Fixing sagging cabinet doors?

nataliadonnelly

The screws holding the cabinet door hinges over our bed have started to pull out of the wood, causing the doors to sag. I could probably patch and redrill the holes for the hinges but it seems like the movement of the trailer is bouncing them pretty good. Is there a more solid solution? I'm almost thinking drilling all the way through the frame and putting a couple of thru bolts in it.

Lengths of a toothpick and Elmers glue to hold them in the enlarged hole works pretty good to make the screw hold again. Don't overtighten.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I do what Ray,IN does. But if the doors are heavy there is another way to repair it. Remove the screw and use a "T-Nut" inside the cabinet face frame. The "T-Nut" will say what size to drill the hole and then simply use a machine screw to match the threads on the "T-Nut". Avaiable at hardware stores and come in multiple sizes.

Similar to the toothpick method, I drill the hole to match a wood dowel, say 1/4”, and full depth.  I then glue or epoxy in a standard size birch dowel. (Oak works too) Not a homemade pine dowel.  With a very sharp chisel I will trim the dowel flush.  Then I predrill a small tap hole just big enough to accept the solid shank of the screw without the threads.   There is a great chance of drilling through the show side of the cabinet so be careful. 

Edited by Sculptor

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, this is my first day and first post. Saw dust, thought by most to be useless by product of cutting wood.  I however take a old medicine bottle (empty) and fill it full to fix loose screws in wood. Mix small amounts of your glue of choice (Elmer, Gorilla, Superglue) you don't want to over do it on the glue (guessing 80/20). Remove the screw, verify it is actually a wood screw not lone of main other types. Wipe any dirt and moisture in and around the hole.  Fill it with the Sawdust - Glue mixture allow to set but not dry and reattached the screw. If the screw is holding something that is pull down or out, then support item until dry over night if needed. I stole this idea from my dad, who stole it from his dad who..  I am excited and looking forward to getting to know ya'll.    

thank you I am very excited I found your guys, RV living is new and odd for me, i was an Eagle scout and an Explorer Troop was 100 % survive, what we could take was very limited and controlled. I will share what we did with the minium give us, hardest and best time of my life.  As you can see I can go on for ever, putting everyone to sleep.  I am sorry in advance, because of my strokes i have one finger on wrong hand that can hit the keys 1 or 2 at a time the other finger has no respect for how words are spelt.   thank you again for the wonderful welcome

ps what is a SKP# and lifetime membership parts of profile?

7 minutes ago, Dances in Rain said:

ps what is a SKP# and lifetime membership parts of profile?

When you join the Escapees, you are assigned a membership number (SKP#).

The Lifetime Membership is for those of us who have paid for such a membership. 

Edited by LindaH

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

2 hours ago, LindaH said:

When you join the Escapees, you are assigned a membership number (SKP#).

The Lifetime Membership is for those of us who have paid for such a membership. 

The Escapees are the sponsors of this forum. They are an organization that supports RVers in many ways. Membership includes a wonderful magazine. But, you do not need to be a member of Escapees to join this forum. We welcome any and all types of RVers. And we are a mostly friendly group but even the best of us can have a bad day now and then. :)

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On 8/22/2022 at 8:01 PM, nataliadonnelly said:

The screws holding the cabinet door hinges over our bed have started to pull out of the wood, causing the doors to sag. I could probably patch and redrill the holes for the hinges but it seems like the movement of the trailer is bouncing them pretty good. Is there a more solid solution? I'm almost thinking drilling all the way through the frame and putting a couple of thru bolts in it.

Depending on the type of frame material , I usually try the hole fill and reset the screw . 

If that doesn't do the trick , I fill the hole with what ever and use a longer screw that gets into new material . 

That generally does good . ;)

Goes around , comes around .