Class C pros and cons

jules2go

Hello,

Interested in hearing from anyone who might want to share their pros/cons for Class C RVs for full-time. I have two dogs and a skittish cat, and will be working remotely from it several days a week; the rest of the week I want to explore. If you live in a Class C, what made you choose it over a trailer? I have a trailer now and it takes a lot effort to set up camp. I can't see setting up with a C unless you have a toad, otherwise you have to break camp anytime you wanted to leave. But there must be a lot of pros to having a C because there are so many out there. Thanks for the help. 

Nucamp T@b 320S, Toyota Tacoma

Asheville. NC

Don't postpone joy!

1. The can go places a class A cannot. They are good for boondocking if the unit has high clearance.

2. If you want a loaf of bread you have to break camp and drive to the store. I haven't seen C's towing a toad very often.

3. We have two dogs, 40# and 70# and they do not take a lot of room but they will be under your feet all the time. Cats need even less space. They both sleep 18 hours a day or more. We are in a 30 ft TT.

4. The C may be more cramped inside, depends on what you get. Some of those super C's look bigger. I have not looked inside one tho,.

We lived in a 24' class c without towing a car and loved it. We were traveling most of the time so didn't "set up camp" except when meeting up with friends. We could park at tourist sites and the grocery store and the laundromat. We loved never having to guess which vehicle held which items--if we needed a raincoat is was right where we could get it without every having to go outside. We never had to wait for the temperature to adjust when we came home because we were always home. But, we were two adults with no pets--I'm not sure where we would have put pet dishes and a littler box. And you have to let the dogs be on the furniture or you'd never have room to walk.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I have never owned class C but having been very active in Escapees events for years and also having lived fulltime in a class A for 12 years we have spent a lot of time with friends who owned them and we have looked at them. When we began to consider moving from trailers to a motorized RV it was the class C that we had in mind until we did our research. I believe that in the fulltime RV community, the class C is more popular with single people than with couples and probably more so with women than men (not sure of that). Most people find the class C less intimidating to get used to driving than a class A, but with a little practice that is usually overcome quite quickly. 

The class C is not usually as tall as a similar size class A and is typically more manuverable than a truck & trailer combination, but if the class C (or class A) is towing the car must be disconnected to back. For a single person that might be an issue if you muse disconnect some distance before you park. 

One of the biggest advantages to any motorized RV over all trailers is that they typically have an ongoard generator that can be used while traveling and so the RV air conditioner can be used as well as the cab air conditioner so the entire RV is comfortable when you stop for lunch or for any other reason. It is much easier for the motorized RV to stop in the nearest parking lot if you choose to spend the night and if you have leveling jacks you don't even have to go outside to set up camp! The bathroom, kitchen, and other amenities are much more available for use than with any type of trailer. Motorized RVs are usually more comfortable for pets than a trailer would be, and especially for a skittish cat. Most modern clas C RVs are capable of towing a small car but you do want to look closely at the weight limits. (GVWR,   GCWR, CCC/NCC) Probably the biggest advantage that nay motorized RV has over a trailer is the setup when you stop. If the site where you stop is level that difference is great but if leveling is needed and you don't have power leveling jacks, the trailer would be easiest. Leveling jacks are much more common on any motorized RV than on travel trailers but there are some out there. 

You asked about the comparison between a Class C and a travel trailer, so I'll not go farther except to suggest that you also consider one of the small class A RVs as you contemplate a change. About the only disadvantages of a class A compared to a class C is the greater height of the A but it also has much more storage. Before you choose at least take some time to compare the two.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

. . . you do want to look closely at the weight limits. (GVWR,   GCWR, CCC/NCC). . .

Doing our homework we found that the ability to carry more "stuff" was important.  The Class C is great until one adds all their gear, food, beverages, etc. and finds that the rig now exceeds it's weight limit.
So I've kind of ruled out a class C for us.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

Since you're talking about full-time and working from your RV, a Class C 'could' work if you are single.  However, for two people, two dogs and a cat and trying to work on a computer, I don't think it would be the best option - especially in bad weather.  There just isn't enough room unless you're talking about a long Class C.  

Class C's (& even some Class A's) have a long rear overhang which equates to poor handling, problems with the rear end scraping and tail swing during turns.  Our 40' motorhome did not have a long overhang.

Look at some and especially look at the storage space in the outside compartments. I think you'll find that there isn't much for a full-timer.

As far as ease off pavement to boondocking spots - that's not an issue.  We've seen many Class C's and we did it with our 40' motorhome.  No issues unless you're rock hopping.  Most roads on public lands are good for any RV.  The same with height issues.  We had no problems with our 40' motorhome.

Ease of siteseeing?  I'd highly recommend a towed vehicle.  Much easier to find parking spots and easier to get off pavement.  A 4x4 is even better!

Yes, there are single full-timers using a Class C and it can be done.  Just depends on YOU.

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

3 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

Class C's (& even some Class A's) have a long rear overhang which equates to poor handling, problems with the rear end scraping and tail swing during turns.  Our 40' motorhome did not have a long overhang.

2gypsies beat me to that.^^^

Make sure you account for weight as many Class Cs have little carrying capacity. The average full timer needs about 1000-1500 pounds per person. Some class Cs have just a couple of hundred pounds carrying capacity to the GVWR!

More on long overhang which is a short wheelbase:

https://rv.org/blogs/news/short-wheelbases-and-accidents-go-hand-in-hand

Safe Travels!

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

7 hours ago, Rich&Sylvia said:

Doing our homework we found that the ability to carry more "stuff" was important.  The Class C is great until one adds all their gear, food, beverages, etc. and finds that the rig now exceeds it's weight limit.
So I've kind of ruled out a class C for us.

We weighed our Class C before and after loading and were never over its limits. But, we also did not have big dogs. :)

Linda Sand

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We have had both a class A and a class C.  While the class C will seem more van like in driving, you really have to watch your weight on the larger units.  WE had a 31-foot Winnebago Minnie Winnie with no slides.  We did tow a small car when traveling.  Loaded up for a two week trip, no waste water and 1/4 tank of fresh water, the two of us and one small dog, we were within 100 LB of the chassis GVWR.  If you have slides, they will farther reduce your cargo capacity.

Another issue with the class C is the loss of the front part of the unit when parked.  The two seats remain forward facing and are best used for storage of items.  Class C units are more prone to leaks in the cab over area.

On the class A, you will generally have more cargo capacity and when parked, you can turn the two front seats to face the living area.

If we were to go back to a motorized unit, I think that I would look at the smaller class A units for better living area, more storage and generally better drivability.

Class C units are generally 3-season RVs and do not fare well in cold climates.  Any RV you consider that is in the 30 foot range should have two A/C units for hot summers. 

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

5 hours ago, TXiceman said:

Another issue with the class C is the loss of the front part of the unit when parked.  The two seats remain forward facing and are best used for storage of items.  Class C units are more prone to leaks in the cab over area.

On the class A, you will generally have more cargo capacity and when parked, you can turn the two front seats to face the living area.

If we were to go back to a motorized unit, I think that I would look at the smaller class A units for better living area, more storage and generally better drivability.

Class C units are generally 3-season RVs and do not fare well in cold climates

The seating in the cabs of our our Class C and Class Bs turned to face the living area just as they did in our Class A. We also did fine down into 20 degree nights in the smaller units and had no water leaks over the cab. And ours drove fine as well--but we weren't 30' long with tail wag problems. It appears to me your experiences are not universal so probably should be stated as experiences rather than facts.

Linda

1 hour ago, sandsys said:

The seating in the cabs of our our Class C and Class Bs turned to face the living area just as they did in our Class A. We also did fine down into 20 degree nights in the smaller units and had no water leaks over the cab. And ours drove fine as well--but we weren't 30' long with tail wag problems. It appears to me your experiences are not universal so probably should be stated as experiences rather than facts.

Linda

Nope it is fact from 38 years of RVing.  These are problems to watch for.  The longer class C units often have handling issues which can be corrected by aftermarket upgrades. 

I have yet to see a class C that did not have the standard van seats in the front which do not pivot and are a step down from the coach floor.  Some of the smaller Cs and Bs might have a level floor to the cab which would allow for rotating front seats. 

I have seen many class C units with water intrusion in the front overhang from the windows and the cab clearance lights.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

On 9/11/2022 at 1:56 PM, RV_ said:

More on long overhang which is a short wheelbase:

https://rv.org/blogs/news/short-wheelbases-and-accidents-go-hand-in-hand

Safe Travels!

JD Gallant has been banging the drum on short wheelbase, long rear overhang motorhomes for over 30 years, and IMO he's right on the money.

I've had two Class A gas powered motorhomes during that time (I'm now on my third).  The first was a 1995 Damon Intruder on a Ford F53 chassis .  It was 35 ft. long with a 60% wheelbase to length ratio meaning it had a long wheelbase and a relatively short rear overhang.  The black and grey water tanks were located between the axles and it had a 95 gallon fresh water tank just behind the rear axle.  Although it had limited payload capacity it drove down the highway like it was on rails without needing any steering or suspension upgrades.

The second motorhome was a 1994 Hall Chaparral Class A on a Chevrolet P-30 chassis.  This one was only 21 ft. long and had essentially the same dimensions as a UPS delivery truck with a short rear overhang and a sloped front end.  It too was a pleasure to drive, I told people it handled more like a sports car than a motorhome.  A couple of times on the LA freeways I'd find myself going 75 MPH keeping up with traffic without realizing I was going that fast.

My current motorhome is a 1998 Safari Trek 2430 on a Chevy chassis,  It has the Electro-Magic bed that descends from the front living room ceiling which greatly increases the daytime living space but it means almost all of the storage, kitchen and bathroom weight is behind the rear axle, along with the holding tanks and fresh water tank.  Couple this with a longer rear overhang and the Trek has considerably more road wander than the other two, despite having all of the suspension and steering upgrades added by the previous owner.  It's not bad enough to be unsafe, but it does mean you have to constantly pay attention when driving it.

Edited by Lou Schneider

42 minutes ago, Lou Schneider said:

JD Gallant has been banging the drum on short wheelbase, long rear overhang motorhomes for over 30 years, and IMO he's right on the money.

👍💯 JD personally helped me get started as did you and several others I know of who were SKPs before me and were here from the start of the forums.

JD is missed. I haven't talked to Connie in a while and need to call and see how she is doing. Like the Petersons, they were innovators and selfless resources for all of us serious RVrs. Still are through their work and writing.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

11 minutes ago, RV_ said:

JD personally helped me get started

The same here. When I was shopping for our fulltime class A back in 1998 I was unable to get even close to what his guides said that I should pay and sent an email to that effect. JD replied with a phone number and a time to call. His advice saved me a bunch of money. I haven't spoken with anyone there since they ceased operation. Sure wish that someone had stepped up to take over. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

His retirement and the cessation of new RV Rating books leaves no recommendation I can give for great reading resources to help choose what RVs not to buy. There has never been one that can tell you what to buy, but clearing the junk off the table makes the choice much more clear for me.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998