40 stall charging station, i.e. little more than an advertising gimmick.

And recognize that my answer is based on the top-producing solar panels currently available.  When (if) these new cells become commercially available and if they can be affordably mass-produced is anyone's guess.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

OK we will see. If it produces power, stores some to "Time Shift" some or a lot of the more expensive peak time power costs then it's not a gimmick.

I agree that they will not power them alone. They use the grid/battery/solar. All of the articles agree as have all the articles above thus far that they will not power the charging stations, they will be put in to try to keep costs down.

So show me the math that no power will be produced nor enough to reduce the costs of power at peak rates/times in any percentage.

That is absurd as are the claims the articles said they would power the charging stations and all here can review the above. English 101?

THIS POWER STATION OUTLINED WILL HAVE SOLAR/BATTERY TO OFFSET SOME OF THE COSTS OF PEAK POWER USE BY THE CHARGING STATION TO KEEP COSTS DOWN. IF THEIR GOAL IS 5% AND IT DOES THAT THEN IS IT A GIMMICK?

Carry on carrying on about imaginary statements that they claimed to be building totally solar and battery powered charging stations. An invented premise is not befitting engineers.

I never questioned your math. I remain amazed at a seeming reading comprehension issue with some folks.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

32 minutes ago, RV_ said:

That is absurd as are the claims the articles said they would power the charging stations and all here can review the above. English 101?

Carry on carrying on about imaginary statements that they claimed to be building totally solar and battery powered charging stations. An invented premise is not befitting engineers.

Nothing invented, no issue with reading comprehension on this end.

One more time, from the article that you yourself provided:

It will get most of its electricity from a 4500 square foot solar array that will feed a 3 MWh Megapack battery storage system. That’s large enough to supply the needs of all 40 chargers."

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

I'll repeat the needs to provide a reduction in costs. There is a whole article there and I suggest you take it up with that author's wording.

In the military we call some people's insistence on a false premise quibbling.

How about this? Everyone who said it will not supply 100% of the power is right, as I am in that it is to reduce costs at this time.

Have a super nice day. Bless your heart!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

"I get similar numbers, say 15ft2 per panel, 9000 / 15 = 600 panels, and assuming high 300Wp per panel, say 370Wp, that's 222kWp. Assuming a kWh/kWp of 6 for the location, then that's about 1.3MWh per day, so for 50kWh charges, that's about 26 charges. Not bad at all.

Obviously 'most of the energy' from the PV arrays isn't true, though I think Tesla has a goal of achieving that longer term, so perhaps solar arrays (farms) will be built out too, or contracted for the leccy under some sort of PPA."

In the comments under the article https://cleantechnica.com/2022/09/17/arizona-7-times-more-ev-chargers-tesla-v4-superchargers-coming/

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 9/20/2022 at 2:18 PM, Lou Schneider said:

So take another look at Mark & Teri's excellent answer directly above yours

So, where did I say anything different? I might poit out to you that what I posted was data and it tends to support what they said. The second does point out that research is continuing it improve those numbers. You seem to be defending from an attack that never happened. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI