Coolant.. anything special?

hemsteadc

It looks kinda reddish.

What's the trick to getting the metal cap off?  I've twisted it open but I can't pull it off.  Looks like some kind of rubber thing in the middle of the cap may be stuck.  I've seen youtubes using a wrench but I don't want to twist it too far.

Edited by hemsteadc

1 hour ago, hemsteadc said:

It looks kinda reddish.

What's the trick to getting the metal cap off?  I've twisted it open but I can't pull it off.  Looks like some kind of rubber thing in the middle of the cap may be stuck.  I've seen youtubes using a wrench but I don't want to twist it too far.

Is it maybe a quarter turn cap? Push down while turning?

Also, if you don't know the age of the coolant and it doesn't look clean, you might consider just flushing and refilling. Cheap preventative maintenance. Jay

2 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Good call, Jay. Mixing in the wrong blend can also create mud in the cooling system, I'm thinking of the early Dex-Cool blend being topped with green, and absolute chaos resulting.

I don't think silicate dropout is any longer much of a problem. My understanding is the newer formulations are designed to avoid that. As I recall, it typically occurred by over treating with additive packs. Jay

4 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

Is it maybe a quarter turn cap? Push down while turning?

I'll try that, thanks.  I was getting concerned about coolant because on my last two tows I noticed it hitting 212 before the fan came on.  In years of ownership I've never paid that close attention to the water temp, maybe that's normal for  this truck.

Edit.. I've tried twisting, pushing.. it won't come off.  I'll see what SC has to say.  Hours later I still can't this thing off. 

Edited by hemsteadc

• 3 months later...

You can get coolant that is compatible with everything. It is a yellowish green. We started getting that in our farm shop. Otherwise, we had 2 barrels of coolant for various pieces of equipment. We had old-school green for the old stuff. A barrel of red for the trucks and a bunch of 2 1/2-gallon jugs of John Deere brand for the newer equipment still under warranty.