Bugs

Rf170354

Mosquitoes are sometimes a problem in winter in the south but not in most areas. We volunteered on several national wildlife refuges in winter along the gulf coast where there were times that we needed repellant but I don't remember anywhere that it was much problem in the campground or most places that we spent much time. We were volunteer naturalists in Everglades NP from Dec. 1 through March 30 one winter and only occasionally was there any mosquito problem. I would suggest that you keep some repellant around for occasional use but it isn't something that you will need to do very often in most areas. If you go to any of the desert areas, no need for that either but you do need to use some caution in the desert about turning over rocks and such as there are scorpions there and repellant doesn't prevent their painful stings. Again, nothing to fear but only be aware of. 

Bugs are more common in the deep south in winter than where it freezes frequently but they are not a significant problem most places you are likely to be. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We keep a can of repellent outside where we or anyone around that wants it can use it. With the drought right now we are seeing virtually no mosquitoes. As soon as we get a little rain I suspect we will see more for a while as mosquitoes breed in standing water. We worry more about ants though as they are pesky and sneaky. We spray around every point of the RV that touches ground. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Worst bugs we have ever seen are up north. But speaking for Florida, skeeters mainly appear after a long dry spell followed by rain. Not  usual conditions in the winter where every front brings a two day downpour.

This does not apply to the Everglades area where they can be truly horrific.

Edited by agesilaus

10 hours ago, agesilaus said:

Worst bugs we have ever seen are up north. But speaking for Florida, skeeters mainly appear after a long dry spell followed by rain. Not  usual conditions in the winter where every front brings a two day downpour.

This does not apply to the Everglades area where they can be truly horrific.

We've always been pleasantly surprised at the lack of significant bugs at the NPS Midway Campground on the Tamiami Trail (US 41) in the Big Cypress National Preserve next door to the Everglades during our winter stays. 

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Hmm...well my wife's aunt had a house in Ochopee, not far from Midway, and we visited once. The skeeters were so bad that you could hold your hand to the window screen and there would be a solid black with skeeters outline when you took your had away.

Can's say we noticed that the skeeters we too bad in several other visits to the 'Glades over the year tho. We camped several times at a state park at the west end of the TaMiami trail a number of times and had visited a number of spots in the park and the Cypress Swamp. So maybe it was the season for mosquitos that one time in Ochopee.

But the worse bug problem I ever saw was in a Wisconsin park.

Edited by agesilaus

24 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Mosquitoes are rare on the deswert at any time of year.

Not so.  Mosquitoes are in the desert areas right now.  It's monsoon season.

https://www.azdhs.gov/preparedness/epidemiology-disease-control/mosquito-borne/mosquitoes-of-az/index.php#:~:text=Mosquitoes can be active year,testing the mosquitoes for viruses.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/travel/arizona/2021/11/04/mosquito-facts-west-nile-virus-what-do-they-eat/6242004001/

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

6 hours ago, agesilaus said:

Hmm...well my wife's aunt had a house in Ochopee, not far from Midway, and we visited once. The skeeters were so bad that you could hold your hand to the window screen and there would be a solid black with skeeters outline when you took your had away.

Can's say we noticed that the skeeters we too bad in several other visits to the 'Glades over the year tho. We camped several times at a state park at the west end of the TaMiami trail a number of times and had visited a number of spots in the park and the Cypress Swamp. So maybe it was the season for mosquitos that one time in Ochopee.

But the worse bug problem I ever saw was in a Wisconsin park.

I don't know if they spray or take any other mitigation measures at Midway. I just know insects have never been an issue during our many winter stays there.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

4 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

In the winter months they are no where to be found in the dry areas that everyone is drawn to. 

In Florida it's not just mosquitoes it's this little flying bugs that you can't really see but they bit like crazy and let's not forget the Love Bugs.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska