Where to buy local.

lappir

Where to buy local ?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Would you add your favorite "Local" place?

• Yes
    • No

The "Buy Local They Say" post has had a lot of input, discussions and such. How about a place to list the areas you bought local and would do again if ever in the area? 

I've added a poll. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Local owned or private ownership Hardware like ACE, Farm supply and RV dealers. Most of the time I looking a repair part rather a complete new Item. I'm finding with the availability of parts some RV dealers will only install their parts

For RV parts the best I found is; TX RV Supply San Antonio .https://texasrvsupply.com/

Clay

I will add, I always advertise for business that treat me right. Those I don't do business with any more also. That would be a long list on Ebay and Amazon, but not all.

Edited by ms60ocb
Added comment

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

4 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Your poll just askes yes or no?

I was going to make it a two or three question poll, but it would only allow one.  Did you vote? I forgot to, when I posted it, but maybe I just assumed everyone knew I would share. What I get for ass u me ing. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

10 minutes ago, lappir said:

Did you vote?

I did vote but with no definition of what a local store is, I don't think that the votes mean much. To me the local business would be totally locally owned and if more than 1 location very few of them. I think of stores like Ray's Apple Market, a grocery store in Council Grove, KS but I do not include the Brookshire's Grocery in Van TX beasue it is part of a chain of 180 stores over 3 states. I think of stores like the Hillard's Hardware, as there are only 2 of those, both owned and operated by the family, now in the forth generation, or Adams Lumber & Home Store in Council Grove, KS. Those are the ones that I think of first which I have and do shop in when in those areas. Since moving our base into Mesquite, TX which is a Dallas suburb, I rarely shop in what I consider to be a local, mom n pop store because the only one even close to us is an ethinic store where many of the workers are not fluent in Engilsh and I only speak English.

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Are you asking if we'd buy local rather than online? 

Definitely for everyday items like food or something I'd need that day like from a hardware or drug store.  

If at a place that I could easily receive a shipped package with no shipping charges and could wait longer for delivery and if it's a more technical or expensive item I'd probably order online.

There are just too many variables to do a poll.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Over the past couple of months, we have seen stores running short of items and not getting any restocking for weeks.  But I have found that I can find the item online at Walmart or Amazon and get it shipped to me.

Though I would rather buy local, I have found some items not available.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

4 hours ago, Kirk W said:

I I rarely shop in what I consider to be a local, mom n pop store because the only one even close to us is an ethinic store where many of the workers are not fluent in Engilsh and I only speak English.

That's a shame because you can find some real bargains. In today's society there is no reason to claim a language barrier when Android and Apple phones have easy to use translator apps.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

20 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

That's a shame because you can find some real bargains. In today's society there is no reason to claim a language barrier when Android and Apple phones have easy to use translator apps.

We're around 'ethnic' stores constantly.  Even if they don't speak fluently they understand just fine what I ask & I can figure out what they say.  They're used to dealing with all people and sometimes you even find some 'surprise' items that you'd never find elsewhere.... especially when it comes to food.  I love trying different things.

Full-timed for 16 Years

What I thought I asked in the poll was would a topic of listing "Local" merchants be useful? Sort of like the HDT Campground finder. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

3 hours ago, lappir said:

What I thought I asked in the poll was would a topic of listing "Local" merchants be useful? Sort of like the HDT Campground finder. 

I suspect there are far fewer campgrounds that will accept HDTs than there are local merchants. I just think a list like what I think you envision might be incredibly unwieldy.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

4 hours ago, lappir said:

Rod

It would really only be helpful if we were in an area close to the locations and needed something from that type of business. This is a big country and lots of local stores that sell various products. 

Necessity, price and distance is what determines where we will go to get stuff. We shop Walmart's alot because the wife worked for them for a lot years and when she retired, we got lifetime discount cards and they are usually close to where we stop and usually have our every day items. 

I recently tried to get propane tanks filled locally near a campground we were at. The local propane place would not fill RV tanks but they referenced us to the campground we were staying it who was charging about 25% more than the Tractor Supply place so we went to TSC. The nice thing about a smart car is the cost to drive a few miles is not very expensive. 

Edited by Star Dreamer

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

6 hours ago, lappir said:

Rod

What would be needed is to have categories:  States then Cities & within the city you'd have to break it down even more as to category:  grocery, casual restaurant, fine dining, hardware, gifts, clothing, etc.  You couldn't do all that on this site.

Full-timed for 16 Years