Coolant.. anything special?

hemsteadc

I'd want to figure out where it went, but to refill, wait until it's cooled down, then add back to the "Full Cold" mark.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Good call, Jay. Mixing in the wrong blend can also create mud in the cooling system, I'm thinking of the early Dex-Cool blend being topped with green, and absolute chaos resulting.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

It looks kinda reddish.

What's the trick to getting the metal cap off?  I've twisted it open but I can't pull it off.  Looks like some kind of rubber thing in the middle of the cap may be stuck.  I've seen youtubes using a wrench but I don't want to twist it too far.

Edited by hemsteadc

1 hour ago, hemsteadc said:

It looks kinda reddish.

What's the trick to getting the metal cap off?  I've twisted it open but I can't pull it off.  Looks like some kind of rubber thing in the middle of the cap may be stuck.  I've seen youtubes using a wrench but I don't want to twist it too far.

Is it maybe a quarter turn cap? Push down while turning?

Also, if you don't know the age of the coolant and it doesn't look clean, you might consider just flushing and refilling. Cheap preventative maintenance. Jay

2 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Good call, Jay. Mixing in the wrong blend can also create mud in the cooling system, I'm thinking of the early Dex-Cool blend being topped with green, and absolute chaos resulting.

I don't think silicate dropout is any longer much of a problem. My understanding is the newer formulations are designed to avoid that. As I recall, it typically occurred by over treating with additive packs. Jay

4 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

Is it maybe a quarter turn cap? Push down while turning?

I'll try that, thanks.  I was getting concerned about coolant because on my last two tows I noticed it hitting 212 before the fan came on.  In years of ownership I've never paid that close attention to the water temp, maybe that's normal for  this truck.

Edit.. I've tried twisting, pushing.. it won't come off.  I'll see what SC has to say.  Hours later I still can't this thing off. 

Edited by hemsteadc

I currently have a coolent leak. It turned out to be the pump in the AquaHot for the engine pre heat. Turned off both the intake valve and the recirculate valve to isolate the pump till I can replace it.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

• 3 months later...

You can get coolant that is compatible with everything. It is a yellowish green. We started getting that in our farm shop. Otherwise, we had 2 barrels of coolant for various pieces of equipment. We had old-school green for the old stuff. A barrel of red for the trucks and a bunch of 2 1/2-gallon jugs of John Deere brand for the newer equipment still under warranty. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

There is a lot more to coolant than color. Diesel Coolant | Heavy Haulers RV Resource Guide (hhrvresource.com)

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com