Towing or Carrier for 2nd Vehicle

Jeffery Smith

Hello, I’m Jeff in Coolidge, AZ. Have a 30 Winnebago Sightseer. I need to have a reliable get around vehicle I can use to shop and explore where I travel, hopefully into state & national parks. I’m thinking that something I can carry in a hitch mounted carrier would be easier to maneuver my RV than a pull behind. Grateful for opinions & experience about this. Thanks, Jeff 

Weight at the rear of the RV becomes a challenge for most people with a hitch mounted carrier. A car that can be towed 4-down is easier to handle with an all-terrain hitch than lifting something up onto a carrier. But, you can't back up with a towed while it is connected. But, you also don't have to consider weather as much with a toad as you do with a bike. Everything is a trade off. Only you can decide which tradeoffs work best for you. But, we're sure glad to give you all our opinions. :) 

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Agreed.  It's so much easier to sitesee in a car than in a RV.  Towing 4-down is a lot easier than a carrier.  After you do it a few times the car can be hitched up in under 10 min.... 5 min for us.  However, not all cars can be towed 4-down.  Depending on the year of the car you have in mind there are towing guides out there for every year in the past.  Buying a used car is your best bet.  New models able to tow 4-down are getting more difficult to find.  Here is one for 2020 models:  

https://images.goodsam.com/newmotorhome/towguides/DinghyGuide2020.pdf

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

The Sightseer has a Ford F53 chassis and the first issue that you will have is that to add anything that will carry a vehicle you can ride anywhere will add far too much weight to the rear axle for it's rated carrying capacity. The hitch receiver is only rated to cary 500# so you will need something much more to carry a motorcycle but it would handle a couple of bicycles.  If you check the weight ratings for your chassis you wil find that you only have a cargo capacity of about 2000# and adding some sort of transportation and a carrier for it would be certain to exceed your GVWR if you carry anything at all inside. If you have not, you should weigh your coach with it loaded for travel so that you can know what it weighs now. 

I have towed a vehicle behing a 36' class A with the F53 chassis for thousands of miles and I assure you that it is not difficult and is far more practical than trying to find something that you can safely carry on your chassis. Your coach is rated to tow up to 5000# so you could easily tow a small car. It is true that you won't be able to back with it hookedup, but that is very easily worked around with a bit of advance planning. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

18 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Your coach is rated to tow up to 5000# so you could easily tow a small car. It is true that you won't be able to back with it hookedup, but that is very easily worked around with a bit of advance planning. 

We only got into trouble once when our GPS routed us down a road that had a decorative arch over it which we couldn't clear so we had to unhook the car to turn the RV.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

1 hour ago, sandsys said:

We only got into trouble once when our GPS routed us down a road that had a decorative arch over it which we couldn't clear so we had to unhook the car to turn the RV.

I think that has happened to most of us a few times but it really isn't that big a deal. I have also dropped the towed in order to get into a fuel station more easily, just so that I could back out. We thought nothing of stopping in a parking lot and dropping our towed to use it for a short sight seeing visit and then hooking it back up to continue travel. 

5 hours ago, Kirk W said:

I think that has happened to most of us a few times but it really isn't that big a deal. I have also dropped the towed in order to get into a fuel station more easily, just so that I could back out. We thought nothing of stopping in a parking lot and dropping our towed to use it for a short sight seeing visit and then hooking it back up to continue travel. 

Since hooking or unhooking took us about 5 minutes to do it was never a concern for us either. Blocking traffic of people coming home from work while turning the RV on a narrow 2-lane road at the arch took more time.

Linda

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Joe Row said:

Been an inactive member for about a year.

You mean a member of Escapees RV Club? There is an ad for a Jeep currently on the RV Marketplace if it hasn't sold. It also has a link to an advertisement.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/vdp.action?listingId=340179157&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d494&sourceContext=shareListingEmail#listing=340179157

• 4 weeks later...