Tesla stock split: Date, day of record, and what happens next

RV_

Just FYI as investors - I am not advising anyone to buy Tesla or sell it. We can all goof and lose big bucks in the market and the reverse is true as well.

If you own Tesla stock today you will have three times the shares next Thursday at stock opening. If the stock soars just before then many may sell anticipating it selling for 1/3 the cost the day after. I bought this block right after the last split in 2020, a 5-1 split, for $350 and it has been ~600-$1200 since.

So may be a good buy opportunity or not. I am keeping my shares and may buy more after or not. Deciding in the next week. But good info.

Excerpt:

"August 17 (today) is a very important date for the Tesla stock split even though shares don’t divide for another week.

Earlier this summer, Tesla announced its intention to split its stock—a surprise to many, since Tesla shares split just two years earlier. But shareholders obviously approved the additional split, as did Tesla’s board of directors, which officially okayed the 3-to-1 split on August 5. That split is now just a week away, but today is an important date for those hoping to benefit from it, too. Here are all the critical dates you need to know about Tesla’s upcoming stock split:

• Wednesday, August 17, 2022: Anyone wanting to receive two extra shares for each TSLA share they own needs to be a shareholder of record by this date. If you own TSLA shares on August 17, one week later you will receive two additional shares for each you own.
  • Wednesday, August 24, 2022: One week after the shareholder of record cutoff is when TSLA shares actually split. After the stock market closes on August 24, TSLA shares will split 3-to-1, and by the next morning shareholders of record will see three times the amount of TSLA shares in their portfolio.
  • Thursday, August 25, 2022: This is the date that trading of the split-adjusted TSLA shares first takes place. Keep in mind, TSLA shares will begin trading at a price three times lower than their closing price on August 24 (because the split is 3-to-1). However, the overall market cap of Tesla will remain the same since there will be three times as many shares.

As for what Tesla’s new split-adjust share price will be, we won’t know until next week. But if TSLA stock on August 24 is trading around what it is today (about $910 at the time of this writing), TSLA shares would open around $303 per share on August 25."

More in the article here:

https://www.fastcompany.com/90780000/tesla-stock-split-date-day-of-record-and-what-happens-next

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

To all my fellow investors who are interested in Tesla shares the stock split is in progress and the price should be 1/3 or thereabouts less at tomorrow's opening bell, Thursday 25 August 2022, than today's close. I bought this block of Tesla after the last split so if anyone is interested it may be of interest.

I have not been involved in a positive split before so this is interesting for me in general and specifically since I own Tesla stock.

I am in now way suggesting anyone buy Tesla, just FYI for those interested.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire