Replacing Dump Valve

John Hutchins

I have to replace the dump valve for my black tank which seems easy enough. I see 4 bolts and I ordered a new one but the problem is the 2 rubber seals that came with it. The seals are not flat. One side of each seal has a smaller diameter with a raised face. Does this smaller diameter with raised face go in TOWARDS the Bladex valve or AWAY from the Bladex valve? I've heard that when I remove the old valve the old seals will fall out and I might not see what direction they were facing. Thanks for any help!

FWIW our Country Coach had electric dump valves. Pulled into an RV 'resort' and first thing I tried to do was to dump the black tank. Valve wouldn't open. Hmmmm? Only way to fix the issue was to remove the valve. But with half a tank of @#$@ behind that valve it wasn't going to be pretty. But I held my breath. Got a couple of buckets and a hose. I undid the screws VERY SLOWLY and let it out a bit by bit. Down the sewage hole a few times and I got MOST of it disposed of. But I still got half a bucket of the stuff in the bottom of the basement compartment.

Turns out the valve was fine. Just some paper stuck in it. Re assembled and it worked fine.

Yup it smelt. Yup it made a mess. Yup I guess much of it was mine!!! But the thing is it's a part of who we are. Humans and humans make waste. No big deal. Just get on with it. Wash up afterwards and put it down to one of life's fun jobs. Mind you marrying a farm girl and milking cows that have no manners helps.

On 8/18/2022 at 9:51 AM, John Hutchins said:
I've heard that when I remove the old valve the old seals will fall out and I might not see what direction they were facing. Thanks for any help!

Now that you know that , you can be careful enough to watch and see exactly how the seals come out .

You should be doing that , anyway . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

15 hours ago, bruce t said:

Yup it smelt. Yup it made a mess. Yup I guess much of it was mine!!! But the thing is it's a part of who we are. Humans and humans make waste. No big deal. Just get on with it. Wash up afterwards and put it down to one of life's fun jobs. Mind you marrying a farm girl and milking cows that have no manners helps.

Perfect! 😂🤣💯🖖

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

A little off topic- my fiver has valves  with cables to pull them. Everything discharges thru one line. Always being prepared for the worst, I bought a simple manual valve and installed it just before the exit in case one of the cables kinks, etc

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

Many of us Foretravelers have installed a "third valve" right at where the hose attaches. With it closed, there is little chance of anything coming out. Easy to slam it shut if the hose breaks, comes loose, etc. Also lets you rinse the black tank with the grey water. Just close the third valve and open the grey for a few seconds. Then open the third valve.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

40 minutes ago, kb0zke said:

With it closed, there is little chance of anything coming out.

If you remove the original valve, I think something might come out if the tank has much in it? The question was replacing the valve.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I wonder if everything came out alright? Sorry, couldn't resist.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961