Covid’s Harmful Effects on the Brain Reverberate Years Later

Excerpt:

"Study finds ongoing risk of psychotic disorders and dementia

Research highlights burden of pandemic-induced chronic disease

Covid-19 survivors remain at higher risk of psychotic disorders, dementia and similar conditions for at least two years, according to a large study that highlights the mounting burden of chronic illness left in the pandemic’s wake.

While anxiety and depression occur more frequently after Covid than other respiratory infections, the risk typically subsides within two months, researchers at the University of Oxford found. In contrast, cognitive deficits known colloquially as “brain fog,” epilepsy, seizures and other longer-term mental and brain health disorders remained elevated 24 months later, according to a study published Wednesday in the journal Lancet Psychiatry.

The findings, based on the records of more than 1.25 million patients, add to evidence of the virus’s potential to cause profound damage to the central nervous system and exacerbate the global burden of dementia -- which cost an estimated $1.3 trillion in the year the pandemic began. Oxford researchers showed in March that even a mild case is associated with brain shrinkage equivalent to as much as a decade of normal aging. 

“The results have important implications for patients and health services as it suggests new cases of neurological conditions linked to Covid-19 infection are likely to occur for a considerable time after the pandemic has subsided,” said Paul Harrison, a professor of psychiatry and the study’s lead author, in a statement. The work highlights the need for more research to understand why this happens, and what can be done to prevent and treat these conditions, he said."

Details here:

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

1 hour ago, Chalkie said:

I don't think they are done identifying all the long term effects of COVID.

Still wearing my masks and staying out of public places except for medical appointments.  There's no place I want to go badly enough to take the risk.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

7 hours ago, sandsys said:

Still wearing my masks and staying out of public places except for medical appointments.

We were only wearing masks in crowded places for the most part but have gone back to some extent now and there are still things that we don't do which we used to but we have returned to most things. 

We do know a person who is an SKP and a long time Escapade staff member who had Covid just before the vaccinations became available and who is now one of the "Long Covid" patients with some issues still remaining nearly 2 years later. The article from Bloomberg supports one from Harvard Health Publishing that came out back in March.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

9 hours ago, sandsys said:

Still wearing my masks and staying out of public places except for medical appointments.  There's no place I want to go badly enough to take the risk.

Linda

Ditto for us as well.  In the stores, we are about the only ones still wearing a mask.  When we go out to eat, we go at off peak times to avoid crowding.  We wear our mask until the food is served and after eating, we don the mask again.

Having seen the devastation that some suffer, it is pretty easy to wear our mask.  So far, we have taken both shots and both boosters and have avoided getting COVID.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

2 hours ago, TXiceman said:

So far, we have taken both shots and both boosters and have avoided getting COVID.

Ditto.  However, we really don't know if we've had the Covid or not, unless we get tested every day.  Because of the vaccine, we may have gotten it but didn't have symptoms.  I doubt I'll go get my brain measured, in any case.  🙂

We live in an apartment complex with, I think, ~800 residents. We get reports of one or two cases every week. We could get covid just from riding the elevator down to our car since few residents are now wearing masks here.

I just read a blog that said few people wore seatbelts until they added that annoying ding that goes off if you don't wear it. Maybe we need a ding at the door if you leave without a mask? :) 

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

58 minutes ago, durangodon said:

Ditto.  However, we really don't know if we've had the Covid or not, unless we get tested every day.  Because of the vaccine, we may have gotten it but didn't have symptoms.  I doubt I'll go get my brain measured, in any case.  🙂

We have some of those home tests that Dave takes whenever he starts feeling like he might be coming down with something. So far, they have all read negative.

15 hours ago, sandsys said:

Linda

Ditto Linda,

We have the free mailed tests but have not stopped wearing masks since this thing started in indoor public places. Outdoors when not near others we take them off but that is usually just from the store to the car. We are not flying this year and will see what happens with bivalent vaccines and infection rates through this winter. We put off our move until spring anyway, and moved back our Australia/Korea/Japan/India trip until the pandemic is over. Having seen the violent stupidity of people on aircraft (it only takes one) we think it will be safer once folks see they will not walk away free from airborne attacks and non-compliance. 

We have lived amazing lives all over the world doing everything we ever dreamed and then some like many of you. If I keeled tomorrow I'd smile. However, unless I have a terminal illness I intend to live every moment I can, as long as I can, and wearing a mask is nothing for a few minutes to an hour or three intermittently to stay healthy. We plan to take the next booster and/or bivalent and the MPV vaccine as soon as available as well.

And wear masks because even though few, if any, call it a hoax anymore, there are still folks who won't be vaccinated. 

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

We had COVD 3 times thus far (2 x Delta era & 1 x Omnicron era) in our family and every time it was connected to someone flying in and collecting them at the airport.   Ironically each and every time hubby and I went down sick starting on the 5th day after these events.  

I was masking and sanitising before it was mandated and nervous of my space being compromised by inconsiderate others.    Nowadays I am frowned/eye brows raised or a jib comment sometimes  for wearing my mask, whenever I enter a public premises or maybe in close proximity of others.

Likewise I sanitize (not sure in the long term it's a good thing but ......) after every encounter of touching anything not within our home.   Even when pumping our own gas and before opening my car door.

Yep I know many think that's overkill but 12 weeks really really sick, 8 weeks really sick (Delta's) and then May past sick like a bad flu, I don't care what people think.   I always say to everyone regarding anything, here's my take but as always "YOU must do YOU".

Eating out we wear a mask until we are seated and put our mask back on when server approaches even in-between eating our meals = initially out of courtesy to them, but it's just habitual now and we hope helps protect us somewhat further???   Who really knows.

And yes, I know we all have to learn to live with it but as always you do you, and I'll do me, is our thoughts no matter what others think.   I still go out of my way to thank others for wearing their mask when I see odd ones that do nowadays.

Edited by FULLTIMEWANABE

4 minutes ago, FULLTIMEWANABE said:

We had COVD 3 times thus far (2 x Delta era & 1 x Omnicron era) in our family and every time it was connected to someone flying in and collecting them at the airport.   Ironically each and every time hubby and I went down sick starting on the 5th day after these events.  ..........................

And yes, I know we all have to learn to live with it but as always you do you, and I'll do me, is our thoughts no matter what others think.   I still go out of my way to thank others for wearing their mask when I see odd ones that do nowadays.

That was a very nice, thoughtful reply from someone who has gone through what you have.  Thank you!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Both of us contracted the virus Aug 21, even though DW is very intent on keeping us masked, hands cleaned many times a day, not touching our face, etc. We have a box of face masks in each of our vehicles and wear a new one each time we exit the vehicle. When we return to our vehicle, we open the door, reach in and grab a bottle of hand sanitizer, wipe them thoroughly, then remove the mask put in in an old WM bag we keep just for that use. Only then do we enter the vehicle.

I would not wish that virus on my worst enemy. I have COPD now for 24 years, and  breathing was so difficult I had to sleep sitting up for a week with that virus.

Jump to this year and I'm still coughing so much when I ly down it keeps DW awake, so I'm back to sleeping in my recliner at home. When we are in the MH sleeping is much easier, she's in the bedroom, I'm in the living room area sleeping in the reclining captains chair.

This month our middle daughter's entire family is down with the virus; including her grandchildren. School just started here in Indiana, so the source is obvious. She is a hospital administrator for their computer networks and follows hospital protocol even at home.

An aside to this thread is this from the FDA: https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-covid-19-and-medical-devices/home-otc-covid-19-diagnostic-tests

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We were both vaccinated first in Jan. 7, 2021 and scond one Feb. 4, 2021. Our first booster was Nov. 1, 2021 and the last was April 9, 2022. My memory isn't that good. Consulted my Covid card. Like several others we will get the next version as soon as available and the latest is that it should be in September. We have also taken the influenza vaccinations annually for 20 or so years. Both our primary care doctor and the VA strongly support both. We have also both had the new Shingrex vaccine for shingles. 

Good reminder I need to get shingix and the new Pneumonia vaccine. I had the first versions about ten years back. I was told by my doc to get the newer ones. Annual flu shots are a given for us too.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

13 hours ago, RV_ said:

I was told by my doc to get the newer ones.

I had the old shingles shot about 10 years ago after watching 2 of our neighbors go through a case of it. At that time I contacted my VA doctor's office and they ordered it and notified me when to come in. After we moved to Mesquite our new primary care doctor brought up that the new Shingrex is available and that we should both get it. We both got it through our local CVS as Medicare Part D will cover it 100% and that was more handy than going to the VA as they also will give it. The doctor sent us there as they can't bill Part D like the pharmacy can. 

Are Shingrix and zostavax the same thing?

The main difference is that Shingrix is more effective at preventing shingles (herpes zoster virus) than Zostavax (overall: 97.2% vs. 51%, respectively). Shingrix is an FDA-approved vaccine to help prevent the occurrence of herpes zoster (shingles).

Zostavax could not be administered to anyone taking steroids or other immuno-suppressants which left out a fairly large number of patients that were in the health categories that likely needed it most. For that and several other reasons Zostavax is no longer available in the US so Shingrix is the only option.

An interesting (to me) side note is that shingles shots are given in the US as a preventative measure while in other countries they are only given once someone has an active case of shingles. I am not sure I understand that philosophy.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

1 hour ago, Chalkie said:

An interesting (to me) side note is that shingles shots are given in the US as a preventative measure while in other countries they are only given once someone has an active case of shingles. I am not sure I understand that philosophy.

That is interesting. I did a search to see if the vaccine will help when you have shingles but all that I found was that you should get vaccinated even if you have previously had shingles. 

2 hours ago, Kirk W said:

That is interesting. I did a search to see if the vaccine will help when you have shingles but all that I found was that you should get vaccinated even if you have previously had shingles. 

I found this:  https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shingles/public/shingrix/index.html#:~:text=If you had shingles in,gone away before getting vaccinated.

Reading a little farther beyond the highlighted sections.... it reads "You should not get Shingrix if you currently have shinges."

Another article by the CDC states the same for Zostavax.

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years

7 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Medicare Part D will cover it 100%

My Medicare Part D plan lists Shingrix as a Tier 3 drug.  Last time I priced it, it was over $300 each for the two shots.

On Edit:  I just went and priced it again at my preferred pharmacy.  I can now get the vaccine for $184 each dose.

Edited by durangodon

1 hour ago, durangodon said:

My Medicare Part D plan lists Shingrix as a Tier 3 drug.  Last time I priced it, it was over $300 each for the two shots.

On Edit:  I just went and priced it again at my preferred pharmacy.  I can now get the vaccine for $184 each dose.

Every Medicare Part D plan is different.

https://www.shingrix.com/get-shingrix/shingles-vaccine-cost-coverage/

Full-timed for 16 Years

3 hours ago, durangodon said:

Using GoodRX you can get it for $155 at CVS or Target.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

20 hours ago, durangodon said:

You are correct. I just went back and looked mine up and we did have a copay.  I only show one copay for each of us at $74 each for both vacinations but that may be partly due to the fact that we got our first shots back in Nov. of 2020 and the second in March of 2021.  We paid a total of $148 for the two of us. I guess that I should not have trusted memory!  🥴 Maybe I just wanted to forget......

I am sure that what version of Part D each of us have also plays into the amount of the copay. 

Edited by Kirk W

Vaccines are covered by TFL and no copays so far.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998