Hauling your sidexside vertical?

Deezl Smoke

I have been trying to find info on what the issues might be hauling a fuel injected sidexside or other motorcycle etc., vertically. So far no real luck getting information. Called the local dealer and asked the service dept., but they had not heard of this and would not commit an answer.

I think if one can turn off the gas at the tank and let a carburetor engine run dry, and make sure the tank cap is above the gas tank level, one should be able to do this. The batteries are most all sealed now days, and the coolant systems are sealed well enough to be pressurized. The engine oil systems are mostly sealed to prevent water infiltration, of close to it. So what issues might you think of with hauling a machine vertical? Be it front up or back up?

I did find this thumbnail pic on youtube, but nothing about it in the video. I screenshot the pic and cropped it.

vertical side x side.jpg

I'm a work'n on it.

Run the diff vents up and forward, same for crankcase vent. Gas tank could be a problem, so I'd expect some sloshing, and load accordingly. When youngest son had his SxS, we ran the above vents to a common box, along with the belt housing. The box, and thus the vents, were kept just lightly pressurized by a computer fan that drew from above the roof. Can you tell we got some swamp? I've seen that video somehere, but I don't remember where, but I thought there was a discussion thread.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Re that photo; I sure do hope the owner / user did some MAJOR upgrading of the frame / suspension & body (which I somehow doubt happened). I see that there IS a ladder on the back but, trailer builders sometimes (often) do the BARE MINIMUM when it comes to such installations. 

I don't know if it would help but, back in the 1970s, GM specially modified Chevy Vegas (I believe that was the model) so that 30 Vegas could be loaded vertically on a special rail car (Vert-a-pac). That unique situation allowed GM to get Vegas to the west coast at a particular price point. I don't believe that was ever replicated to ship other vehicles.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/chevrolet-vega-vert-a-pac/

I am sure that it is possible to transport an ATV vertical as long as you allow it to sit on all four for a while to allow the oil to drain back to normal before you restart.

On the back of an HDT i would have no worries but on the rear of a 5er i believe it borders on insane!

My toyhauler was designed to carry extra weight behind the axles but i have found that the more weight i put in the garage the more the handeling is affected.  

A "normal" 5er is designed to have a certain weight on the pin with a balanced loading of cargo. The 5er in the pic is probably over the cargo carrying capacity!  I do not know what the ATV weighs in the pic but i do know that it will remove weight off the pin and add it to the axles.  I know there is one person on this forum who can tell us exactly how much given the lengths and weights.

All of this will add up to dangerous handeling! 

There are many utube videos of unballanced trailers crashing!

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

11 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

I can't but think that might be photoshopped but if it isn't it is totally foolish. Those side by sides weigh in at about 2000 pounds. A RZR is also 74" wide. Would that really fit between the ladder and license plate? 

You're right.  There's no structure on the rear of that fifth wheel which would support that much weight bouncing down the highway.

On 8/18/2022 at 6:15 PM, Darryl&Rita said:

Run the diff vents up and forward, same for crankcase vent. Gas tank could be a problem, so I'd expect some sloshing, and load accordingly. When youngest son had his SxS, we ran the above vents to a common box, along with the belt housing. The box, and thus the vents, were kept just lightly pressurized by a computer fan that drew from above the roof. Can you tell we got some swamp? I've seen that video somehere, but I don't remember where, but I thought there was a discussion thread.

Git it. Forgot about the diff vents. Mine will never be in deep water etc., but hauling near vertical is my conundrum. I would think that as long as I let the rig set for a few minutes horizontal after unloading, the oils and fluids should normalize. But since it does'nt seem to be a common method of transport, finding the issues before I try it, is not very easy.

I'm a work'n on it.

3 hours ago, Deezl Smoke said:

Git it. Forgot about the diff vents. Mine will never be in deep water etc., but hauling near vertical is my conundrum. I would think that as long as I let the rig set for a few minutes horizontal after unloading, the oils and fluids should normalize. But since it does'nt seem to be a common method of transport, finding the issues before I try it, is not very easy.

If you can do it on a pickup I would think an HDT would be easy enough. 

atv%20on%20truck-M.jpg

2 hours ago, folivier said:

Not disputing any of this except to say that my RZR 570 weighs about 1000# and is 50" wide.

Even so I am still not buying it. Granted the picture is not real clear but I can't see any mechanism for getting it up there. Also that is not a very big fiver and so at even 1000# it probably is around half the pin weight and would make that load horribly unbalanced. 

Edited by Chalkie

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg