ADBLOCK PLUS

2gypsies

The past few months I've been having problems with getting on the Fox news site..... not that I want to read it for factual news but I like to see what their take is on different things.

I have used Adblock Plus for a couple years with absolutely no issues, including with Fox, until this started.  I made no changes to my computer.  I have taken Adblock Plus off the Fox site but the majority of time it puts the big banner on to remove Adblock Plus which I have done and it shows that I have done that.  Occasionally, the banner doesn't appear but the majority of time it does.  

I've contacted Adblock Plus and tried their various setting recommendations but nothing has changed.

No other web site gives me this problem. Just Fox.  

I'm on a desktop using Chrome.  Any ideas?

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

This is gonna sound snarky, use another ad blocker? I quit using ABP several years ago when I discovered "Stands Fair Adblocker". I don't notice any lag while it does its job, it give me good stats about the sites I visit and it gives me the opportunity to whitelist a site if I want to.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

The reason for still getting that banner msg. is ADblockPlus even after being erased is leaving a code line in the computer registry.

To remove is use CCleaner or Glary Utilities 5 (both have free versions) to edit and remove leftovers from deleted programs.

I tried using Chrome a few times and had abnormal problems that I never have with FireFox.

A few weeks ago I was having trouble logging in to a DoD website, I phoned the help desk and was told to use Chrome browser instead of FF. It did not work, locked my account; went back to FF, called help desk to unlock my account then logged-in normally. The help desk was confounded, saying they do not support FF browser.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

55 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

A few weeks ago I was having trouble logging in to a DoD website, I phoned the help desk and was told to use Chrome browser instead of FF.

I wonder if that is because the government uses Microsoft and the Edge browser and Chrome are so similar.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Ray I use Firefox (FF) on DOD sites including my pay without problem too after getting the notice that Edge is preferred. My FF is set to update automatically and some weeks has updated several times in a week.

I use FF's Pocket daily.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Derek I don't' know how to use the pocket thingy, never tried. Yea, It's hard to visualize FF is now version 103.0.2, When I began using FF it was version 3 or 5 or something in the single digits.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I have used a two fold approach.

Opera internet browser

duckduckgo.com  internet search tool.
Both claim to block ad tracking. Opera has a private mode, and also a built in VPN, if you need that sort of thing. 

Just as _RV mentioned, I have also received messages from some bank sites that they "prefer" MS edge instead of Opera, but no reason is given.   Occasionally, I will inadvertantly enter search criteria into EDGE and then I start to get crappy ads targeted for my search.

Still searching for the perfect combination of web browser / internet search tool.

Even though I've been useing computers before Windows was an operating system and when MOSAIC was the only browser available on BSD Unix, I still learn something new about computers daily.

+++++++++++_____________________________________+++++++++++

2021 Ram 3500  2017 Arctic Fox 25W(to be traded??)
HAM guy (Ke7FIX), photography, woodworking (mostly sawdust),
Electronics Technician,  USAF DAV

Going where everyone has gone before

event.png                                             

I use the Brave browser.  Ads never appear on most websites and in many video streams and it has an optional program where you can watch non-invasive ads to earn crypto credits to send to sites you choose to compensate them for lost ad revenue.  The default is to block all ads, one click will disable the blocker on individual sites if blocking makes the site act wonky.

It's based on the Chromium web core and is owned by an independent company but released as open source.

https://brave.com/

Edited by Lou Schneider

I use Brave sometimes too but haven't tried it on My Windows 11 machine yet just my Win 10 machines.

It does break some websites if set up for max security. Any of the really strict settings on many browsers will.

Is it free?

"Yes, Brave is completely free to use. Simply download the Brave browser for desktop, for Android, or for iOS to get started. You can also use Brave Search free from any browser at search.brave.com, or set it as your default search engine.

Brave also has some great, subscription-based features, including Brave Talk Premium and Brave Firewall + VPN."

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Lou,

Thanks for mentioning Brave because it has be a few years since I have used it. Because of your reminder I loaded it on my new Win 11 machine and boy has the interface changed! I love it!

Now I have to go back and retry the secure email program Proton and some others: https://www.lifewire.com/protonmail-review-4107075

Here is the article with more secure email systems: https://www.lifewire.com/best-secure-email-services-4136763

Have you used any of these end to end encrypted email services?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 8/9/2022 at 10:38 PM, 2gypsies said:

The past few months I've been having problems with getting on the Fox news site..... not that I want to read it for factual news but I like to see what their take is on different things.

I have used Adblock Plus for a couple years with absolutely no issues, including with Fox, until this started.  I made no changes to my computer.  I have taken Adblock Plus off the Fox site but the majority of time it puts the big banner on to remove Adblock Plus which I have done and it shows that I have done that.  Occasionally, the banner doesn't appear but the majority of time it does.  

I've contacted Adblock Plus and tried their various setting recommendations but nothing has changed.

No other web site gives me this problem. Just Fox.  

I'm on a desktop using Chrome.  Any ideas?

I just tried foxnews.com on Firefox with ABP and got the banner, slid the switches over to unblock it and it displayed fine, same with Edge. I don't have Chrome loaded except on my phone.

Brave is a secure ad free browser and it got a small banner at the bottom. If you want adblocking and script blocking try Brave which is free see if you like it.

Here's what it looks like on Brave browser:m3I8UNwl.jpg

I could navigate fine around the small banner of FoxNews on Brave browser.

The ABP banner blocks the whole page on the others with ADP. 

Hope that helps.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

31 minutes ago, RV_ said:

I just tried foxnews.com on Firefox with ADP and got the banner, slid the switches over to unblock it and it displayed fine, same with Edge. I don't have Chrome loaded except on my phone.

Brave is a secure ad free browser and it got a small banner at the bottom. If you want adblocking and script blocking try Brave which is free see if you like it.

Here's what it looks like on Brave browser:m3I8UNwl.jpg

I could navigate fine around the small banner of FoxNews on Brave browser.

The ADP banner blocks the whole page on the others with ADP. 

Hope that helps.

Thank you.  I 'think' I have it solved although I don't know why.  I uninstalled AdBlockPlus - had to remove the extension separately after uninstall. cleared cookies, turned computer off/on, installed the plain AdBlock (not Plus) and now it works.  Computers sure are fussy!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

4 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

Thank you.  I 'think' I have it solved although I don't know why.  I uninstalled AdBlockPlus - had to remove the extension separately after uninstall. cleared cookies, turned computer off/on, installed the plain AdBlock (not Plus) and now it works.  Computers sure are fussy!

Great!

Fussy? Tell me about it! 💯

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2022 at 10:15 AM, Lou Schneider said:

I use the Brave browser. 

I'm glad you mentioned BRAVE as a browser.  I just recently re-downloaded it after I watched this video on YouTube Privacy with browsers. I used it briefly a couple of years ago, but don't recall why I stopped.  I just noticed that the BRAVE browser is using the GPU in addition to the CPU. The other browsers I've used in the recent past (Opera, Edge) don't. Is this a good idea, is the browser faster by using the GPU combined with the CPU? I don't know.

The author of the video seems to have a compelling method of explaining the who, what and why of computer privacy and operating systems as well as browsers and search engines.  SO I looked up another video she made about search engines.  It was convincing enough that I've made some changes to my routine for searching for things.

Here is the video she produced about the various search engines.
privacy with search engines  No secret, google is not your friend.

Oddly, the short video within a video discusses "hot lists" which were the precursor to bot driven search engines.  I recall having at least 5 links to web link lists before Mosaic / Mozilla (now Firefox)and Netscape came up with the a search engine.

Hopefully this is useful to someone

Edited by franco-bolli
Added observation of GPU usage by Brave browser. and content correction

+++++++++++_____________________________________+++++++++++

2021 Ram 3500  2017 Arctic Fox 25W(to be traded??)
HAM guy (Ke7FIX), photography, woodworking (mostly sawdust),
Electronics Technician,  USAF DAV

Going where everyone has gone before

event.png