Recent Issue With Roadside Asssistance

We have been taking cross country RV trips since 2004. Despite routine preventative maintenance we have had a number of needs for roadside assistance. I have always had policies with either Good Sam or Allstate Road Help in addition to the standard towing insurance that comes with the trailer/vehicle insurance. The last several years, Onstar for the truck also includes some roadside assistance help.

Our first two incidents were with a Class C which was under warranty and was towed by the roadside assistance provider to the closest dealer at no charge. Our next two events involved bearing failures on the trailer of the day. In both cases, the roadside assistance provider found and dispatched a repair service that in both cases replaced damaged parts and got us back on the road in a reasonable time.

This year we have had two issues with the trailer breaks over heating. In both cases, the roadside assistance provider, my insurance company, and Onstar would only arrange for a tow or tire change and refused to supply any contacts for roadside repair service. After numerous phone calls I was able to get roadside service and get back on the road. In both cases, 24 hour Diesel Truck/trailer service providers hooked me up with a service technician that could handle my situation.

Curious what others may have encountered recently when in need of roadside assistance for other than a tire change or tow.

Edited by trailertraveler

Howdy!

I’ve been using Coach Net now for several years after dumping GG ERS. used them several times even in Newfoundland and Alaska. Every time they have provided us with great service. They may cost more than others but I have always got what I paid for.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon

Edited by chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

6 hours ago, chiefneon said:

I’ve been using Coach Net now for several years after dumping GG ERS. used them several times even in Newfoundland and Alaska.

What kind of service did they provide. My recent issue is that Allstate, my Progressive insurance and Onstar will only provide a tow, tire service, jump start, or fuel delivery. They will no longer assist in helping to find onsite roadside repair.

May not be relevant to your question but I have had coachnet for my TT for more years than I can remember.  I have had 2 tows and a tire change, plus 1 lock out door opening on my truck. None of them went as smooth as advertised but the outcome was always satisfactory so I am happy. I hope this was a little useful.

Edited by bigjim

Tks for the replies! I posted this in HDT, I'd like to hear from them because there are several outfits that balk. Looked at Escapees, here's what kills them for me

"Regarding heavy-duty trucks: If your HDT also has sleeping quarters, it will need an additional policy. Per SafeRide’s guidelines, a vehicle with sleeping quarters is considered an RV; only one RV may be covered per policy."

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

9 hours ago, bigjim said:

May not be relevant to your question but I have had coachnet for my TT for more years than I can remember.  I have had 2 tows

Were the tows for the tow vehicle or a trailer? All the providers kept asking about the truck as if that was what they intended to tow. I was never sure they understood that the trailer could not move far and would have to be loaded on a flatbed. Never got as far as where they thought they were going to take the trailer for repair.

One towed the truck and trailer hooked up on a flat bed. This was near Dallas and it took a pretty good while for them to locate one large enough and dispatch it to my location. The truck was driven onto the trailer with TT hooked up and backed off it when we arrived at the repair shop.

We have had Good Sam and never had to use it. So on our way home from Florida to Michigan, we had a blowout near Chattanooga and since  it was 90+ degrees outside we decided to use the roadside service. After waiting over 2 hours for the service to arrive, I called the number the Good Sam person had sent me, and they told me they had a dispatch for a semi truck recovery and then it got cancelled an they couldn't help me. After more calls to Good Sam and getting nowhere, I changed it myself and went on. After several more calls to Good Sam and getting nothing but lip service and having to speak to a person out of country that I couldn't understand, they were out. 

I switched to Coach Net and last week lost a wheel bearing on our 5th wheel. It blew the tire out and ruined the wheel.  One call to Coach Net and they had a person out that got the spare on and followed us to the Indiana Welcome center in Hammond Ind. The people at Coach Net worked with us to find a mobile repair man that was able to get us up and running in a reasonable time frame and we were on our way.

Coach Net was only $20.00 more than GS, but showed how much better they were. We are so totally happy with there service. When you call them, you get a person from their office in Texas not some foreign country.  

16 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

What kind of service did they provide. My recent issue is that Allstate, my Progressive insurance and Onstar will only provide a tow, tire service, jump start, or fuel delivery. They will no longer assist in helping to find onsite roadside repair.

Howdy!

We had problems in Newfoundland with our MDT. CN sent out a repair service to find the problem. When that didn’t work the repair service called for a heavy duty tow service. The only thing they asked was where we wanted it to be towed to. We had another breakdown in Alaska. When the service arrived they called for another tow truck to tow our large 5er. They towed our 5er to a nearby campground and our MDT to a International repair center. We had a sidewall tire failure on our Smart Car. The Smart Cars don’t carry spares. When I contacted CN and advised them they sent out a tow truck and carried us to the nearest tire service center (DiscountTire) to have a new tire put on the Smart Car. CN never charged us for any of these services other than the cost of the tire for our Smart Car. The one thing I have read and learned regarding any ERS is they don’t like to respond to after hours and weekend calls. We try not to travel during these times to avoid any problems that could occur. 

We started our RVing travels years ago and we used Good Sams ERS. Our first trip to Alaska we had a breakdown in the Yukon. No public service and the RCMP came to rescue and called for a tow truck. They towed us to their service company. I called GS ERS and advised them of our break down. I was told by them since I didn’t call and request service they couldn’t pay for the tow. Even though I had no access the public service and was towed by law enforcement GS ERS ended up costing my a $2,000.00 tow bill. I dropped GS ERS and have had Coach Net ever since. 

None of the ERS are perfect but CN has done a good job for us. 

https://coach-net.com/rv-protect-service-agreement/

“Happy Trails’

Chiefneon

Edited by chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

9 hours ago, Larry Burkett said:

I switched to Coach Net and last week lost a wheel bearing on our 5th wheel. It blew the tire out and ruined the wheel.  One call to Coach Net and they had a person out that got the spare on and followed us to the Indiana Welcome center in Hammond Ind.

How were you able to tow the trailer with a blown out wheel bearing? In my cases with the breaks dragging I would not have wanted to tow the trailer anywhere.

We have had GS ERS, Coachnet and the Escapees road service since 1984.

GS ERS treated us good as well as bad and I finally dumped them after a flat on the truck.  The service agent told us on the phone that if the spare needed air, which was not covered with changing to the spare and would be an extra charge.  Prior to this we had poor service when we had to get the truck and trailer towed for the second time in a month.

In general, Coachnet treated us well the few times we needed them.

We never had an issue for use when we had Escapees Road Service, so I cannot speak for them.  I did see a few negative issues on them though.

When we needed to renew this year, we decided to go back to Coachnet even though it cost a bit more.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot